Historical 4 figure missile units in RRtK

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Re: Historical 4 figure missile units in RRtK

Postby ZorroGames » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm

LOL, I find Longbows interesting because they are so much a poster child for technology strengths and weaknesses. So powerful in one battle and so... not..' in another. Not an expert on Longbows or RRtK but AFAIK nobody using missile weapons on foot had as much an influence on battles like the English/Welsh with the Longbow. 8-)

And as to genealogy, ;) from oral records my heritage is Spanish (M,) Cherokee (P,) Scots (M,) Irish (P,) Dutch (M,) French (P,) and German/Jewish (M.) Roughly in that order for supposed "most" heritage, who really knows. M=Maternal, P = Paternal. Several connections with Canada in there, plus A Quebec born wife, and two of four kids from India. That might predispose me to bias I guess. ;)

I am not surprised that the four figure stands are in RRtK (are they, I have to go back and re-read,) which is fantasy with historical lists in supplements. I can't get to my copy right now (sleeping dog) but most of the humans in the rules are identified with a historical for the armies IIRC. Are any of them clearly Anglo Centric? That might be a clue as to how to treat Longbows in RRtK - which I am still learning. :geek:
Gracias,

Glenn

Avatar from Desert Documentary by Kieran McCarty - Soldado de Cuera illustration
http://www.library.arizona.edu
Kindly edited by Biddo
SOLDADO DE CUERA
Illustrated by
José Cisneros, El Paso
ZorroGames
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby THW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 pm

kentreuber wrote:
So, as I said, I'm trying to figure out whether the 4 figure archer unit is something that's designed to be reserved for fantasy.

Kent

Me too. :) I'll see what David says, the author. I'd use 4 figures if I had them based that way. Just increase the point cost a little.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby graydo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 am

THW wrote:
kentreuber wrote:
So, as I said, I'm trying to figure out whether the 4 figure archer unit is something that's designed to be reserved for fantasy.

Kent

Me too. :) I'll see what David says, the author. I'd use 4 figures if I had them based that way. Just increase the point cost a little.

When I was building the historical armies book I just didn't see any missile troops that I thought warranted four figures to a base. With fantasy armies you can always do what you like and I know there are some four figure missile troops.
graydo
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby kodiakblair » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 pm

I hate to say it but the Longbow really was tough on us Scots hence The Bruce advice
" Avoid them in the Field " so maybe 3 figure units are enough.

Sorry I can't answer your question Kent

K.B
kodiakblair
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 pm

I'd go with four if you want it but you'll have to increase point coast. The extra figure will help when taking the Involved in Melee test but if you're in melee with longbow you're already in trouble.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby kentreuber » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Most of my bows are based 2 or 3 to a stand. So if 4-to-a-stand bows are just for fantasy, that's fine with me.
kentreuber
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:15 am

Personally I would only base 4 figure per for units that were dual armed melee units like the Persian Immortals who are sued to fighting clump\ed together.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby ZorroGames » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 am

THW wrote:I'd go with four if you want it but you'll have to increase point coast. The extra figure will help when taking the Involved in Melee test but if you're in melee with longbow you're already in trouble.

Ouch, that is painful even to think about in almost any rules set I have played in....

About the only "missile unit" with decent melee (other than behinds stakes/walls) would be (dwarf of course) crossbows in 2nd edition Fantasy Rules! which, if memory serves fought melees decently. If rules let the figures shoot as missile and melee as bog infantry then perhaps... no, the missile troops should be for softening up melee units (like cannons in Napoleonic warfare.)
Gracias,

Glenn

Avatar from Desert Documentary by Kieran McCarty - Soldado de Cuera illustration
http://www.library.arizona.edu
Kindly edited by Biddo
SOLDADO DE CUERA
Illustrated by
José Cisneros, El Paso
ZorroGames
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Deiyosh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 am

I hate to say it but the Longbow really was tough on us Scots hence The Bruce advice
" Avoid them in the Field " so maybe 3 figure units are enough.

Sorry I can't answer your question Kent
Deiyosh
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby MallieCamacho » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 am

I a ton acknowledge as valid with you, from what little I know, that the last consequence of the HYW depended on political, key and authority fine causes particularly, anyway the longbow used to be a brilliant adequate weapon to have emulators and shippers in various present day armed forces, Burgundian for representation. There were enormous HYW triumphs credited to the longbow that continue to layout the social fantasies around the French and English/Welsh relationship to this present day (brave cocker-ney sparrow massacres Euro toff, among others), so this is an essential emblematic weapon as a base.
Pakistan Latest & Breaking News
MallieCamacho
Rep 3
Rep 3

Previous

Return to Talomir Tales and other Fantasy