Stick em up, pardner

Anything non-ruleset related. Modelling, Terrain, Miniatures, Dice... If it's to do with gaming but isn't a ruleset then put it here.

Stick em up, pardner

Postby al_infierno » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:37 am

My buddy got me into painting minis a couple weekends ago, since I got down the rabbit hole of buying minis for wargames I figure I might as well. These are the ones that came out best so far (aside from some Kraut infantry, whose gray uniforms are ultra easy to paint :lol: )

C&C would be much appreciated!
Attachments
pinkertons.jpg
pinkertons.jpg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 77 times
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
al_infierno
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Stick em up, pardner

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:34 am

That is some good brush work, especially if you've only been painting for a few weeks.

The vivid blue coats & hats are painted very well - & they would be the source for any minor criticisms anyone would have. The minor criticisms would come only from those who would insist on historically accurate colors.

Dusters were white, light gray, light tan or an off-white. They were worn to help keep cloths clean & worn by some outlaws & lawmen because they could conceal a long gun.

Slickers were another long coat worn that were rubberized to keep clothes dry. Slickers were brown, tan, or yellow.

Frock coats came in a variety of colors with black, dark blue & gray being the most common.

The 1880s, 1890s & the early 20th century saw an explosion of color as chemical companies were creating new dyes and more expensive clothing would have been dyed with dyes that held their color longer - more colorfast.

It would not be unusual to see a cowboy in a pink shirt - the shirt may have been intentionally dyed pink or it may have begun as a red shirt that faded over time.

Anyway, the only criticism you would have would be some button counter saying "Pinkertons didn't wear blue" - don't let them get to you - they look great.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby al_infierno » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:40 am

Thank you! I appreciate the historical context because I've based a small pile of Artizan wild west minis that I haven't decided how to color yet. I might go for a more historical approach for the Marshals, cowboys, and outlaws ;)
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
al_infierno
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 am

Some good color references would be the following films where the costumers worked hard to get things right:

Tombstone (1993 version with Kurt Russel & a boat load of great actors)
The Shootiest (John Wayne's last movie)
Open Range (Robert Duval & Kevin Costner)
Monte Walsh (the one with Tom Seleck)

Also you might take a look at some of the reenactor sites like Arizona Ghost Riders and old west clothing stores like River Junction.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Return to The Hobby