Colonial Adventures Guidance

Answers to questions on other rules.

Re: Colonial Adventures Guidance

Postby Cyrano » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 pm

https://imgur.com/a/IJcaO8A

I am forever the worst with getting photographs to appear properly, but here are the lads deployed for their first excursion. It would seem I will, indeed, have ca. 4-6 players so I'm glad I went with the double-sized board.

All British REPS have been rolled and the officers named after characters from one of my wife's preferred podcasts, "Wooden Overcoats". They suit.

The day's fox, gentlemen!
AKA Kriegsspiel 6

"Gentleman songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we..." -- The Whiffenpoofs
Cyrano
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Cyrano » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:38 am

Can't say we did everything right (corrections welcome) but I had a good time running it.

We'll finish next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om6Yx3ePkB0
AKA Kriegsspiel 6

"Gentleman songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we..." -- The Whiffenpoofs
Cyrano
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Cyrano » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 pm

...and, to confirm for those so inclined, we will be playing out part the second beginning at 1900 CST TOMORROW.

I'll post the livestream once it goes up.

Best,

Jim
AKA Kriegsspiel 6

Cyrano
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Cyrano » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:32 am

SIX hours in and we're still at it.

Having a good time!

Livestream is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHhaSeF_l1o

Two questions:

1. For the "Test of Wills", does the unit testing have to be able to see the unit that's come within 12''? Must the unit causing the test be 45-degrees to the front? Also, 12'' from what? Any part of the unit? The leader? If from a particular figure, would other units that block LoS prevent the check?

2. It seems like carbine-mounted cavalry should be treated a bit differently than those with lances. If they are confronting a band of Zulus and pass 2d6. the "Test of Wills" says they must charge. This seems like a really bad idea. Is that working as intended?
AKA Kriegsspiel 6

Cyrano
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby flashcove » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I treat cavalry armed with carbines more like mounted infantry. I have them fire while mounted using the firing mounted modifiers (- 2d6) from their greatest range. With normal or ferocious units, this will cause them to follow the cav. Used properly, this will draw off the unit from the main attack, and increase the distance, if successful from the main body, pulling them away from their tribal commander, making them activate on their own.

I know the rules say mounted infantry must dismount to fight, but units like the Natal Native Police, Natal Carabiniers, and Frontier Light Horse used methods that can't fit in the normal rules. They acted as gadflies, to draw off units. They dismounted, fired at long range, quickly remounted and rode farther away, repeating this until the enemy unit was too far away to be dangerous, and would then ride away. A European unit can only perform 2 actions, so I simulate their methods by firing mounted and withdrawing, pulling the enemy with them.

The problem that will raise it's ugly head is that the enemy reaction happens as soon as they are fired on, so, if the NC fire and then move, the enemy will perform their reaction before the NC can move on their activation. They can be caught, and they will be in open order.

The NNP, NC and FLH were small units, so mine are only 4 - 8 figures. A very good roll will inflict 1 casualty. Since they are firing mounted mounted, I don't allow the all-powerful Volley Fire. If you are lucky, you can repeat this on the same enemy unit throughout the game. If you are not, they get caught and slaughtered. They have helped to win a Zulu game or two.

Working within the rules to find a "historical" result.
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby Cyrano » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks for this.

Couple questions:

1. We came to agree re: treating the mounted rifles differently than lance-armed cavalry. This will require tweaks to the reaction tables, though, no?

2. What is your practice re: the need for LoS to trigger a "Test of Wills"?

Jim
AKA Kriegsspiel 6

Cyrano
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Cyrano wrote:Thanks for this.

Couple questions:

1. We came to agree re: treating the mounted rifles differently than lance-armed cavalry. This will require tweaks to the reaction tables, though, no? Correct

2. What is your practice re: the need for LoS to trigger a "Test of Wills"? I playit as written, with 12" distance and LOS. If no LOS, no test taken.

Jim
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Previous

Return to Everything Else