Back Alley Bright Lights - Muggie Zhuh-Zhuh

OFFICIAL THW Q&A. This is the ONLY forum that will regularly get official answers from Ed himself on rules questions. Please include the ruleset being discussed in the subject heading when posting a new question. Common issues such as In Sight, and order of reactions, will be stickied as they come up for easy reference.

Back Alley Bright Lights - Muggie Zhuh-Zhuh

Postby Erskinew2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi,

Do you use the Special D6 Rule (page 35) to determine if an encounter is with a Zhuh-Zhuh or a Muggie Zhuh-Zhuh?

Thanks in advance.
Erskinew2
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Back Alley Bright Lights - Muggie Zhuh-Zhuh

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

You could just choose whichever you want, or if you want randomness, you could roll a d6. The last Zuhh-Zuhh generator table I saw that had actual options for the Muggie Zuhh-Zuhh was in 5150 New Beginnings where 2d6 were used. Five out of the 11 possibilities on 2d6 resulted in Muggie Zuhh-Zuhhs, so you could roll 1d6 & read the result like a success die - (1-3) it's a Muggie Zuhh-Zuhh & (4-6) it's a regular Zuhh-Zuhh.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Erskinew2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:02 am

Thanks!
Erskinew2
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby BigWalleye » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Atomic Floozy wrote:You could just choose whichever you want, or if you want randomness, you could roll a d6. The last Zuhh-Zuhh generator table I saw that had actual options for the Muggie Zuhh-Zuhh was in 5150 New Beginnings where 2d6 were used. Five out of the 11 possibilities on 2d6 resulted in Muggie Zuhh-Zuhhs, so you could roll 1d6 & read the result like a success die - (1-3) it's a Muggie Zuhh-Zuhh & (4-6) it's a regular Zuhh-Zuhh.

AF, please excuse a noobie to THW for contradicting a mainstay like yourself, but your probabilities aren't quite right. There are 36 possible results for a roll of 2D6, and the number of occurrences of any one total varies from 1 (for a total score of either 2 or 12) to 6 (for a total score of 7). I don't have a copy of 5150 NB, so I don't know what the rolls which yield a Muggie were. But if 5 different totals give a Muggie, then the number of results could vary from 9 out of 36 to (25% chance) to 24 out of 36 (67%). If the "Muggie roll" was 2 through 6 (or 8 through 12), then there would be 15 out of 36 results giving a Muggie, or 42%. That would fall between 2 out of 6 and 3 out of 6 on 1D6.

BTW, to get a probability of 50% on 2D6, you need to count rolls of 4 through 7, or 7 through 10. Either one gives 18 successful results out of 36.
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

You are certainly correct with the math. I took another look at the table and indeed rolling a Muggie is 25%. It is the only table in the entire 5150 series I've been able to find that randomized the occurrence of a Muggie Zuhh-Zuhh. All other rule books give the player the option to just choose. Anyway, though it is less than 50%, I still think the success roll is the easiest way to go. You could instead do a challenge roll where a roll of (1-2) would yield a Muggie & (3-6) yield a larger Zuhh-Zuhh.

I'm not a real number crunching kind of girl - which is why I don't play the latest edition of GURPS or Traveler. Or any game that involves vectors!
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby BigWalleye » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 pm

A simple-minded analysis: Is every second Zhuh-Zhuh I meet a Muggie? Or does that give me too many of the little climbers? If you want half the Zhuhs to be Muggies, use 1-3 on a D6. If you want less than half, use 1-2. And if you want mostly big guys, make it a Muggie on a 1 only.
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Which is probably why the Muggie Zuhh-Zuhh was taken out of the table. Back Alleys Bright Lights takes place mostly in Little Hsihia where there are a lot more aliens. You would certainly encounter more Muggies there than say in the Financial District. This gets back to your basic story in your game as to how frequently you encounter various aliens. You are absolutely right in your simple analysis that it boils down to how many Muggies might be found in an area. If you encounter a gang of Zuhh-Zuhh thieves, there would be a higher number of Muggies & a lower number of muscle guys. If you encounter a gang that does more extortion than stealing, the number of Muggies would be lower.

Your simple analysis is spot on as to how I would choose to determine if the Zuhh-Zuhh I've encountered is a Muggie or not. In my view of New Hope City, I would expect to meet a higher number of Muggies in Little Hsishia or the area around the Ag-Domes.
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby THW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:19 am

Easy way, there's always one Muggie Zhuh-Zhuh in every Monkey Boy group of 2 or more. Meet one Zhuh-Zhuh? That'd be the big kind.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Ed Sez