New Scale, New You

Anything non-ruleset related. Modelling, Terrain, Miniatures, Dice... If it's to do with gaming but isn't a ruleset then put it here.

New Scale, New You

Postby Mehman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:43 am

So, I dived headfirst into 15mm and made two orders for some minis. The first batch are from Splintered Light - Dark Dwarven Cultists. How cool is that?! Anyway, I'm making them into a death cult that uses necromancy to raise the fallen dead... dwarven dead! Both Splintered Light and Rebel Minis have a box set for this army - Cult of the Bloody Sun or something like that - but I wanted more models per base, so buying it in sets was called for.

You have to understand something: I've been a 28mm wargamer since I started seriously in the hobby 12+ years ago. This feels like heresy to say, but I think 15mm is more fun than the "normal size". These little guys have a surprising amount of detail to them and battles can be played on a 3'x3' mat where only skirmish games could be fielded with 28mm figures. Needless to say, RRtK will be run almost exclusively. There's something about that ruleset that's perfect. Don't know what exactly, but I love it.

It's not that 15mm has usurped the 28mm field for me. Not at all. It's more like this is a way to field the big battles I've always wanted to play.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: New Scale, New You

Postby Pzrjager » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 am

Cool, please share pics here once you get them painted :).

I'm new to the hobby and really like 1/72 scale for both the cost and size. I might do 15mm for rank and file games some day.
Pzrjager
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby flashcove » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I really enjoy RRtK. Got a couple of entries on my blog.
https://hafer2ken.blogspot.com/2014/04/grishnaks-grief.html
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby CthulhuKid » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Funny, I just started re-reading RRtK myself. I was going to run a me as a necromancer leader in the Undead realms and try to take over the world kind of scenario.

I want to mess with the army list a little, though. I remember back in the day playing something (probably Warhammer) that had an undead dragon in it, and I kinda want that in the Undead army list. Because....zombie dragon!

Then again, I could handle that as a possible Hero to be recruited....hmmmm..

Maybe I should take this to the fantasy thread.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 pm

There's something in the works.... :)
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Atomic Floozy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:10 pm

I would move to a smaller scale, but no one makes classical Amazons in the smaller scales.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Mehman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:44 am

Have you tried Lone Gunman Games, Floozy? They have some Amazons, though I'm not sure they're what you're looking for.

Woo hoo! Something in the works :D
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Atomic Floozy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:54 am

The Lone Gunman Games Amazons are not classical Amazons. For starters, they have no mounted Amazons. I'm afraid they would need a lot of work for my tastes. The oversized weapons & the 80s Disco shoulder pads would have to go.
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby craigt13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:03 am

I haven't really looked closely at them, but Eureka also does some 15mm Amazons.
craigt13
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Atomic Floozy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:32 am

The 28mm Eureka Amazons are great. I have lots of them. In 15mm, Eureka carries the Irregular "Women Warriors", which I had at one time. They are huge & tower over other 15mm figures & the sculpting is - they are an attempt at cheesecake Amazons - chainmail bikinis (or topless) with fur boots & cloaks. Helmets with huge horns. I sold them years ago.

I'm looking primarily for the Amazons found in Greek, Roman, Persian and Chinese art and histories. They are pictured primarily as Scythians and other Eurasian nomads. Before the Greeks had extensive contact with these peoples, they depicted the Amazons as wearing Greek attire.

Here's an episode about them from the Smithsonian Channel:

https://youtu.be/mycruAvfWV8
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Return to The Hobby