Enhanced tank combat rules for NUTS & HHNF

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Enhanced tank combat rules for NUTS & HHNF

Postby EasyEight » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Howdy all,
A thread on NUTS weapon APR got my gamer ADD going and I wrote up some rules for APR over range, APR and target aspect, types of ammo, and a tank control sheet. Let me know what you think!

HHTF enhanced AFV rules vDRAFT 091018.pdf
(877.75 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Cheers!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Re: Enhanced tank combat rules for NUTS & HHNF

Postby flashcove » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Nooooo! But well done!
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby Wargamecastle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 am

What have I done!? :D
Very cool stuff, and I'll be using some (or most... or maybe all) of it for dedicated AFV engagements.
Keep up the great work!
Wargamecastle
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Wargamecastle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:14 am

I really like the elegant and simple way that oblique angles are handled in the Enhanced tank rules, and i'm looking forward to trying out the white phosphorous stuff since that was such a common part of US tank strategy.
I was wondering if I could impose on you for a quick example of the canister round in action, just so I can confirm how it works?
Also, since we were discussing the 20mm AC APR in nuts 4e, I was wondering if you could confirm the APRs for the American and British 37 and 40mm AA guns? (Understandably after so many versions, there a few typos.)
As always thanks in advance, and thanks for the fun and versatile rules!
Wargamecastle
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby EasyEight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Wargamecastle wrote:I really like the elegant and simple way that oblique angles are handled in the Enhanced tank rules, and i'm looking forward to trying out the white phosphorous stuff since that was such a common part of US tank strategy.
I was wondering if I could impose on you for a quick example of the canister round in action, just so I can confirm how it works?
Also, since we were discussing the 20mm AC APR in nuts 4e, I was wondering if you could confirm the APRs for the American and British 37 and 40mm AA guns? (Understandably after so many versions, there a few typos.)
As always thanks in advance, and thanks for the fun and versatile rules!

Thanks! I'd used the APR6 rating in NUTS4e and Compendium for the 37mm and 40m guns. The Canister round acts like an Infantry weapon like an MG. It can attack 6 infantry and un-armored targets in a 3" wide by 18" long area from the cannon firing the round.

Example: An M3A1 Stuart tank is supporting a squad of USMC facing a Japanese Banzai charge. The TC is exposed firing a .30 cal MG, while the radioman fires the hull mounted .30 cal MG. Since the 37mm mounted by the Stuart has no HE rounds, and AP would be useless against infantry, the tank crew fires 37mm canister at the attacking infantry. The player uses a ruler or tape measure to define a 3" wide by 18" long "danger" area in front of the tank's main gun that the canister round can effect. Then the player makes an infantry Shooting Attack against up to 6 targets in that area, starting with the closest target in that "danger" area. Resolve each attack like an Infantry Shooting attack, rolling on the Shooting Damage table of there is a hit. All the targets attacked in the "danger" area are also Outgunned when checking for Duck Backs. The REP 4 gunner rolls 3,4,4,5,6,1 against "Chargers" (infantry charging) for a 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 5. The 5 and 7 resulting in two misses, the 8, 8 results in Duck Backs for two figures and the 9, 10 are hits. The player makes two rolls against the Japanese REP4 on the Shooting Damage table, scoring a 3, 5. One figure goes Duck Back and one figure is Out of the Fight. Final tally, of 6 charging infantry 2 continue their charge, 3 Duck Back into cover and one is injured and Out of the Fight.

Cheers!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby General » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 am

The German Brumbar "Grizzly Bear" tank could fire canister, too.
General
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Wargamecastle » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 am

Excellent! Thank you for the iron clad, detailed example. It works the way I thought it would, but it's always nice to know for sure. Thanks as well for the confirmation on the APR numbers in 4E/Compendium. The rules for white phosphorous hitting inside a reinforced structure, like a concrete bunker, also gives me an idea for flamethrower weapons to inflict a hit/roll on the damage table, on everyone inside.

On a side note I recently learned that the Germans deployed recoilless rifles fairly early in the war (on Crete), and that they developed and used several varieties, 75mm and up throughout the war. The scope of the Second World War was such that it seems no matter how much know, there's always something new to learn, and of course the technical stuff only scratches the surface. The stories of the people who were there, and their experiences, are what's truly incredible.
Wargamecastle
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to NUTS, FNG and More