What Kind of THW Gamer Are You?

Anything non-gaming related.

Re: What Kind of THW Gamer Are You?

Postby General » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:17 am

Ah, is there a scenario card or rules for the "Curse of the Golden Monkey" game? Sounds intriguing... ;)
General
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby stryderg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm

If you are ever get the opportunity to play in one of Ed's convention games, DO IT!
Those are about the only games I've seen that generally get a round of applause after it's done.
Usually everyone gets a star and a grunt or two and specific goals for your team. You may start on the same side as some other players, but that doesn't usually last long.
Goals like:
Professor X: find the mystical what'sit and bring it back to the boat
Nazis: Capture Professor X and bring him back to the boat
Mercs: Raid the village, kidnap the chief's daughter and bring her back to the boat
Villagers: Sink the boat
Sailors: Keep the boat safe, and don't let anyone on board that can't pay for passage
Temple Guards: Protect he mystical what'sit
Kong: NPC that shows up at a random location and...Kong Smash!
Oh, and the ship has to leave with the tide, so there's a turn limit.

Good times.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 pm

General wrote:Ah, is there a scenario card or rules for the "Curse of the Golden Monkey" game? Sounds intriguing... ;)

Used Larger Than Life, but since looking at the pics linked here, may be time to update a Pulp set with streamlined mechanics. Objectives were different for different people and given in private. Also, best...boat...ever!

http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/tales-of-golden-monkey-bayou-wars-2012.html
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Buffrockjaw » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:37 am

THW wrote:
General wrote:Ah, is there a scenario card or rules for the "Curse of the Golden Monkey" game? Sounds intriguing... ;)

Used Larger Than Life, but since looking at the pics linked here, may be time to update a Pulp set with streamlined mechanics. Objectives were different for different people and given in private. Also, best...boat...ever!

http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/tales-of-golden-monkey-bayou-wars-2012.html

If you do a new pulp set, can it have sanity rules so I can add Lovecraftian stuff please ?
Buffrockjaw
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Deathworks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I originally got hooked by 2HDC but was turned off by the requirement to use miniatures. Over time, I learned to welcome the free-moving PEFs.
The one thing that sets THW apart for me is the elegant way how the NPCs act independently of the player's decisions. I am a solitaire player, and I want the game engine to surprise me, and the tables in the various THW titles allow just for that.
By now I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to care about time, so the stream-lining of the rules is not an advantage for me and I am looking more towards the complex rules with the full reaction system and skills and attributes to spice things up.

Yours,
Deathworks
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Previous

Return to General Discussion