Anything non-gaming related.

What Kind of THW Gamer Are You?

Postby THW » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 pm

THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Re: What Kind of THW Gamer Are You?

Postby EasyEight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:09 pm

I prefer Co-Op games in which each player has a Star, supported by Grunts, going head to head against the simple yet effective "paper & pencil AI" built into the THW games. While big battles are fun, I prefer skirmish level games -- NUTS!, 5150 and Talomir Tales. I typically use the BattleBoard for simple encounters, but I do like terrain and moving figures around as well, so I do bunch of that. Especially in NUTS where PEF and unit movement is more fun on a tabletop with terrain.

Cheers!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Atomic Floozy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Co-op games against the game's AI? Playing against the AI is easy compared to the shenigans of the other players! Played in Ed's infamous "Curse of the Golden Monkey" game - One player stole a seaplane & bailed on us, and another, well that dastardly fellow bribed the captain of the steamer to sail off leaving us abandoned on an uncharted island. An island with a giant ape, dinosaurs and Nazis - me a poor little rich girl all alone (my fiancée, Arizona Bob had been devoured by a giant iguana looking lizard) on a desert island with no night life. Do you know how boring it is to date Nazis?

And don't get me started on the Tarzan game where I was just about to win it all, I was kidnapped by apes - apes with less than honorable intentions I might add!

Then there was that time on Barsoom....

All kidding aside, I like playing THW games, because no matter how you play (solo, co-op or head-to-head), the games weave a story, which doesn't always happen with a lot of games. And even if you don't win, they are a load of fun.

These days I play solo except for once a year when I make it to a convention.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Tekawiz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 pm

EasyEight wrote:I prefer skirmish level games -- NUTS!, 5150 and Talomir Tales. I typically use the BattleBoard for simple encounters, but I do like terrain and moving figures around as well, so I do bunch of that. Especially in NUTS where PEF and unit movement is more fun on a tabletop with terrain.

Cheers!

That's also how I prefer to play.

Terrain if you have it, adds a lot to the game.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby EasyEight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I have spent waaayyy too much money on 28mm terrain, but it is fun to play with. Here's a Stalingrad game table from a few years back:

https://sbminisguy.files.wordpress.com/ ... g_1017.jpg
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Buffrockjaw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Sometimes I like crunch, sometimes I like simple. Sometimes Sci-Fi, sometimes Fantasy. A friend of mine once said I have gaming ADD. THW is a perfect fit.
Buffrockjaw
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby stryderg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:42 pm

I play solo (when I play). But I've got far too many interests to be able to afford minis and terrain for them all. So I'm loving the counters. After seeing Ed's write up on using double sided tape to beef up the counters...Let's just say I see a Hammer and Anvil game in my future.

I like a table, just don't have the time/space to setup what I want. So battle boards work for me.

As for 'grit' or crunchiness, I've bought enough of Ed's rules that I've probably got a table for that somewhere.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Mehman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm the crunchy, simulator-type gamer, I suppose. If given a choice between Pathfinder or D&D, I'll pick GURPS. When I first discovered THW, my mind exploded with possibilities.

"You mean I can do anything with After the Horsemen?"
The ruleset replied to my query. "'Tis true, my child. You will not break me, for there is always Obviously Dead."

After taking up that nugget of wisdom, the world opened.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 am

Atomic Floozy wrote:Co-op games against the game's AI? Playing against the AI is easy compared to the shenigans of the other players! Played in Ed's infamous "Curse of the Golden Monkey" game - One player stole a seaplane & bailed on us, and another, well that dastardly fellow bribed the captain of the steamer to sail off leaving us abandoned on an uncharted island. An island with a giant ape, dinosaurs and Nazis - me a poor little rich girl all alone (my fiancée, Arizona Bob had been devoured by a giant iguana looking lizard) on a desert island with no night life. Do you know how boring it is to date Nazis?

Right up there with my Hannah Montana Mall Madness ATZ games.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby TXWargamer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:48 am

Yeah....what everyone else said. I own way too many minis and terrain to admit to where my wife may see but lately the counters have seen more action. My special games still get the full treatment though.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Next

Return to General Discussion