Is the reaction system getting removed

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Re: Is the reaction system getting removed

Postby Mehman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:18 am

I feel like this has to be said: this is a special forum. The few of us that had genuine concerns and questions about the topic weren't shown the door. No one harassed us or made snide comments. This is why I've stuck with - and will continue to stick like glue to - THW for these past few years. By the dark gods, this is getting sappy.

*grunting noises*

Ok, that's better! Plus, it's fun to bug Ed about stuff ;)
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 am

I grew up in restaurants, owned three of different types and a large catering company. Listen to your customers and you increase your chances for success. It's actually pretty easy.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Crinklechips » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 am

Mehman wrote:I feel like this has to be said: this is a special forum. The few of us that had genuine concerns and questions about the topic weren't shown the door. No one harassed us or made snide comments. This is why I've stuck with - and will continue to stick like glue to - THW for these past few years. By the dark gods, this is getting sappy.

*grunting noises*

This is the only forum I've posted more than 10 times on. It's frequented by honourable, considerate and friendly people. Thank god for that eh?!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby davidlhsl » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Mehman wrote:I feel like this has to be said: this is a special forum. The few of us that had genuine concerns and questions about the topic weren't shown the door. No one harassed us or made snide comments. This is why I've stuck with - and will continue to stick like glue to - THW for these past few years. By the dark gods, this is getting sappy.

*grunting noises*

Actually, people have been shown the door:
https://2hourblog.blogspot.com/search/l ... gic%20Door

And I hope that made you laugh instead of making you think this is one of those snide remarks. If you think it's snide, feel free to harass me. :)
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby dsean » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:15 am

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! I loved THE door!!!!

And I'd like to throw my two cents in; I found THW just a couple years ago, purely on accident, just browsing around looking for info on solo wargaming and I'll say this, if Ed had hit that nail any harder on center, the nail would be in China. I learned the system with a friend and we haven't looked back. So many of my figures, from so many periods (and new ones to boot) have seen the table again now, figures that have been sitting in dark drawers unused, all because of the reaction system. So Ed, maybe there is a new crop of gaming styles coming up, but there definitely some of us out there that still love the big grid, on a 6'x3', 3'x3' and so on, sized tables and we'd like to still see the rule sets with the reaction system. (maybe even bring a few of the older ones back out of the closet, ie RRTK, Morale Napoleon)

And as an aside, I've now posted more here than anywhere else on the net. I know, sure ain't sayin much, 3 posts in... hahahahahahahaha
dsean
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:31 pm

Yep, the new games - some have the 3x3 table and the Battle Boards, some won't change like NUTS and Star Army. Instead there will be games that cover the same period but with the optional Battle Board.

The new 5150: Missions series and 5150: No Limits will showcase this form.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby TXWargamer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:19 am

THW wrote:Yep, the new games - some have the 3x3 table and the Battle Boards, some won't change like NUTS and Star Army. Instead there will be games that cover the same period but with the optional Battle Board.

The new 5150: Missions series and 5150: No Limits will showcase this form.

I’m looking forward to those two.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Redmao » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm a bit late, but that was a great exchange of ideas.
I also like my battle board to be a bit more furnished, but it's great that it allows to be used as is for a quick set up.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby EasyEight » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:19 pm

In working on a 5150 book for Ed (still in process since it needs to be respun), I really started to like the combination of the City Tiles and the Battleboard. I still enjoy the visuals of maps and terrain, adds flavor and context for my game. So while I don't have a huge collection of scifi tabletop terrain (WW2 -- got that and then some!), I can use the City Tiles to mark movement through an area of the city and handle PEF movement, and then when there's contact resolve the action on the Battleboard.

city tile example.jpg
city tile example.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 185 times

The recent NUTS D-Day game I ran was interesting. One of the players had played the older NUTS system before, and he likes the Received Fire test and the weapon Impact rules (I like 'em too), but the other players had never played THW before and have only played Bolt Action WW2. Bolt Action WW2 is a super simple rule set that's basically based on Warhammer 40K mechanics with random IGOUGO activation mechanics - put marker in a bag, pull the unit marker and do its activation.

So rolling for activation was ho-hum for them, but when the figures entered LOS everything was different. In most games like Bolt Action your figures just stand there when the enemy enters LOS (unless they have an "Overwatch" rule you have to remember to mark down on a unit), and take the hits until your unit's card is pulled and they can do something. But the THW reaction system changes all that. The eyebrows went up the first time they did an In Sight test and then both sides shot at each other. So even the new more streamlined reaction system in NUTS was a BIG NEW THING they had to understand. But after a few In Sight tests and firefights they got it, and they really liked how the figures just don't stand around getting shot at.

So yes, I will always have fondness in my heart for crunchy game mechanics, but since most games hitting the market are only a few steps away from flipping a coin in terms of complexity (can you say "Zombicide"??), I can see why this is a good direction to move in.
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Tekawiz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:18 pm

[quote="EasyEight"
So yes, I will always have fondness in my heart for crunchy game mechanics, but since most games hitting the market are only a few steps away from flipping a coin in terms of complexity (can you say "Zombicide"??), I can see why this is a good direction to move in.[/quote]

There's a guy who stripped out all the crunch out of D&D and put his rules on Drivethrough RPG and it went Platinum. He has a huge following.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

PreviousNext

Return to Talomir Tales and other Fantasy