What rules for Pike and Shot? (30YW)

The 'early' gunpowder days. Muskets and Mohawks, Long Rifle, Muskets and Shakos, And a Bottle of Rum and similar era games.

What rules for Pike and Shot? (30YW)

Postby Martian Banshee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 pm

For nearly 20 years, I've been fascinated by The Battle of the Crapper.

Yep, I'm such a huge fan of the 1632 series, that I've actually researched some of the period history, notwithstanding my perverse fascination with tercios against an M-60 machine gun and motocross bikes. Anyway, I enjoy Osprey's The Pikeman's Lament, but it lacks both solo / same side playability and the difficulties of command provided by the Chain Reaction system.

I suppose I could just play RRtK designating musket armed troops as archers with some tweaking borrowed from black powder games. But which one, and tweaked by how much?

This has been in the back of my head since I bought Darby's 1st edition FNG, and it's high time I make it happen.
Martian Banshee
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: What rules for Pike and Shot? (30YW)

Postby Mehman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:57 am

Try Muskets & Shakos. It's for Horse and Musket - Napoleonic - era gaming, but that's the only ruleset I can think of that comes close. As for how much to tweak, not sure. You'd have to come up with some weaponry, more pike rules, etc, but that's not too hard.

Hope that helps.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: What rules for Pike and Shot? (30YW)

Postby TXWargamer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 am

Martian Banshee wrote:For nearly 20 years, I've been fascinated by The Battle of the Crapper.

Yep, I'm such a huge fan of the 1632 series, that I've actually researched some of the period history, notwithstanding my perverse fascination with tercios against an M-60 machine gun and motocross bikes. Anyway, I enjoy Osprey's The Pikeman's Lament, but it lacks both solo / same side playability and the difficulties of command provided by the Chain Reaction system.

I suppose I could just play RRtK designating musket armed troops as archers with some tweaking borrowed from black powder games. But which one, and tweaked by how much?

This has been in the back of my head since I bought Darby's 1st edition FNG, and it's high time I make it happen.

I use a variant of RRtK for ECW. I have played several games and need to complete the army list. I make pike and shot a combined unit of three stands. It worked really well but as usual I got distracted. I’m tempted to complete the conversions and get them posted.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Return to Napoleonics / Black Powder / Pirates