In Sight Explained

ATZ, horror and Post Apoc

In Sight Explained

Postby THW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 am

The In Sight can be tricky. Here's now it works:

When each activation phase starts check for two things.
1 - If a group is already in sight of another group then no In Sight occurs. just active fire.
2 - If a group is not in sight and you move or they move into sight, then the In Sight occurs.

Example - I activate and move into sight of a group I cannot see at the start of my turn.
There are 3 enemy figures and only me.
I win the In sight and fire at 1 figure and take it out.
I can now active fire and shoot at another figure and take him out.
The last enemy figure takes the Man Down reaction test and sticks around. My turn ends and we are in sight of each other.

Now it's his turn. He sees me so active fires - no In Sight needed.

Also, no In Sight test is needed if the enemy is not facing you.

If you come around the corner and stumble upon an enemy MG facing away from you, they do not have Line of Sight with you.
No In Sight is triggered and you may fire upon them.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Re: In Sight Explained

Postby Amos Moses » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:42 pm

thanks for the explanation. How about this scenario:

Question 1: Group A can see 4 out of 5 figures of Group B. The 5th figure (call him 5/B) is lagging behind in the woods.

The first figure of Group A (call him 1/A) moves, say 8" and enters the woods where he comes into sight of 5/B. Is an In Sight test required?

Question 2: If an In Sight test is required for whatever reason (say all of Group B was hidden in the woods), does the rest of Group A (now 8" behind 1/A) have a chance to move a full move allowance (8" we'll say) prior to the results of the test triggered by 1/A being carried out?
Amos Moses
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Buffrockjaw » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:48 pm

My 2 cents, based on my understanding or lack thereof...

case 1: yes.

case 2: I believe the whole group moves together, so, yes, unless you specifically don't want them to, in which case then only the figures that moved into sight would trigger the in sight test. Once the in sight test is triggered, they have the option to move an extra 2 inches before the test is carried out.
Buffrockjaw
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby stryderg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Regarding Question 2:
I always applied real life and my intent to situations like this.

Do you want to send a point man into the woods to see what's there? Then that 1 guy activates, moves into the woods and triggers an In Sight.

Or do you want the whole group to move in? Then they all activate together and you physically move them up one at a time. You move them up one at a time because you don't have 5 arms to move them all at once. Once they are all in place, then an In Sight is triggered.
Don't let your physical limitations dictate the flow of the rules.

And that's my 2 cents.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 am

Amos Moses wrote:thanks for the explanation. How about this scenario:

Question 1: Group A can see 4 out of 5 figures of Group B. The 5th figure (call him 5/B) is lagging behind in the woods.

T=If they can see each other at the start of the turn, they would fire instead. So after this happens none of B would be in sight or none of A as they will always fire if they start in sight.

The first figure of Group A (call him 1/A) moves, say 8" and enters the woods where he comes into sight of 5/B. Is an In Sight test required?

Question 2: If an In Sight test is required for whatever reason (say all of Group B was hidden in the woods), does the rest of Group A (now 8" behind 1/A) have a chance to move a full move allowance (8" we'll say) prior to the results of the test triggered by 1/A being carried out?
Once the In Sight is triggered, when the guy stepped into the woods, everyone move 2" more. Even the guy could step back out of sight. Better to move the group together at the same time and not string them out in a long line.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby sismis » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:49 pm

THW wrote:The In Sight can be tricky. Here's now it works:...

That's VERY useful. If I may suggest to put it inside help box in rulebooks, it would help immensely. I know this now, but had trouble with this for quite a while in the beginning..
sismis
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 am

sismis wrote:
THW wrote:The In Sight can be tricky. Here's now it works:...

That's VERY useful. If I may suggest to put it inside help box in rulebooks, it would help immensely. I know this now, but had trouble with this for quite a while in the beginning..

Good idea, thanks,
Ed
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby sismis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:08 pm

One question though - shouldn't enemy roll for reaction when you shot at them first time after winning in-sight phase (The figure is within 4” and LOS of a friendly figure being hit by fire)
sismis
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes, but after shooting is finished.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby sismis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Got it, thnx!