Chain Reaction - Questions

OFFICIAL THW Q&A. This is the ONLY forum that will regularly get official answers from Ed himself on rules questions. Please include the ruleset being discussed in the subject heading when posting a new question. Common issues such as In Sight, and order of reactions, will be stickied as they come up for easy reference.

Chain Reaction - Questions

Postby beknoll » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 am

Greetings,

Forgive me if I missed these answers searching through the forums.

PEF Generation
[*]PEFs generated for EVERY building? Map without buildings = 3 PEFs. Randomly-generated urban terrain had 12 buildings. 15(!) PEFs? (3 normal and 12 for buildings) Correct?

PEF Resolution
[*]What if for last PEF you get a 1 result ('...Resolve NEXT PEF with...')?
[*]Say you pass 2d6 then roll a 1. Table uses the word 'group' (e.g. 1 = Three less than your group.). Is this 'group' as used elsewhere, meaning characters within 4" with LOS between them? Or 'group' as in 'band'? Example: If I have 6 men total in 2 groups of 3, would 3 less than group = 0 or would I use the total of 6 in my 'band' -3 = 3?

Weapons
[*]Why choose anything other than SAW? Realism?
[*]Fast move with Grenade? If yes, say you pass 2d6 for fast move = 16". Grenade takes 1/2 so 8". Still move 8" more (standard move). It's like arming a grenade w/ no penalty. Correct?

PEF/NP movement
[*]Same rules for other games/modules? People commenting on 'realism' of enemy movement. Is that w/ Chain Reaction rules or more rules in other games?

Thanks for your help. Really enjoying the game.

Take care,

Brian
Orlando FL
beknoll
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Chain Reaction - Questions

Postby THW » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 pm

beknoll wrote:Greetings,

Here goes.

Forgive me if I missed these answers searching through the forums.

PEF Generation
[*]PEFs generated for EVERY building? Map without buildings = 3 PEFs. Randomly-generated urban terrain had 12 buildings. 15(!) PEFs? (3 normal and 12 for buildings) Correct? Correct.

PEF Resolution
[*]What if for last PEF you get a 1 result ('...Resolve NEXT PEF with...')? Doesn;t apply as trhere are no more PEFs. Treat as finidng nothing.
[*]Say you pass 2d6 then roll a 1. Table uses the word 'group' (e.g. 1 = Three less than your group.). Is this 'group' as used elsewhere, meaning characters within 4" with LOS between them? Or 'group' as in 'band'? Example: If I have 6 men total in 2 groups of 3, would 3 less than group = 0 or would I use the total of 6 in my 'band' -3 = 3? Just the group that can see the PEF, also never less than 1 figure

Weapons
[*]Why choose anything other than SAW? Realism? You can choose your weapon as a Star but if you're fighting Zombies - which you could, you'd attract a lot of them with the SAW. Also realism. You wouldn't get very far in a city street carrying a SAW instead of a BAP under your jacket., THW we let you do what you want instead of dictating. Now in some rules, like 5150 when you are New Hope City, you will have the police all over you, make that SWAT Team, if you're carrying a SAW.
[*]Fast move with Grenade? If yes, say you pass 2d6 for fast move = 16". Grenade takes 1/2 so 8". Still move 8" more (standard move). It's like arming a grenade w/ no penalty. Correct? Correct.

PEF/NP movement
[*]Same rules for other games/modules? People commenting on 'realism' of enemy movement. Is that w/ Chain Reaction rules or more rules in other games? CR will be getting updated so they are still "realistic" but the newer ones pl;ayu fatser with the same result and on a smaller tbale if you want to. Realisim is more in how the enemy reacts, which includes movement like duck back, leave the table etc.

Thanks for your help. Really enjoying the game.
Thanks. One more ting, you'll see tha tall the game share similar mechanics, but the period specific games may have additional rules. Feel free to pick and move rules form set to set, as it won't break the game.
Take care,

Brian
Orlando FL
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Ed Sez