Star Army Advice

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Star Army Advice

Postby Amos Moses » Wed May 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Looking to get started in 5150 Star Army. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I'm torn between Blue Moon 15mm and Rebel Minis. Does anyone favor one over the other? Which are best suited to the SA lists, etc? Any other 15mm manufacturers out there? What about sources of sci-fi-ish looking terrain?
Amos Moses
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Star Army Advice

Postby Buffrockjaw » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

I can't comment on Blue Moon, but I own Rebel Minis Earth Force Marines Infantry, Heavy Weapons and Gun Teams and they are great !
Buffrockjaw
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Brian » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

As for 15mm figures, these days, you can't throw a rock without hitting a descent range of 15mm Sci Fi figures, they're literally all over the place. It mostly depends on your budget and possibly location (North America, EU, Antarctica..etc...)

When I look at a range of figures, I look at the depth of the range. Does the range include support weapons, are those support weapons, heavy, light or a mix of the two. Is there enough poses in the range for some creativity and uniqueness(varied poses, command..etc..)? Do they have a varied range of weapons (rifles, saws, GL, RL..etc...)? Also, do you want a one-stop-shop..ie...does the company carry figures, terrain, and vehicles or do you prefer shopping around and ordering from multiple companies?

Out of the two mentioned, I'd go with Rebel Minis Earth Force because of my above stated criteria(Mike's figures are nice and he's great to deal with). Nothing against Blue Moon, they're outstanding figures, but they don't offer the depth I want in their figure ranges.

Personally, I use Ground Zero Games, they're reasonably priced, but I usually order when Jon (Mr. GZG himself) runs a sale or "special offer". Jon is also well known for his outstanding customer service. I live in the states and I don't hesitate to buy from him (in the UK) even with exchange rate/shipping charges.

Some others to consider in no particular order:
ClearHorizon Miniatures - USA, Harold is awesome to deal with, his castings are awesome....I use his figures for SpecOps type teams
Khurasan Miniatures - USA, outstanding miniatures, odd to deal with at times though, but his ranges usually have a lot of depth and you can't complain about his variety... :lol:
Brigade Models - UK, I think they acquired Army's Armies 15mm range of near-future Sci-Fi figures, great guy to deal with, lots of options to choose from including a TON of vehicles!
White Dragon(?) - Not sure about them, nice looking figures, not sure of their availability
Critical Mass Games - UK - defunct business...but I think the range was sold to another company, not sure who at the moment, shame though, they had a great range of figures and vehicles
Acheson Creations - USA - I *think* they're going to carry some 15mm THW Star Army figures that they produced during the recent Into the Tunnels KickStarter, but Ed would know more about them and they're products probably?
Old Crow - UK - Not sure he's still in the business, but he has a great range of vehicles, I think he produces "on demand" rather than running a shop
Highlander Studios - USA - I think he has a smaller range of "character" type sci-fi figures.
QRF - UK - Sci-Fi range of figures and "xenos", also carries a lot of historical 15mm.
Peter Pig - UK - mostly 15mm historical...I'm not sure if they carry any 15mm sci fi or not, so that might not be helpful!

I'm sure I've missed some, but you hopefully get the idea, just food for thought. I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Brian
Brian
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby stryderg » Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm

I went with Rebel Minis Earth Force, Sahadeen and Greys. Also picked up some CATs and VPRs along with a few vehicles. Haven't painted any of them yet, or even played a game with them. And I want to pick up some Scourge...maybe after I paint some of what I have.

Go with what you like. There's no reason that your Gaea Prime army can't be made up completely of Manth, Kurgen or even Scourge.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Buffrockjaw » Wed May 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Personally, I use Ground Zero Games, they're reasonably priced, but I usually order when Jon (Mr. GZG himself) runs a sale or "special offer". Jon is also well known for his outstanding customer service. I live in the states and I don't hesitate to buy from him (in the UK) even with exchange rate/shipping charges.

I totally forgot GZG, I have lots of Jon's 15mm NAC too, and yes, he's great to deal with!
Buffrockjaw
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 pm

I have some of the new released SA from the Kickstarter project that hasn't went public yet. Plus Grath and Hishen, all painted.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Buffrockjaw » Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am

THW wrote:I have some of the new released SA from the Kickstarter project that hasn't went public yet. Plus Grath and Hishen, all painted.

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4568407646833164205#allposts/postNum=0

I can't look it says I don't have access
Buffrockjaw
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Mehman » Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks for that list, Brian! Looks like someone might be ordering some 15mm historicals in the near future...

Also: I'm getting the "you don't have access" message, too, Ed.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sat May 19, 2018 3:54 am

Sorry for the error...all gone as well.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Brian » Sat May 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Hope it helps! Finding cool minis is half the fun in my opinion!

Thanks,
Brian
Brian
Rep 5
Rep 5

Return to Sci-Fi