Nuts and Weapon Ranges

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Nuts and Weapon Ranges

Postby shon maxx » Thu May 10, 2018 3:51 pm

After getting used to the Battle Board, I’m trying to use the maps again for Nuts. Weapon ranges are listed as 12, 24, 48, and 60. I’m pretty sure these are in inches. However, the terrain rules specify a 3’x3’ table, which is only 36” across. Even if you fired diagonally, you’d still only have 50” of range. Are the weapon ranges designed for a larger table or are they in something other than inches?

Thanks
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Re: Nuts and Weapon Ranges

Postby stryderg » Fri May 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Those ranges are in inches for 28mm troops.
3x3 is the recommended table size. Some of us like to use bigger tables.

Some players use 15mm troops, so they either use the ranges in cm, or keep them in inches.
It all depends on what you (and your opponent, if you're lucky enough to have one) think 'feels right'.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Fri May 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks. I don’t really understand the difference in miniature sizes; I basically just use what I can find. I thought about using basic ranges like Short (same section), Medium (adjacent section), and Long (no limit). However, there are actually 4 ranges; 12, 24, 48, and 60, and I’m not sure which two to combine.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Tekawiz » Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 pm

shon maxx wrote:Thanks. I don’t really understand the difference in miniature sizes; I basically just use what I can find. I thought about using basic ranges like Short (same section), Medium (adjacent section), and Long (no limit). However, there are actually 4 ranges; 12, 24, 48, and 60, and I’m not sure which two to combine.

Once you start playing, you'll find the PEFs usually reveal themselves within 48 inches, if even that. So you could go easily go 12, 24, 48. I also use quite a bit of LOS blocking terrain.

I use 1/72 scale figures and use the documented ranges with my own custom measuring stick - somewhere between cm and inches. I use a 4'x4' table so it's "big" table for my guys.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks. I went with the 12, 24, 48.

One more Q. Normally when forming an enemy squad, you start with the Co and then the NCO, LMG, and finally the Riflemen. But when playing C&C games, PEFs only resolved as 1-3 soldiers each. Would these follow the same pattern or could any of them be riflemen instead?

For example, in my first game, the first PEF resolved as 1 soldier, the second as 2 troops, and the third ( which I ran into on the other side of the forest) as 2 more. Would they follow the same pattern even though they were separate groups?
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby THW » Sat May 12, 2018 1:41 am

shon maxx wrote:Thanks. I went with the 12, 24, 48.

One more Q. Normally when forming an enemy squad, you start with the Co and then the NCO, LMG, and finally the Riflemen. But when playing C&C games, PEFs only resolved as 1-3 soldiers each. Would these follow the same pattern or could any of them be riflemen instead?

For example, in my first game, the first PEF resolved as 1 soldier, the second as 2 troops, and the third ( which I ran into on the other side of the forest) as 2 more. Would they follow the same pattern even though they were separate groups?

Split the squad in two and have the first batch of guys arrive, maybe over two or three PDFs as the NCO plus his half then the next be the corporeal and the rest. The LMG is with the NCO.

The main things is make the total number of figures not exceed the squad number and designations. So 1 NCO, 1 Crp. 1 LMG, etc.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby shon maxx » Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 am

Ah, I was rolling for troop types at random. That makes more sense. Thanks!
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Return to NUTS, FNG and More