ATZ Participation game

ATZ, horror and Post Apoc

ATZ Participation game

Postby Hazard66 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm looking for a set of rules to run a modern day Zombie participation game.
The players will be non-wargamers.

What size table is ATZ normally played on?
Is it suitable for multi-player participation games?
Hazard66
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: ATZ Participation game

Postby THW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 am

Hazard66 wrote:I'm looking for a set of rules to run a modern day Zombie participation game.
The players will be non-wargamers.

What size table is ATZ normally played on?
Is it suitable for multi-player participation games?

You can play on a 4 x 4 table or 4x6 if you choose. Even smaller if less players. I've been known to run up to 20 players - when you are familiar with the rules 4 to 8 is easy. I can let you know the easiest way to do it.

Check this thread out. :)

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=288128
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Hazard66 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm

That sounds just what I am looking for and I have now purchased the rules pdf.
I'll be looking at 3x3 or 4x4 just so there is enough room to fit everyone around the table and I'll be using 28mm minis.

I'd love to get more details on your participation game setup etc.
Hazard66
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby stryderg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I played in one hosted by flashcove (on this list). Let's see... 18 players, each with one mini, grouped into 4 or 5 teams (either mercs or corporate security).
Mission: Find the VIP somewhere on the table (in a city). The VIP has info on the zombie outbreak, so return VIP to extraction point.
Problems: Zombies, generated normally. Security droid, broken sensors so it shoots anything that moves (we didn't know about the broken sensors). Gangers, with a vehicle that drove across the table (surprise) to generate more zombies.
Major Problem: After the VIP was found, Ed showed up and offered a free copy of ATZ to whoever got the VIP off the table. Turned into a blood bath pretty quickly as players turned on each other. You can accomplish the same with a snickers bar.

One set of activation dice was rolled by the GM, any mini that passed was able to move. Generally everyone moved the zombies that were in their area of the table as needed. The GM randomly moved the security bot and ganger vehicle. Multiple fire-fights were happening around the table, so we didn't wait for each one to be resolved before moving to the next. It was a fun and chaotic game.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby flashcove » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks, I DO love chaos at a convention! ;)
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby Hazard66 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:40 pm

this is great stuff everyone, thanks for posting it.
On a 4x4 board with say 8 survivors and 4 gangers in a car in an urban setting, how many zombies would you expect to need?
How many in a suburban setting?
Hazard66
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Hazard66 wrote:this is great stuff everyone, thanks for posting it.
On a 4x4 board with say 8 survivors and 4 gangers in a car in an urban setting, how many zombies would you expect to need?
How many in a suburban setting?

To start you'd have to roll 12d6 to generate the first batch - so on average of 36.
70ish would be plenty. But here's a trick. Get some coins or chips and label them 5. When you need more zombies just slide a chip under one zed and he's worth 5. This frees up 4 at a time.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby flashcove » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm

I also recycle. In my convention games, any "slain" zombie goes back in the box to be re-used.
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby Hazard66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm

As I now have my 4x4 table setup, 14 survivors for people to pick from and 72 zombies ready to chow down I have started to go through the mechanics of the game using the Q&E rules.
I may be doing something wrong but it seems almost impossible for a zombie to do anything to a survivor.
I believe all of this is on the free download but if something shouldn't be please delete or amend...
A charging zed is on Rep 4 so rolling 4 dice needing 4's. An average (Rep 4) survivor wielding an improvised weapon (a rifle) has 4 dice is also needing 4's but gets one auto hit as well.
These fights also do not seem to generate noise so no chance of more zeds and no others nearby turn to face the survivor.
In 20 melees the zed lost 14, drew 4 and won 2 by 1 success.
Even with multiple zeds attacking the same target it seems that each attack is done one at a time so there doesn't seem to be an accumulative zed benefit.
Have I missed something or is this correct?
Hazard66
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Hazard66 wrote:As I now have my 4x4 table setup, 14 survivors for people to pick from and 72 zombies ready to chow down I have started to go through the mechanics of the game using the Q&E rules.Here goes. First up, be sure to use non-player survivors, with guns. Meeting them will cause lots of noise, that's lot's of zombies. ALL zeds move together at the same time and all melees take place at the same time so it's easy for them to pile on during melee.
I may be doing something wrong but it seems almost impossible for a zombie to do anything to a survivor.
I believe all of this is on the free download but if something shouldn't be please delete or amend...
A charging zed is on Rep 4 so rolling 4 dice needing 4's. An average (Rep 4) survivor wielding an improvised weapon (a rifle) has 4 dice is also needing 4's but gets one auto hit as well. The zed rolls 3d6 for Rep plus 1d6 more for each additional zed. Melee is not fought individually. When rolling in melee you're looking for successes a score of 1, 2, or 3. Not Rep. It seems you're setting up a one on one fight with the zeds. Almost never happens in a real game.
These fights also do not seem to generate noise so no chance of more zeds and no others nearby turn to face the survivor.
In 20 melees the zed lost 14, drew 4 and won 2 by 1 success.
Even with multiple zeds attacking the same target it seems that each attack is done one at a time so there doesn't seem to be an accumulative zed benefit. Nope, all melees are resolved together so 1 survivor Rep 4 rolls 4d6 + 1d6 for an improvised weapon. 5d6 total. 3 zeds roll 3d6 + 2d6, one for each additional zed so 5D6. Looking for 1, 2, and 3s regardless of Rep involved.
Have I missed something or is this correct?
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Next

Return to All Things Zombie and More