Lovecrafts Revenge. A couple of questions...

ATZ, ATH, or anything else you're using in a Horror or Post Apocalyptic setting

Lovecrafts Revenge. A couple of questions...

Postby Crinklechips » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi there,

I've bought Lovecraft's Revenge and it looks just great. I certainly would love to see scenarios released for it as mentioned at the end!

I have a couple of questions...

1. A Sanity test is taken when:-

When exploring a Location.
The first time encountering a Creature or Deity.
When finding an Object or Artefact.

On the Sanity/Insanity table a pass 0D6 result states "If trying to escape, remain in the scene"

Should we therefore be adding "When trying to escape" as a trigger for a Sanity test?

2. You include rules for haunted buildings/areas. Is this at the players discretion or every time you enter a new building, forest etc?

And finally a thought. I really like the individual interaction tables for npc's in Back Alleys, Bright Lights and Legends of Araby. Did you ever consider creating something like that for Lovecraft's Revenge? You see initially I thought it could be a good idea to create my own tables but then I realised you may have discounted the idea because of the nature of the game. It appears to be a tense race against time and therefore dallying with npc interactions might ruin the pacing/tension of the game you have created??

Cheers.
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Lovecrafts Revenge. A couple of questions...

Postby shon maxx » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:25 pm

Glad you like the game.

1. That's referring to if you're trying to escape the scene but you roll Doulbles. If that occurs, you stay where you are. Remember, Insanity doesn't just mess with your dice rolls; it also alters your perceptions. And just as you begin a sigh of relief, the shadow of what threatens you envelopes your own.

2. Page 38: After resolving the last PEF in a building, etc., roll 1d6/2 + the DL. If you roll 7 or higher, the place is haunted and you must now resolve the PEFs in parenthesis. Just a little extra fun at the players' expense;)

3. I'm not sure how it would affect the pacing, but I didn't use Interactions for another reason. The individual interactions work great in LOA and BLBA because you spend a lot of time speaking with others. However, in LR, at least half of those you'll encounter want to either munch on your bones, drive you lut of your mind, or slice your soul to ribbons to play like a violin.

Hope those help. Let me know if you have any more questions.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Crinklechips » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:20 pm

shon maxx wrote:Glad you like the game.

1. That's referring to if you're trying to escape the scene but you roll Doulbles. If that occurs, you stay where you are. Remember, Insanity doesn't just mess with your dice rolls; it also alters your perceptions. And just as you begin a sigh of relief, the shadow of what threatens you envelopes your own.

2. Page 38: After resolving the last PEF in a building, etc., roll 1d6/2 + the DL. If you roll 7 or higher, the place is haunted and you must now resolve the PEFs in parenthesis. Just a little extra fun at the players' expense;)

3. I'm not sure how it would affect the pacing, but I didn't use Interactions for another reason. The individual interactions work great in LOA and BLBA because you spend a lot of time speaking with others. However, in LR, at least half of those you'll encounter want to either munch on your bones, drive you lut of your mind, or slice your soul to ribbons to play like a violin.

Hope those help. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the reply. By reading alone its not entirely obvious that you'll meet more monsters than humans but it makes sense!

I understand the Sanity/Insanity table now. It might be me but I don't think I would have read it correctly without your help.

Again, thanks!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Well it is called an Insanity Table for a eason.

Just kidding! Originally, the Fast Move table featured either running in general or running away from monsters. These tables included rules for what happened if you rolled Deadly Doubles. However, when the Chase table got changed to Escaping she he Scene, that part got left out and I completely missed it.

I probably drive Ex nuts whenever I look over what he sent me, point out anything that should be fixed, and after that I feel it's perfect. Then the next I'll find something else and tell him, "um about that..."
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Crinklechips » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey that's absolutely fine. Anyone who has ever written anything of length knows how maddening it can be to keep finding typos/grammatical errors or passages your just not 100% happy with.

The story examples you published before the release of the game were all so individual and creative. Do you use anything to help you flesh out the story as you go? I have some Rorys story cubes but I find a deck of cards called the Gamemasters Apprentice of the most help. I think this is possibly the least discussed part of these games. After youve rolled the bones and checked out the tables sometimes you need a little help to weave it all together..

Thanks for your time ;)
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:07 pm

For the LR AAR's, I mostly just made it up as I went and filled in the blanks when writing it.

For some of my other games, I borrowed an idea from the game Mythic. I'd ask a question and roll 1d6 for yes and 1d6 for no, maybe adding 1-3 to one roll for possibilities. Then I'd use the Rory cubes for any details.

For example, while playing LR, I encounter a Civilian and Thug. This looks like an obvious hold-up, but just in case I'll ask, "Is this a robbery, etc?" I roll 1d6 for each with +1 for Yes. However, I roll No instead. Out of curiosity, I ask next, "Are they running from something?" I roll again and get Yes. Resolving the next PEF, I get 2 more civilians. I ask again if they're running from something and get a Yes. Third PEF is a Mummy. I ask if it's what they're running from and get a 6-1; Definitely Yes.

While it requires a few more dice rolls, it's still pretty quick and easy way to get an image of what's going on in your game, especially considering you don't even need to look at a table.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Crinklechips » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks for that. That's quite similar to what I'm doing. It sounds simple but getting in to the swing of asking those questions takes a little practice.

I think it would make a nice little appendix for THW games to include some brief discussion on this. It really brings the game to life!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 am

I've worked on a few options for that, including an NPC Choice table, which simulates how characters not controlled by you act, and some others. It just all depends on how much interest exists for a dice-driven storytelling element to the game.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Crinklechips » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 pm

That's interesting. I must admit that I hadn't really considered Lovecrafts Revenge as anything else. With the advent of the 2D6 system, battles have been very abstracted. I don't think you can really call it a war game, or even a skirmish game unless you used standard chain reaction instead.

I hope people might chime in at this point with their opinions. I see a fair few have been watching.

It's all good. I certainly don't wish to steer the game in a direction that pleases the few. I love seeing pictures of people who set up their incredible scenery and well painted mini's.

For my part though I'd love to see your 'story telling' add on! :D
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks. I've got a couple of supplements planned (currently working on Deadly Dreams), depending on the interest in LR. I might slip those rules in somewhere.

Also, if I can get enough put together, I'll probably post a rough copy of the storytelling rules on the board in the future.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Next

Return to Horror / Post Apoc