Farming the Land

Anything non-ruleset related. Modelling, Terrain, Miniatures, Dice... If it's to do with gaming but isn't a ruleset then put it here.

Farming the Land

Postby Mehman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 pm

I'll just get to it: I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good farm mechanics / farming tables / rulesets that have farming in them so that I could have a character, well, farm. I'm more interested in crop growth than livestock but, at this point, I'll take any lead someone has.

I guess I should give this question some framework. I'm creating / designing / adapting a personal ruleset that utilizes our beloved Two Hour Wargames format and, in it, I would like to farm if the whim takes me. The setting is Post-Apocalyptic and its focus is on (re)building settlements to a better standard than what they would be presumably doing: scavenging.

So far, I've got the hunting aspect down to my liking but the gathering side of the coin is still very much rocky - as are the scavenging mechanics but at least there are ideas for it. Anyway, I'll focus on that at some point but I figure it might take some time for someone to tell me if there is any kind of farming simulation out there that I could repurpose and use for my own selfish desires.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Farming the Land

Postby SteveB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:53 am

Can't help with providing any existing mechanics, however, the PEF system could be adapted very easily to a 'gathering' mechanism.

You could decide that if you get a 'nothing - just nerves' result on the PEF table (or whatever flavour of a nil return you wish) then you go to another table with (for example):-

1. Berry patch
2. Small corn patch
3. Corn Field
4. Tinned/ canned goods
5. Fruit Tree/ bushes
6. Other crop (potatoes, tomatoes etc.)

Just a thought...

Cheers
Steve
SteveB
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Try this.

Assign a section of the table as farm able and give it a Farm Rating of 1/2d6 (1 to 3).

Each month from March thru September roll 3d6 per section versus the Farm Rating.

If designate more than one member of your group to "tend the fields" each month (they cannot particulate in any Encounter during the month) add 1d6.

If no members of your group "tend the fields" subtract 1d6.

Pass 3d6 = Increase Farm Rating by 1, never higher than 6.
Pass 2d6 = Crops doing well.
Pass 1d6 = Crops are fading, decrease Farm Rating by 1, never lower than 1.
Pass 0d6 = Crop failure, section dries up.

In October it's time to harvest the crops. Roll 2d6 versus the Farm Rating of each section.

Pass 2d6 = Gain 1 Food Unit per point of Farm Rating of the section.
Pass 1d6 = Gain 1 Food Unit.
Pass 0d6 = Blight. No Food Unit harvested but increase Farm Rating by 1 for next season.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Mehman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 pm

By the Dice Gods, gentlemen. You've saved my sanity! Also, I feel the creative juices flowing again.

Steve - This is a fantastic idea for a gathering mechanic. I don't know why I hadn't thought of utilizing PEFs in some way. This is genius. I'm thinking of an extended table of gathering mishaps instead of the hunting ones found in... one of the ATZ supplements. (I own too many to remember exactly where, alas, but let me tell you, they're great.)

Ed - I'm going to take this idea and eventually make a touch down, goal, run, or basket - depending on which sport you favour. To say this blew my mind is not right. It's downright freaky as I had created something similar but for some reason it didn't work. I see where it all went wrong now: it was way too complicated. Normally, I love complicated but it was just muddy. Yes, this is perfect! The Weather Chart that William Silvester gives us in The Solo Wargaming Guide will fit right in for some added fun and randomness.

Anyway, I thank you both again and shall sing your praises forever more. If y'all ever need an alibi or some other thing, look no further.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby TXWargamer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Greatness and using this in my frontier and zombie games seems right.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby paulnutsplayer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:34 pm

How about adding a new Attribute.

Attribute: Professional Farmer Gives 1d6 (or +1 Rep depending on how your rules go) on all agriculture or livestock rolls. A Pro Farmer can be a supervisor of the overall operation monitoring his field hands (in which case he can do his overall roll at planting, at mid-point and at harvest);
or the one actually doing the hands-on.

Pro Farmer would also know about farming machinery, irrigation, etc.
And a Pro Farmer might also know about general biology and ecology too.

- John Paul
paulnutsplayer
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Mehman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:38 am

Excellent idea, John Paul! We'll have a farming game before long :lol:!
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby EasyEight » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:10 pm

You could also have a Farming Events Table, similar to how that evens can happen in NUTS.

*Whenever the sum of you REP roll = 7, an event has occurred on one of two tables: The Growing Table and the Harvest Table.

From March to September = Growing Table, October =Harvest Table

The Growing Table could have things happen like good weather, bad weather, blight, insects, critters, etc. That increase or decrease the Farm Rating, or add or subtract from your Harvest Table toll.

The Harvest Table could have things happen like Good harvest, Bad Harvest, Marauders (generate an Encounter) try and steal your crops, critters, etc. that add or subtract Food generated or result in an Encounter.

Example, I have a Farm with a Rating of 2, and I have at least one person working the field so I roll 3d6 total. I roll 3d6 to see how well my Growing Season goes. My roll is 2, 2, 3 -- I pass three, so I have a good season and increase my Farm Rating to 3. But since the sum of my roll = 7 (2+2+3), I have an even. I roll 2d6 on the Growing Table and get Good Weather, so I can add +1REP to my Harvest roll.

Then I roll for Harvest. I get to roll 2d6 at +1Rep, and roll a 3, 4. I pass 2d6 so I get 1 Food per Farm rating, which is a "3" now, so I get 3 food. However, this also calls for a roll on the Harvest Event table. I end up rolling a Defense Encounter as some marauders try and Raid my crops! Guess they want to farm the Farmers!

I'd also consider saying that you need to have more people assigned to the farm than just 1 person. Farming is pretty labor intensive, particularly around planting time and harvest. Love to see what you come up with, I like the idea of building a community as the basis for a campaign.
Cheers!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby CthulhuKid » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Can't wait to see your stats for giant radioactive locusts.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Mehman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:44 am

That sounds like an excellent set of ideas! Consider them implemented as of now! I'll mess around with the farming tables some more and tell everyone what I come up with.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to The Hobby