[CR3.1] More noob questions

OFFICIAL THW Q&A. This is the ONLY forum that will regularly get official answers from Ed himself on rules questions. Please include the ruleset being discussed in the subject heading when posting a new question. Common issues such as In Sight, and order of reactions, will be stickied as they come up for easy reference.

[CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby mruseless » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:12 am

Hi Ed (and all),

OK, noob here. After a couple play tests to familiarize myself with the mechanics, I’ve come across a few questions (I’m sure I’ll have more, but these are the ones so far where I couldn’t find the answers in the forums). I was playing CR3.1, but also experimenting with adding some of the rules from SA. Here goes.

If the leader of a group is stunned, does the group get his leader die for reaction tests and activation rolls? What about if he’s knocked down but able to carry on? I read here somewhere that Stunned is no longer used in Star Army, is that right?

If a group wins the In Sight test, do they have to shoot at the figures that triggered the test, or can they shoot at any other available targets?

How does Activation work with more than 2 players? We may have up to 4. Seems like there would be a lot of ties and rerolling.

In CR3.1, how are Defensive Values (DV’s) used? They are mentioned in CR3.1 section on buildings but are not referenced in any tables.

If a figure is Hunkered Down or Ducked Back, can it only take a Recover test when activated? (Notable exception being a result of “Higher than Impact” in the Ranged Combat Damage table.) Related to this, when a figure has to drop prone when Ducking Back, and later has to take another reaction test (like a Crisis test for received fire), what happens? Can they return fire or snap fire?

If a 10+ is needed to hit a figure in cover, then a rep 3 shooter can never hit… is this right? I had a situation where two rep 3 shooters were both in cover and shooting at each other. Because it was impossible for them to hit each other, it went back and forth about 8 times before one failed to pass 0d6 on his Crisis test (they were using identical weapons). No snake eyes were rolled either.
In this situation could one of the groups voluntarily Ducked Back?

Thanks!
Eric
mruseless
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby mruseless » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:26 am

mruseless wrote:
If a 10+ is needed to hit a figure in cover, then a rep 3 shooter can never hit… is this right? I had a situation where two rep 3 shooters were both in cover and shooting at each other. Because it was impossible for them to hit each other, it went back and forth about 8 times before one failed to pass 0d6 on his Crisis test (they were using identical weapons). No snake eyes were rolled either.


I think I just found the answer to this question: I could have used the Pitiful Shot rule. However, I'd still like to know if it's ever allowable for a non-Star figure to voluntarily Duck Back.
Eric
mruseless
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby THW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:41 am

mruseless wrote:Hi Ed (and all),

[color=#FF0000]Here goes.[/color]

OK, noob here. After a couple play tests to familiarize myself with the mechanics, I’ve come across a few questions (I’m sure I’ll have more, but these are the ones so far where I couldn’t find the answers in the forums). I was playing CR3.1, but also experimenting with adding some of the rules from SA. Here goes.

If the leader of a group is stunned, does the group get his leader die for reaction tests and activation rolls? Nope, has to be in carry On status. What about if he’s knocked down but able to carry on? I read here somewhere that Stunned is no longer used in Star Army, is that right? Correct.

If a group wins the In Sight test, do they have to shoot at the figures that triggered the test, or can they shoot at any other available targets? [color=#FF0000]Target those that caused the test.[/color]

How does Activation work with more than 2 players? We may have up to 4. Seems like there would be a lot of ties and re-rolling. Aree they all against each other? Otherwise 1d6 per side.

In CR3.1, how are Defensive Values (DV’s) used? They are mentioned in CR3.1 section on buildings but are not referenced in any tables. Count as cover from explosions if the Impact isn't higher than the DV. Like being behind a wall when a grenade goes off.

If a figure is Hunkered Down or Ducked Back, can it only take a Recover test when activated? Right.

(Notable exception being a result of “Higher than Impact” in the Ranged Combat Damage table.) Related to this, when a figure has to drop prone when Ducking Back, and later has to take another reaction test (like a Crisis test for received fire), what happens? Can they return fire or snap fire? Only if they can see the target.

If a 10+ is needed to hit a figure in cover, then a rep 3 shooter can never hit… is this right? I had a situation where two rep 3 shooters were both in cover and shooting at each other. Because it was impossible for them to hit each other, it went back and forth about 8 times before one failed to pass 0d6 on his Crisis test (they were using identical weapons). No snake eyes were rolled either.
In this situation could one of the groups voluntarily Ducked Back? There's the Pitiful Shot rule. if a Rep 3 rolls a 6 roll a second d6. If roll Rep or less, they score a hit. Should be in the rules. Hope this helps,
Ed

Thanks!
Eric
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby mruseless » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks Ed.

Are there updated tables for SA if Stunned is no longer used?
mruseless
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby THW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:27 pm

mruseless wrote:
mruseless wrote:
If a 10+ is needed to hit a figure in cover, then a rep 3 shooter can never hit… is this right? I had a situation where two rep 3 shooters were both in cover and shooting at each other. Because it was impossible for them to hit each other, it went back and forth about 8 times before one failed to pass 0d6 on his Crisis test (they were using identical weapons). No snake eyes were rolled either.


I think I just found the answer to this question: I could have used the Pitiful Shot rule. However, I'd still like to know if it's ever allowable for a non-Star figure to voluntarily Duck Back.
Eric


Nope, only Stars (you) can choose their reaction, Grunts use the tables.
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby THW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:29 pm

mruseless wrote:Thanks Ed.

Are there updated tables for SA if Stunned is no longer used?


Try here.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2045
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby mruseless » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:05 pm

THW wrote:
mruseless wrote:Thanks Ed.

Are there updated tables for SA if Stunned is no longer used?


Try here.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2045


This is awesome, thanks! I looked through many of the forums but had not found this one. One question about the UDT Melee table: If Melee damage result is "Higher than Impact", I assume the resulting effects are applied during the next regular round of melee, ie, the next activation. Or is the round fought immediately? If immediately, how does this work with multiple figures in melee?
mruseless
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby THW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:01 pm

mruseless wrote:
THW wrote:
mruseless wrote:Thanks Ed.

Are there updated tables for SA if Stunned is no longer used?


Try here.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2045


This is awesome, thanks! I looked through many of the forums but had not found this one. One question about the UDT Melee table: If Melee damage result is "Higher than Impact", I assume the resulting effects are applied during the next regular round of melee, ie, the next activation. Or is the round fought immediately? If immediately, how does this work with multiple figures in melee?


Fought immediately. The melee goes on until one character or the other loses. That's when the other melee opponents come in and fight. Sooooo,
A and B charge C. B goes first and fights C. B goes OOF now A attacks C. All in the same phase.
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4583
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby mruseless » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 am

Ah, yes that would make things less complicated!
Thanks again. It's great to have the author right here answering these questions!
Eric
mruseless
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am

Re: [CR3.1] More noob questions

Postby mruseless » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:21 am

We've had a chance to play a couple more games over last weekend. And a few more questions came up. We've been playing mostly CR3.1.

Can a Leader perform his Leader functions (activating his squad and donating a Leader Die for reaction tests) when he is Ducking/Ducked Back?

How long is a group considered to be moving or Fast Moving? Meaning, are they considered stationary at the end of the activation? Or are they considered to be moving until the beginning of their next activation?

Same question with Duck Back, ie, when is a figure no longer Ducked Back?

If a figure is Ducked Back, let's say at the edge of a wooded area (less than 1" into the woods) ducked behind a tree...when they are activated they have to peek out to fire.... is this considered movement and would trigger a new In Sight test?

How do you resolve firing into a melee?

There is some confusion about how to spread fire among targets. The rules seem to indicate that all available targets need to be targeted "one on one", but I'm not sure how that works with groups firing Target 2 and Target 3 weapons. How is fire distributed?

If a group finished their activation in sight of another group (remaining figs ended with a Carry On result and chose to end the turn there), then what happens on the next group's activation? Obviously they can active fire, or move. But unless new figures come into view, there are no insight tests, correct?
mruseless
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am

Next

Return to Ed Sez

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests