Star Trek Star Navy Stats WIP

For unofficial add-ons, ideas, and general what ifs.

Star Trek Star Navy Stats WIP

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Hey,

I thought I'd post some thoughts on this thread about some Star Trek stats. I intend to migrate over to Star Wars, but Trek seemed a bit easier. Honestly, there's probably not a lot to add/change/modify for either genre, but I like to tinker with rules from time to time. I don't really know a lot of in depth stuff about Star Trek, so I'm going from what I've seen on Tv, movies, and other games...if I offend die hard Trek fans, apologies! :D

The short of it is this:
1) I'd like to add 2 firing "arcs" fore and aft both for guns(phasers/disruptors..etc..) and missiles(photon torpedoes/quantum torps..etc...)
2) I think* that Shields should be able to protect against Torpedoes. I was considering replacing the AA defense table with a Shield vs Missile table. Roll 1d6 vs the Shield value of the Ship, subtracting the number of missiles being fired from the Shield value after the first roll. So a ship with 5 Shields and being fired on by 3 missiles, the first missile would roll against the full strength value of 5, the second would roll against 4, and so on...after trying it, this might be a moot point. Also, the Captain will still have the option to evade or use Shields.
3) I might drop AA in favor of beefing up guns/shields/missiles, I need to read up more on how this will impact any fighter combat though...although I'm not sure how big a role fighters play in the Star Trek universe.

Anyway, those are just my initial thoughts, and really, they're not needed, the rules are great as is! I'm just in an experimental mood!

*-refer to previous statement about Star Trek knowledge or lack thereof

Thanks,
Brian
Brian
Rep 5
Rep 5

Re: Star Trek Star Navy Stats WIP

Postby KW91 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Brian - I think you have a good start on this. In full disclosure, I don't have very good knowledge of the ST universe except for playing Starfleet Battles many years ago. My favorites were the Hydrans for some reason.

Firing arcs are a good idea IMO. Maybe just give guns a 270 degree arc & keep missiles with the 180.
I kind of like your shields/missiles ideas. It would probably be a good thing to test.

I've started to think about some house rules for SN (not necessarily tied to any particular universe). First is some racial/faction attributes - better gunnery, better turns, better sensors. Of course, to counterbalance some may need some negative attributes. Maybe allow some faction(s) a worse range on guns (20" before penalties start) but give them 1 extra gun, or something like that.

The second is to expand the ship building slightly and have regular and "heavy" versions of classes 3,4,& 5. Bascially, the "heavy" version would have an extra hull for classes 3 & 4 or two for class 5. That way, I can give a little better separation between light & heavy cruisers or battlecruisers & battleships.

I'll start my own thread regarding these so I don't clog your Star Trek one.
KW91
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 pm

I know just the guy to ask....
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby stryderg » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:04 am

Since we're tossing out ideas, I've got one (really cheap, too!).

Each ship has 4 shield facings (fore, aft, right, left). They are strongest at one facing and lose 1 on either side and 2 in rear. Strongest facing can be moved during the movement phase of each turn.
ie. A ship has 4 shields, captain commands "extra power to the port shields". Port /Left is now the primary facing (4 shields), fore and aft get 3 shields, and starboard/right gets 2 shields.

How you track that for 20 ships is up to you.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby ZorroGames » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:00 am

For simplicity sake I would just view shields a "bubble" of protection myself. :geek:
Gracias,

Glenn

Avatar from Desert Documentary by Kieran McCarty - Soldado de Cuera illustration
http://www.library.arizona.edu
Kindly edited by Biddo
SOLDADO DE CUERA
Illustrated by
José Cisneros, El Paso
ZorroGames
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby stryderg » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Oh, I agree. That just gives it more Trek-ish feel. But it's one more thing to keep track of. But it can also lead to some more strategies (flanking makes sense, manouver becomes important, etc).
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:43 pm

stryderg wrote:Oh, I agree. That just gives it more Trek-ish feel. But it's one more thing to keep track of. But it can also lead to some more strategies (flanking makes sense, manouver becomes important, etc).

It would work well with the optional rules for smaller ship actions.

OptionalRules03092013.pdf
(260.17 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey,

I never got ANY of these replies, someone get me Uhura!

That is odd though, I never got notification of the replies to this post...I used to and the "box" is selected to receive replies...anyways...must be the Klingons!

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure by Shield idea works, I think I have it backwards or something, honestly it might be moot point. I'll have to think about it some more. I hope to get a playtest in soon, maybe this weekend...

I've got the optional rules .pdf and I actually just found a .pdf from someone at Star Ranger (through SuperGalacticDreadnought's blog). It covers the arc issue and gives some stats for several ships.

Time to process some things!
Brian
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby WargamingR » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Brian,

At the bottom of the page should be an option to "Subscribe Topic", which should then send you an email when there's a new post. I think(:?:) it will only send again once you've actually visited and read the topic again, so that could explain why you're not getting any further messages...
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby THW » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:19 pm

WargamingR wrote:Hi Brian,

At the bottom of the page should be an option to "Subscribe Topic", which should then send you an email when there's a new post. I think(:?:) it will only send again once you've actually visited and read the topic again, so that could explain why you're not getting any further messages...

Son of a gun, learn something new everyday,
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Next

Return to Homebrew