5150 NL - Find Encounter

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

5150 NL - Find Encounter

Postby BigWalleye » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Tried one of these and it felt like an up-hill slog. So I worked through the possible cases, and by my calculation, there is a 31% chance to resolve the encounter in one month - less than 1chance in 3. This seems a bit bleak to me. Am I missing something?
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: 5150 NL - Find Encounter

Postby Crinklechips » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm okay with a Find taking multiple encounters but if youre doing it as a job for someone it could prove a nightmare money sink if not resolved quickly! That being said its very Firefly. They were always skint ;)
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby BigWalleye » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Don't like to spend several months hanging out on the same rock. And the guys who hire me all seem to want results PDQ! IIRC, Reynolds didn't have to cover 3 Decreasing Rep d6 every month, either. :)

Seriously, I guess I just expected to have a reasonable chance to complete a job in 1montg. Mebbe my mistake.
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Crinklechips » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:07 pm

BigWalleye wrote:Don't like to spend several months hanging out on the same rock. And the guys who hire me all seem to want results PDQ! IIRC, Reynolds didn't have to cover 3 Decreasing Rep d6 every month, either. :)

Seriously, I guess I just expected to have a reasonable chance to complete a job in 1montg. Mebbe my mistake.

I think you should consider FIND a potential long term goal but maybe I'm wrong.

What say you Ed?
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Here's the cool thing, it's really one Encounter. So if it takes multiple encounters to succeed it's still one. Just consider each one taking a few days, which makes more sense, as you'r eon the same planet. Here's a Bat Rep of this encounter that took about 12 games but was considered spread over about a week of real time.

https://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/ ... nings.html

So as it applies to NL, I start with a Find in the Daytime, then a Confrontation happens that night. The next day I question someone and try a raid, etc. Still count it as one long Encounter. Hope this makes sense.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Crinklechips » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Ah, of course!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 pm

BigWalleye wrote:Don't like to spend several months hanging out on the same rock. And the guys who hire me all seem to want results PDQ! IIRC, Reynolds didn't have to cover 3 Decreasing Rep d6 every month, either. :)

NOpe, not your mistake. wasn;t clear as it could have been. Should have said "Here's a multi-Encounter adventure playable in one month."
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby BigWalleye » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Hey, Ed. Thanks for the quick response. It makes sense. Those interviews and confrontations don't take a lot of calendar time. And I can play it as written, without trimming any of the confrontations. After all, I am poking my nose in places where I am a stranger, so people may not like that, even if they aren't involved in whatever is going on. And I won't know which is which. Makes good story.

So now I'm back to trying to find out who put the Hishen mob on my tail, and why.

-BW
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 pm

BigWalleye wrote:Hey, Ed. Thanks for the quick response. It makes sense. Those interviews and confrontations don't take a lot of calendar time. And I can play it as written, without trimming any of the confrontations. After all, I am poking my nose in places where I am a stranger, so people may not like that, even if they aren't involved in whatever is going on. And I won't know which is which. Makes good story.

So now I'm back to trying to find out who put the Hishen mob on my tail, and why.

-BW

Glad it made sense.It's hard to address everything that could happen in rules when I write them so it's nice to have the forum for quick response.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to 5150 Universe