This is my take on fighting a Star Navy battle on a battle board. After placing the ships on the battle board, use the following sequence:
Starting with the player who won first activation, alternate performing each of the following steps:
• Breaking off. Ships that break off are immediately removed from the battle board.
• Fighter missions. Surviving fighters return to their ship AFTER both sides have finished unless they are on a CAP.
• Guns-1. Ships may fire guns with a -1 penalty due to long range. Ships firing in this step may not fire guns or missiles later on. They are basically trying to knock out ships waiting for a later step to fire before they get a chance.
• Guns. Ships may fire guns without the long range penalty. Ships firing in this step may not fire missiles in the next step. They are basically trying to knock out those ships waiting for the missile step before they get a chance.
• Missiles. Ships that haven't fired guns or missiles may now do so.
• Ramming/Boarding. This is when ramming attempts are carried out, or boarding actions Ships that haven't launched fighters, fired guns or missiles, may now conduct a boarding action.
That's pretty much it for now. I think it does a good job simulating the moving into position on a tabletop with minis.
All of the rest of the rules seem to work. For a campaign, no need to move markers on the little grid, just resolve the PEFs one at a time.
And here is my first battle:
For this battle I decided that my Star Navy Battleship encounters 3 Hishen ships: a class 4 and 2 class 3’s.
Due to a lousy long range scan roll and subsequent first activation roll on the part of the Hishen, the Star Navy will activate first.
Step 1. Breaking off.
The Hishen want my crew so they don’t either.
Step 2. Fighters.
No one has ‘em.
Step 3. Guns-1.
It’s very out of character for me…but… I’m holding my fire.
The Hishen are missile-heavy, so they holding fire as well.
Step 4. Guns.
ALL BATTERIES, OPEN FIRE! I’m targeting the Hishen class 4: I pass 1D6, so 3 guns are effective, -2 shields, 1 hit. Hit location is shields, and since I’m higher class, my hit does 5 points of damage. The Hishen class 4’s shields are gone! But, they pass the received damage test on 2D6 and continue on.
The Hishen continue to hold fire.
Step 5. Missiles and guns.
I don’t have missiles, and even if I did, since I didn’t wait until now to shoot, I couldn’t even if I did.
The Hishen class 4 fires 2 missiles…shot down by the Star Navy’s AA!
Next the Hishen class 3 also w/ 2 missiles…uh oh! Only 1 is shot down…the hull is hit for 1 point of damage…but the Star Navy continues on.
The final Hishen class 3 fires 2 missiles…but they are gunned down by AA.
Step 6. Boarding.
Neither side can board as they have all fired guns or missiles this turn.
That completes a whole turn of battle board Star Navy!