Bughunts and 5150

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Bughunts and 5150

Postby Samsonov » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 pm

I recently brought some 32mm colonial marines and Aliens (from Prodos) and am looking for a ruleset to do bughunts with them. Additionally, I have about 40 of the old starship trooper bugs (from Mongoose), mainly the standards warrior bugs but also a few flyers, bugs with ranged attacks and large bugs (a tanker and plasma bug). These have never seen a game because never found a suitable mobile infantry range of models but the 32mm colonial marines make excellent substitutes. I am wondering if anyone could recommend which 5150 ruleset to go for.

I will be 90% plus gaming solo. I would be fielding roughly 20 colonial marines/mobile infantry against roughly 40 aliens/arachnids. I want a set of rules which throw up unexpected situations. I am interested in 5150 rulesets because I do not want to deploy both forces in full before the game begins. Rather, I would rather the human side did not know exactly what forces they are facing. I would ideally like some type of campaign whereby the results of one game is relevant to the next. Finally, rules which allow non-bug hunts against opposing human/humanoid forces would be a bonus but not required.

The most inclusive choice seems to be 5150 Star Army. That looks like it gives me a ruleset which I can mold to whatever purposes I wish. However, the other three options look like that might have specifically useful rules. Firstly, Bug – Into the Tunnels. It covers tunnel warfare and non-tunnel warfare. Both options sound ideal for starship troopers. Secondly, Bugs – No Retreat. I was wondering what this covers, i.e. why plump for this rather than get the tunnel and non-tunnel warfare of Into the Tunnels? Thirdly, 5150: Missions – Infestation. This looks like more corridor based gaming rather than outdoor, so would be ideal for aliens. However, I was wondering if this is more constrained to the specific setting rather than being a toolbox?

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Samsonov
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Bughunts and 5150

Postby Buffrockjaw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:13 pm

I vote for 5150-Infestation. Although the main scenario is inside a structure, it's also packed with "generic" missions that could take place anywhere. And nothing ever goes down the same way. You could have a cake walk one time, and a wipe right after that. It would do indoors or outdoors with very little trouble.
Buffrockjaw
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby DeadbeatJ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Buffrockjaw wrote:I vote for 5150-Infestation. Although the main scenario is inside a structure, it's also packed with "generic" missions that could take place anywhere. And nothing ever goes down the same way. You could have a cake walk one time, and a wipe right after that. It would do indoors or outdoors with very little trouble.

Yeah i agree ..
DeadbeatJ
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby EasyEight » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 am

I think 5150 Star Marine gives you more options, plus a whole campaign generator, and you can use it with Infestation.
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Return to 5150 Universe