How is No Limits different from Fringe Space?

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

How is No Limits different from Fringe Space?

Postby Martian Banshee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:46 am

... Do you want to know more?........ Yes, yes I want to know more.

I tried to playtest FS and couldn't devote any time due to a terrible work schedule. I've tried to play FS and didn't really make it past one Chillin' scenario due to a terrible work schedule.

I was a bit disappointed that FS used only Rep, as I'm used to RPG type games with many more stats. I now teach at a 2 year technical college and have more free time than I can ever remember. Admittedly, I'm a touch behind on 5150, as I've not yet had a chance to open 5150BC or the new SA (both are quite dusty, sadly). For that matter, how different is Infestation from SA?
Martian Banshee
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: How is No Limits different from Fringe Space?

Postby THW » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Okay , here we go.

The Increasing Rep and decreasing Rep 6 in FS as an option is standard in No Limits and smoother.
Generating NPCs in No Limits is faster and easier to do.
50% more Attributes in No Limits but the number you get are lower for quicker play and Character Development.
FS goes into more detail to generate Character - No Limits dropped Home World, Class and Social Standing rolled into Profession, Age dropped but your career is limited.
Reaction Tests in FS are rolled into the Will to Fight Table while still keeping the difference by Professions to how they respond.
Received Fire and Man Down are integrated in the other tables. Best one is the Received Fire test as now if you get shot at on the Shooting Tbale and missed you return auto fire. BUT if you've returned fire once, you Duck Back instead.
No Charge into Melee - built into the Action Table and shooting tables..
Ship to ship is similar, but a little more streamlined.
Hard to believe it's been 3 years since FS came out. Biggest take away is mechanics streamlined and enhance the Story while the slowness of the mechanics in FS detracts fromit. but the excitement and flow of the game remains the same. Nice thing is you can take any of the detail from FS and bring them into No Limits.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Sablemage » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 pm

So I'm looking to get back into THW games after a year away from Fringe Space and (gosh) four years away from ATZ - a couple of questions please...

It looks like ATZ Evo is the successor to ATZ FFO, and I'm wondering if No Limits is a successor to Fringe Space in the same way?

Do Evo and No Limits use the Action Table or the older Reaction Tables?

Thanks in advance...
Sablemage
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Sablemage wrote:So I'm looking to get back into THW games after a year away from Fringe Space and (gosh) four years away from ATZ - a couple of questions please...

Here goes.

It looks like ATZ Evo is the successor to ATZ FFO, and I'm wondering if No Limits is a successor to Fringe Space in the same way?
Both ATZ Evo and No Limits can be used with FFO and Fringe Space. You can bring characters back and forth depending upon the type of game you feel like playing.

Do Evo and No Limits use the Action Table or the older Reaction Tables? Actuion Table, but you can use them for each individual figure if you want to instead of the Leader. Hope this helps.
Both games play faster, getting to the action quicker instead of moving around a table, but you can still do it that way if you like.

Thanks in advance...
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Sablemage » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks Ed!
Sablemage
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby monsterfurby » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

I was wondering the same thing, thanks for the answers! From the mention of a battle board, I assume these new 5150 rules implement the 2018 chain reaction system?
monsterfurby
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:34 am

monsterfurby wrote:I was wondering the same thing, thanks for the answers! From the mention of a battle board, I assume these new 5150 rules implement the 2018 chain reaction system?

What happened was the system came into play with some of the rules so I had to upgrade Chain Reaction to match it, while slimming it down in CR.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to 5150 Universe