robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby evandro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:39 am

I really don't know where to post this :?

I am currently playing my first Chain Reaction 2015 mini-campaign with cheap plastic army men, matchbox cars and building blocks.

I am considering expanding my games a little, using other easily available toys. For instance:
  • dinosaurs
  • robots
  • giant bugs
  • various kinds of aliens (giants included)

Is there a game not too different from Chain Reaction 2015 that would allow me to use all of the above? Or that can be easily house-ruled to that purpose?

I would also be interested in a more structured campaign system. I don't care much about the advancement of single characters, but I like the idea of an overarching story linking skirmish encounters.

THW has such a huge catalog that the choice is hard for a newbie :)

Any suggestions, links to AARs with similar figures, reviews, game comparisons are welcome!
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby EasyEight » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:16 pm

evandro wrote:I really don't know where to post this :?

I am currently playing my first Chain Reaction 2015 mini-campaign with cheap plastic army men, matchbox cars and building blocks.

I am considering expanding my games a little, using other easily available toys. For instance:
  • dinosaurs
  • robots
  • giant bugs
  • various kinds of aliens (giants included)

Is there a game not too different from Chain Reaction 2015 that would allow me to use all of the above? Or that can be easily house-ruled to that purpose?

I would also be interested in a more structured campaign system. I don't care much about the advancement of single characters, but I like the idea of an overarching story linking skirmish encounters.

THW has such a huge catalog that the choice is hard for a newbie :)

Any suggestions, links to AARs with similar figures, reviews, game comparisons are welcome!


Well, Adventures in the Lost Lands gives you dinosaurs (http://www.twohourwargames.com/adinlola.html). The OOP "Motor City BC" introduced cars and giant bugs into the Lost Lands. The 5150 series, Urban Renewal and Fringe Space has aliens and robots.
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
User avatar
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 am
Location: California

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby THW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:38 pm

When the THW Vault opens up there will be many to choose from and at reasonable pricing if not free.
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4481
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby TXWargamer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:00 pm

THW wrote:When the THW Vault opens up there will be many to choose from and at reasonable pricing if not free.


Even though I've bought almost if not every title the Vault just sounds tasty...
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby evandro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

THW wrote:When the THW Vault opens up there will be many to choose from and at reasonable pricing if not free.


Thank you, Ed! I hand't heard of the THW Vault before. I'll keep my eyes open for it :)


EasyEight wrote:
Well, Adventures in the Lost Lands gives you dinosaurs (http://www.twohourwargames.com/adinlola.html). The OOP "Motor City BC" introduced cars and giant bugs into the Lost Lands. The 5150 series, Urban Renewal and Fringe Space has aliens and robots.



Thank you EasyEight! Adventures in the Lost Lands sound like a good first upgrade for me :)

Could you please add a few details on how robots are handled in 5150? Do they have their own reaction tables? Do they get a more in-depth treatment in one of Urban Renewal or Fringe Space? Is a robot as one of the protagonists explicitly contemplated in the rules?

How do campaign systems in these three books compare?
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby evandro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:31 pm

PS: to get started with robots, I also found this http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/i ... -free.html
Thanks, Ed!
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby TXWargamer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:46 pm

evandro wrote:PS: to get started with robots, I also found this http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/i ... -free.html
Thanks, Ed!


There is also a bunch of fan made and official stuff in the old THW Archive Yahoo group.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: robots, aliens, dinosaurs, bugs - please help

Postby evandro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:10 pm

TXWargamer wrote:
evandro wrote:PS: to get started with robots, I also found this http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/i ... -free.html
Thanks, Ed!


There is also a bunch of fan made and official stuff in the old THW Archive Yahoo group.


Cool, thank you TXW!!!
CR3-TheScourge could be something worth looking into for me!

Does anybody feel like adding some detail about the different campaign systems?
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am


Return to Sci-Fi

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests