Fringe Space Questions

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Fringe Space Questions

Postby Mehman » Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Right then, it's question time again. Everyone ready? Make sure your trays and chairs are in the upright position and thank you for flying Air-Meh. We'll be on our way when the pilot is cleared for take off.

I've been eyeing Fringe Space for a while now and I think it's time to finally pull the trigger and get it. There are a few questions I've got before it gets ordered. (What am I saying? Of course I'll still get it :lol: !) Remember, there are no right or wrong answers but you can be incorrect. Here goes:

1. The idea of salvaging ship wrecks, mining asteroids, and being a space merchant all appeal to me greatly. Reading the blurb on the THW website, it seems you can do the first thing but what about the other two? Being a space merchant makes sense but what about space mining? People need water, metal, and other minerals when living in either far-off areas, bustling skyscraper planets, or exhausted rocks in space. Also, mining is nifty and will allow me to feel like a prospector without having to wear overalls and/or a wide-brimmed hat.

2. Can you build your own spaceships to zoom about the galaxy or will I need to buy Star Navy or some other ruleset and then meld them together?

3. Is Fringe Space usable with Star Navy, Star Army, Star Marine, Star Private Military Contractor*, and Urban Renewal?

4. How are you today? I hope your day is going well and I hope it gets better if it's not going as planned.

Anyway, I think that's it. Thanks for any help you can give, dear reader.

* This, of course, isn't a THW title... yet. Don't give me an excuse to make it or badger Ed into making it.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Fringe Space Questions

Postby THW » Sat May 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Right then, it's question time again. Everyone ready? Make sure your trays and chairs are in the upright position and thank you for flying Air-Meh. We'll be on our way when the pilot is cleared for take off.

I've been eyeing Fringe Space for a while now and I think it's time to finally pull the trigger and get it. There are a few questions I've got before it gets ordered. (What am I saying? Of course I'll still get it !) Remember, there are no right or wrong answers but you can be incorrect. Here goes:

1. The idea of salvaging ship wrecks, mining asteroids, and being a space merchant all appeal to me greatly. Reading the blurb on the THW website, it seems you can do the first thing but what about the other two? Being a space merchant makes sense but what about space mining? People need water, metal, and other minerals when living in either far-off areas, bustling skyscraper planets, or exhausted rocks in space. Also, mining is nifty and will allow me to feel like a prospector without having to wear overalls and/or a wide-brimmed hat.

Yes. You can do that but you’d have to figure a way to do the actual mining if you want to do actual mining. Steal this form Edd’s Pub.
WANT SOME OF THOSE RICHES?
Like we said, the Dwarven Mines have riches to entice people to face the danger. Want some of those riches? Here’s how we do it:
• Complete an Explore Encounter (page 20) in the Dwarven Mines. That’s 3 + 1/2d6 PEFs in the Dwarven Mines area. At the end of a successful Explore Encounter – you achieved your objective (page 20) – you have established a Mine.
• Play a Defend Encounter (page 20). At the end of each successful Defend Encounter – you achieved your objective (page 20) – you can dig for riches.
• Each of your Band members rolls 1d6.
• If a 6 is scored, it has found 1d6 Riches.
• The maximum Riches a Character can carry is equal to twice its Rep.
• Any Riches that cannot be carried are lost.
Example – Sir Billy Pink has led a Band to the Dwarven Mines and has completed an explore Encounter. They have now constructed a Mine.
They have a defend Encounter and after being successful they can start digging for riches. Billy, Quan, and Arthur each roll 1d6 and score a 3, 4 and 6. The 6 means they have found something so I roll 1d6 and score a 5. They have found 5 riches.
After a long while the Band has accumulated 26 Riches.
Sir Billy Pink (Rep 5), Quan (Rep 4), and Arthur (Rep 4) can carry 10, 8, and 8 Riches respectively. On the way to cash out, Arthur is killed and the 8 Riches lost. If Billy or Quan were not carrying their maximum load of Riches, they could have recovered the Riches lost by Arthur.

2. Can you build your own spaceships to zoom about the galaxy or will I need to buy Star Navy or some other ruleset and then meld them together? Ships are included in Fringe Space as well as spaceship combat, my favorite version as it plays fast, just like it would in reality..

3. Is Fringe Space usable with Star Navy, Star Army, Star Marine, Star Private Military Contractor*, and Urban Renewal? They all work together. Of course you may have to tweak a few things but it’s easy enough

4. How are you today? I hope your day is going well and I hope it gets better if it's not going as planned. It’s always good, I'm lucky. Watching the Kentucky Derby and working between races..

Anyway, I think that's it. Thanks for any help you can give, dear reader.

* This, of course, isn't a THW title... yet. Don't give me an excuse to make it or badger Ed into making it. In the works. Send me what you want to see in it as we do have some ideas.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Mehman » Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 pm

That all sounds perfect, Ed! Also, thanks for the excerpt from Edd's Pub on mining. Looks like that's on the shopping list, too. I look forward to buying Fringe Space later this month - along with numerous other titles as I've been busy lately with this PA game I'm still making. Grr...

Anyway, thanks again for answering my questions. It means a lot that the big guy in charge cares enough to do that.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Mehman » Wed May 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Email sent, Ed.
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby zonk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:35 am

About Fringe Space questions...

Enhancements - Loop The character gains 1 Decreasing Rep D6 each time a loop is run. EACH time? Cumulative?

Dangers of Enhancements: Stims: Count a -1D6 when taking a Talk the Talk Test. When using or always? Using a Stim once means a permanent -1D6?

Using Friday Night Fights or Alien Fight Night in Fringe? And why not Mixed Martial Arts for the Hero vs Villain at the movie's climax? I understand the other two are sporting events but Flash's Epic battle with Ming needs some chewyness

Swordplay for the épée corps-à-corps where you exchange witty remarks?

Does Future Tales mix well with Fringe?
zonk
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 pm

zonk wrote:About Fringe Space questions... Here goes.

Enhancements - Loop The character gains 1 Decreasing Rep D6 each time a loop is run. EACH time? Cumulative? Each time refers to each Encounter not each time you use the benefit. So if flying and using Ace you gain 1 Decreasing Rep d6 regardless of how many times you use the benefit during the fight.

Dangers of Enhancements: Stims: Count a -1D6 when taking a Talk the Talk Test. When using or always? Just using.Using a Stim once means a permanent -1D6? No, just while using the Stim.

Using Friday Night Fights or Alien Fight Night in Fringe? And why not Mixed Martial Arts for the Hero vs Villain at the movie's climax? I understand the other two are sporting events but Flash's Epic battle with Ming needs some chewyness You could easily use MMA rules.

Swordplay for the épée corps-à-corps where you exchange witty remarks? Yep that too.

Does Future Tales mix well with Fringe? Yep it does. We try to make all the games compatible with varying degrees of tweaking necessary.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby EasyEight » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 pm

One of the drafts of Fringe Space included a new wealth & trading system, which had not just carrying other people's cargoes, but:

• Hauling Cargo
• Hauling Passengers
• Speculation & Trade
• Smuggling
• Mining & Resource Extraction
• Wrecking & Salvage
• Missions

Trading was more detailed. When you generated a system you kept track of it not just LAW and POP, but also type (Ag world, Mining, Developed) -- and that influenced how much cargo was bought and sold for.

Example: Example – The Billy’s Chance arrives at a Zhuh-Zhuh Farming Planet (POP 3) and has 3 Units of Cargo to sell from a Manufacturing planet. Captain Billy resolves the first PEF by using the Trader Table and finds a Trader. He can now trade Cargo.
Captain Billy rolls 2d6 and scores a total of 9, then he makes Trade Adjustments. He gets +1 for trading Manufacturing cargo at a Farming world, and a variable for trading at a non-faction planet. He rolls 1d6 and scores a 5, giving an extra +1 modifier. The final result is an 11. Looking on the Trading Table Billy sees that he can get 40 Wealth per Unit of Cargo. He now rolls for Market Fluctuations and luckily there aren’t any.

The system included "Wealth Points" which were basically a type of Increasing/Decreasing REP that you kept track of to see how wealthy you were, what resources you had access to, etc.

Wealth Level Wealth Points Financial Condition Cash Dice on Hand Type of Item or Services What You Drive Where You Live
1 0 (I)Impoverished or in debt - 2d6 Free Motorcycle Apartment or Tenement
2 50 (S)Struggling -1d6 Cheap Car Simple Home or Apartment
3 100 (M)Middle Class +0d6 Average Aircraft Apartment or Nice Home
4 500 (A)Affluent +1d6 High Quality Shuttle Luxury Home or Upscale Apartment
5 1000 (W)Wealthy +2d6 Expensive Freighter Penthouse Apartment or Mansion
6 5000 (R)Rich +3d6 Very Expensive Starliner Luxury Estate or Private Building
7 10000 (V)Very Rich +4d6 Extremely Expensive Starbase Private Starbase

Example 1(Abstract WP use): Captain Billy Pink has accumulated 600Wealth Points and is considered Affluent. He wants to buy a Freighter (a “Wealthy” asset) and makes a Wheeling and Dealing roll against his Cash Skill (3), applying his Trader skill (+1 Rep), but -1 for trying to get an item one level above his current WP. He rolls a “3” and a “4” and can only get the Freighter if he lowers his WP from Affluent to Middle Class. He decides to take the hit and get the Freighter.

Example 2 (Tracking specific WP): Captain Billy Pink has accumulated 600 Wealth Points and is considered Affluent. He wants to buy a Freighter but needs another 400 Wealth Points. He can’t go to a bank given his colorful past so he goes to Gratz the loan shark. Captain Pink makes a Wheeling and Dealing roll against his Cash Skill (3d6), applying his Smooth Attribute (+1d6), while the loan shark rolls 4d6 (the loan is an Affluent Wealth Point level). Billy scores3,3,4,2 for three successes while Gratz scores 2, 6, 2, 4 for two successes. Billy convinces Gratz to front him the cash and now has 110WP, enough to buy his Freighter with 100WP to spare. Now he’d better hope he can pay it back!

But at the time the book was already pushing the limits of new stuff you could reasonably introduce -- but there's the core of a 5150 book on traders and merchants here if anyone wants to collaborate on it.

Cheers!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby zonk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Me: I understand the other two are sporting events but Flash's Epic battle with Ming needs some chewyness
Ed: You could easily use MMA rules.

OK are there any 2HWG MMA rules?

I've looked through LTL, LTL-DC, all of the 5150 rpg sets (except AFN). My question is are there any crunchy MMA rules in 2HWG? I mean we have boxing, and SF boxing (AFN). I thought LTL/LTL-DC might be where they were found for climatic fight scenes but no. So a suggestion on things to put in AFN/FNF for crunchiness? As I have, currently, neither of those, but I have seen the TOC with stalking/Boxing/Take Control/KO so there is some crunchiness already there. But no Vulcan Nerve Pinch?

Suggestions people?
zonk
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Atomic Floozy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby THW » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:20 am

Atomic Floozy wrote:How about these :

http://www.twohourwargames.com/51alfini.html

Yep, those are the ones.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed