5150 NQ into Battletech

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Re: 5150 NQ into Battletech

Postby demether » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am

I've got a crapload of weapons, but can't shoot them all (and move) without causing major heat buildup?!?! I just didn't get it.

I don't agree, even if I don't say I'm right and you're wrong, of course. For me, heat management is an essential part of the concept, and an essential part of a mech design. All is a matter of balance between moving, weapons use, and heat management. that's why you can use "small" mechs and not only huge metal titans with dozens of powerfull weapons. The essential key of the game is the choice you have to make. You feel that you're using a machine that you have to manage with expertise.

Otherwise, it would just be a combat of regulat soldiers fighting, with a layer of giant robots on it. What's the diference, then, if the mechs just acts like regular soldiers ? They move, they shoot, and nothing special happens, compared to a flesh and blood soldier. Yes, you can say "its generator blowed up", but it's just a sentence you can replace with "he has been shot right into his heart". Hard to tell in english, but for me it's just a "skin" of robotic warfare on a (maybe good, that's not the point) regular skirmish infantry game.
Owner of : Warrior Heroes : Legends - Larger than life - 5150 NewBeginings - Rally Round the King - All thing Zombie + Risks deck - 5150 Star Navy - NUTS! + Clash Of Titans + Stalingrad : Heroes All - NUTS Big Battles
demether
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Deathworks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello!

While I am just a casual player, I agree with Demether that the heat management is an essential aspect of Battletech, at least for me.

I really like how heat works as a limiting factor for mech design and part of strategies. After all, thanks to heat management, the terrain gets a bit more attention, be it by using water for the extra cooling factor or by setting a forest ablaze to basically smoke out that pesky sniper mech. Without heat management, that sniper could probably stay inside the burning forest and fire at you as it likes, while with the current rules, its effectiveness is severely reduced.

Going to the limit with heat development also lends itself to epic stories - single-handedly fighting off a group of mechs by straining the mech to its limits and beyonds sounds quite impressive, especially if it is your own decisions that harm the mech and not just the enemy fire.

And ever since I got a whiff of the animated series, whenever heat gets critical, I hear that computerized voice saying "Heat sinks at saturation point. Catastrophic failure in 30 seconds." :) :) :) :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

(Although I admit that my most memorable Battletech experience was a Spider destroying a Catapult with a single kick)
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby KW91 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Demether & Deathworks - I have no problem with heat in Battletech, especially since I don't play it any more. I didn't like tracking the heat and having designs that, in my opinion only, were poor (loaded with weapons, but not nearly enough heat sinks). I get that heat is a big factor in BT. I would rather not have to deal with it which is why I like No Quarter.

IF heat would be involved in No Quarter, I'd prefer something like a heat check at the end of a turn (or beginning?). Pass 2d6, and you're good to go, pass less, then bad things can happen or limit actions. Of course, you'd have to come up with some sort of heat mechanic, how much does each weapon and/or action contribute to "heat". I'd assume that guns and rockets would minimally affect heat, but PPGs and lasers would be more heat intensive. Maybe part of the design process in NQ, you calculate a heat factor based on weapons.
KW91
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Deathworks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Hello!

I also think that a turn-based check with passing dice would be a good approach, like you suggest. Going with all the details of Battletech would probably be not a good fit with THW design, which is quick and easy to use. My feeling is just that the heat issue is something that characterizes the Battletech world, adding to its flavour - at least it does in my book.

Maybe have a heat sink attribute based on how well the mech is fitted with heat sinks and then check passing dice against that attribute, modifying it for special conditions like being submerged in water, within a burning field, or firing heat intensive weapons (ignoring projectile weapons). Granted, it would still be a test with a bit more modifiers than the average THW test, but not as much as with the original game. Calculating the heat sink attribute during mech design would then be the challenge for designing this to be both easy to use and at the same time interesting.... Those are just some spontaneous ideas I have.

Personally, I always liked that attempts to make an ubermech would always end up with a mech that had one striking weakness - either too little armor plating or too few heat sinks. They reminded me of the human tendency to make things too big and then having them fail.

Anyhow, I want to stress that these are just my thoughts. As Ed always tells us, it is our game, and each of us should use it as we see fit. You don't like heat sinks, that is cool. I find them interesting, so I will try to make them fit. And all of us just have plain good old fun.

Yours,
Deathworks
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Yep, THW is made to tweak as desired. Maybe roll 1d6 for each point of Rep of the Pilot versus it's Rep. -1d6 for each heat affecting weapon fired.
Pass 2d6+ = All good.
Pass 1d6 = Uh oh! Highest heat affecting weapon fired shuts down for one Activation.
Pass 0d6 = Crap! All heat affecting weapons, whether fired or not, shut down for one Activation.

Easy, but still captures a bit of the flavor.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby demether » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Personally, I always liked that attempts to make an ubermech would always end up with a mech that had one striking weakness - either too little armor plating or too few heat sinks. They reminded me of the human tendency to make things too big and then having them fail.

Anyhow, I want to stress that these are just my thoughts. As Ed always tells us, it is our game, and each of us should use it as we see fit. You don't like heat sinks, that is cool. I find them interesting, so I will try to make them fit. And all of us just have plain good old fun.

I totally agree, that's a matter of choice and personal taste. If someone prefers without heat, it's perfectly OK, I just wanted to explain that if we like heat feature, it's not because we like pen and paper intense tracking :lol: but because it brings some specific flavour.

Sooner or later, I will probably buy this game (no quarter) and see how I could tweak it to my own "needs". I've got battletech last edition, and a few other BT-like games, but none offers the solo features of the thw system.
Owner of : Warrior Heroes : Legends - Larger than life - 5150 NewBeginings - Rally Round the King - All thing Zombie + Risks deck - 5150 Star Navy - NUTS! + Clash Of Titans + Stalingrad : Heroes All - NUTS Big Battles
demether
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby KW91 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Demether - you could add the solo features from THW to Battletech or one of your other games. Play BT solo with the regular rules for shooting/damage/heat, but use the THW In Sight/PEF/Reactions rules. Either way, have fun!
KW91
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:39 pm

KW91 wrote:Demether - you could add the solo features from THW to Battletech or one of your other games. Play BT solo with the regular rules for shooting/damage/heat, but use the THW In Sight/PEF/Reactions rules. Either way, have fun!

Yep, just take the Reaction stuf form Chain reaction.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi