2d6 Sci Fi Combat

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

2d6 Sci Fi Combat

Postby THW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:40 pm

2d6scifif.jpg
(105.99 KiB) Downloaded 3935 times

2D6 Sci Fi Combat Linked 081416 2.pdf
(5.87 MiB) Downloaded 157 times

Download it here now!
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Re: 2d6 Sci Fi Combat

Postby shon maxx » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Done, thanks!
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby flashcove » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Got it! :lol:
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby tinyminis » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:33 pm

noticed one little minor mistake. says "one of four classes". there are more than four classes.
tinyminis
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:51 pm

tinyminis wrote:noticed one little minor mistake. says "one of four classes". there are more than four classes.

I didn't include Ragers or Bugs as p[layer characters, but if they want to, they can play as them. Added them late.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby ravensron » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Just received 2D6 Sci Fi Combat. Been in or run very few games the past few years, but trend seems to be a lot more story and a lot less dice rolling; the adventure is what matters so much more than "realism" of the fights. Lo and behold, you come up with a game exactly for that purpose! Do have a few comments and questions, having watched my great-granddaughter play with the same plastic figures I've had since I was her age (and with which I've played, inter alia, Chain Reaction):
- Although 2D6 Sci Fi Combat as written actually doesn't need figures at all, you presume players put figures on the Battleboard which is a square foot in size; therefore there's a visual representation of some area in which the figures are moving around. "Cover" should therefore only apply if it is something the players see. That is, a figure is in cover if some item/object/terrain is inbetween it and whoever is shooting at it. I say this because, even though far too young even for this game, my great-granddaughter understands the idea that putting a wall or door between you and the monster saves you from the monster. So, if we're playing with figures, where they are on the table should mean something.
- Similarly, there should be some kind of movement rule: "A figure can only charge an opponent within X inches"
- When the inactive figure is allowed to return fire, if the original active figure is still on its feet it can return fire, then the inactive figure if still on its feet can return fire again, etc., all within the first activation before anything else, just as in the other Chain Reaction systems?
- In the example on P.6, second paragraph: the three 2D6 rolls stated for "Billy" are damage rolls, presuming he already passed a single 2D6 to-hit roll?
- In the recovery rule on p.7: when a character is out of the fight, you recover him by moving another on the same side adjacent, then the following activation round both figures are off the board, then after the fight if the OOF character passes at least 1 of the 2 dice both he and the rescuer return to the gang? The notation in the After The Fight Recovery table on p. 8 - "Those those that Left the Table before their Leader do not return" - doesn't apply to the recovered guy and his rescuer, only to those who cut'n'ran?
- If characters in melee are breaking even, each losing a Rep each round until if they're both at Rep 0 at the same time then they're both still at Rep 1 for the next round? I gather it's intentional that the fighters are tiring and thus now have only 1:6 chance of passing any dice. If one of them then passes a die, the other doesn't but passes the roll v. his DV he still drops a Rep which means he's 0 which means he's OOF?
- Melee rounds are all within the same activation? That is, if they break even and have to fight subsequent round(s) that all happens before the next check for activations of all the other characters in that encounter, same as the chain-reaction of shooting?
ravensron
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:37 pm

ravensron wrote:Just received 2D6 Sci Fi Combat. Been in or run very few games the past few years, but trend seems to be a lot more story and a lot less dice rolling; the adventure is what matters so much more than "realism" of the fights. Lo and behold, you come up with a game exactly for that purpose! Do have a few comments and questions, having watched my great-granddaughter play with the same plastic figures I've had since I was her age (and with which I've played, inter alia, Chain Reaction):

[color=#FF0000]Hi Ron, Here we go.[/color]

- Although 2D6 Sci Fi Combat as written actually doesn't need figures at all, you presume players put figures on the Battleboard which is a square foot in size; therefore there's a visual representation of some area in which the figures are moving around. "Cover" should therefore only apply if it is something the players see. That is, a figure is in cover if some item/object/terrain is inbetween it and whoever is shooting at it. I say this because, even though far too young even for this game, my great-granddaughter understands the idea that putting a wall or door between you and the monster saves you from the monster. So, if we're playing with figures, where they are on the table should mean something. The game is set up for not needing terrain, so on page 5 it says if roll on the Action table and have the Advantage - you're in cover. If you don't you're not. after the 1st Will to Fight Test everyone is in cover as once the shooting starts people will duck for any available cover.
- Similarly, there should be some kind of movement rule: "A figure can only charge an opponent within X inches" The board is 12" and normal THW movement is 8" and if you reach within 6" of the target you can charge. Yo can add movement, as well as setting up terrain, but maybe just follow the Chain Reaction guidelines.
- When the inactive figure is allowed to return fire, if the original active figure is still on its feet it can return fire, then the inactive figure if still on its feet can return fire again, etc., all within the first activation before anything else, just as in the other Chain Reaction systems? Yep, they blaze away until one gets hit.
- In the example on P.6, second paragraph: the three 2D6 rolls stated for "Billy" are damage rolls, presuming he already passed a single 2D6 to-hit roll? Correct.
- In the recovery rule on p.7: when a character is out of the fight, you recover him by moving another on the same side adjacent, then the following activation round both figures are off the board, then after the fight if the OOF character passes at least 1 of the 2 dice both he and the rescuer return to the gang? Correct. The notation in the After The Fight Recovery table on p. 8 - "Those those that Left the Table before their Leader do not return" - doesn't apply to the recovered guy and his rescuer, only to those who cut'n'ran? Correct, those that scored a Leave the Table result on the Will to Fight Test.
- If characters in melee are breaking even, each losing a Rep each round until if they're both at Rep 0 at the same time then they're both still at Rep 1 for the next round? Correct.I gather it's intentional that the fighters are tiring and thus now have only 1:6 chance of passing any dice. If one of them then passes a die, the other doesn't but passes the roll v. his DV he still drops a Rep which means he's 0 which means he's OOF? Right, it's over if one reaches 0 Rep and goes Out of the Fight. The loss in rep is recovered as it could be from tiring or losing an advantage during the fight.
- Melee rounds are all within the same activation? That is, if they break even and have to fight subsequent round(s) that all happens before the next check for activations of all the other characters in that encounter, same as the chain-reaction of shooting? Correct. One more thing to clear up is fighting more than 1 opponent. If you pass 2d6 against both, you drop 2 Rep. This makes Rep 6+ not so powerful. Hope this helps.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby hatleylynn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:42 pm

I decided to give 2d6 Sci-Fi Combat a try and came to an impasse. Wanting to keep it simple, both sides were military with automatic weapons. Both sides had a rep5 leader, 3 rep4 soldiers and 1 rep3. The other squad won the advantage and my squad won activation. My rep3 goes first and ducks back during the exchange of fire. My next guy gets hit and goes OOF. I go against their leader and have to duck back. My last 2 guys take out their targets resulting in 1 OOF and 1OD. I decided to continue the fight and their rep3 is first to act. I split his fire between my 2 guys who are carrying on. He passed 2d6 so all shots were hits. When rolling for damage, both duck back! Now 4 of us are ducked back and 1 is OOF. Still having 2 figures that are active on the other side, I didn't know how to proceed. I also was wondering how to determine if an NPC will charge into melee or fire their weapon. Sorry to be so wordy and thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Lynn
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway " John Wayne.
hatleylynn
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:03 pm

Here goes.
I decided to give 2d6 Sci-Fi Combat a try and came to an impasse. Wanting to keep it simple, both sides were military with automatic weapons. Both sides had a rep5 leader, 3 rep4 soldiers and 1 rep3.

The other squad won the advantage and my squad won activation.
My rep3 goes first and ducks back during the exchange of fire. So he fired and missed and return fire caused a duck back.
My next guy gets hit and goes OOF. So he fired first and return fire got him.
I go against their leader and have to duck back. So you fired first and return fire got you to Duck Back.
My last 2 guys take out their targets resulting in 1 OOF and 1OD. Okay, stop there. Once the active side has finished all shooting and melee the Inactive side takes the Will to Fight (page 8). They take the Will to Fight test. If they pass, and remain on the table, they become active.
I decided to continue the fight and their rep3 is first to act. I split his fire between my 2 guys who are carrying on. He passed 2d6 so all shots were hits. When rolling for damage, both duck back! Got it.
Now 4 of us are ducked back and 1 is OOF. Still having 2 figures that are active on the other side, I didn't know how to proceed. Once they finish firing and meleeing, you take the Will to Fight.

I also was wondering how to determine if an NPC will charge into melee or fire their weapon. Sorry to be so wordy and thanks for the help. No worries. If the NPC has a ranged weapon, it always fires. If it can’t fire, it charges. Hope this helps.
Ed

Cheers,
Lynn
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby hatleylynn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Once again, thanks for the speedy reply, Ed. Didn't realize I had the Will to Fight mixed up but it makes sense that I did. Thanks for the tutoring. I'll give it another go and see what happens. Really a fun game.
Lynn
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway " John Wayne.
hatleylynn
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to Sci-Fi