Anyone tried playing with 40k models?

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Anyone tried playing with 40k models?

Postby eternaldream » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello everyone. I just registered on the site, and wanted to ask some questions. I read over the ruleset for Star Army and I like it. I also downloaded the Battalion expansion but did not Ike it at all. It did have some new stuff like mechs that I'll try to transfer over. Anyway, I love 40k models. I'm not so much a gamer as I am a hobbyist. I want to use my collection of figures with Star Army rules. I want to try the solitaire rules as I don't really have a big gaming group.

Has anyone tried converting some elements to make them fit the 40k universe? Some things transfer over well, like EXO armor being like Power Armor for marines. The only resource I've found online is a website where has some sample notes for armies, which he calls 4DKay. Has anyone else tackled this idea?
eternaldream
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Anyone tried playing with 40k models?

Postby WargamingR » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi EternalDream, and welcome to the forums - it's a very friendly place to be :-)

A guy called Renzo did a partial conversion called CR 4-10^4 which has rules for Chaos, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Orks, Space Marines, Tau Empire and Tyranids.

It was written for an older version of 5150, although much of it would transfer over easily enough.

I'll see if I can find out if it is OK to share it and if so I'll post it somewhere where it's can be easily read.
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Redmao » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:43 pm

The beauty of THW is that you can play with whatever minis you have.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby eternaldream » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Thanks! Please post it if you do. I'm working on some conversions myself, but if someone's done most of the work for me already I can expand on that!
eternaldream
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 pm

5150 4D Kay1.pdf
(313.29 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
4D Kay Project
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby eternaldream » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:35 am

Cool, thanks for that. I've seen those things on a website, but not compiled into a pdf. Very helpful. However he uses a lot of terms in there I can't find in the rulebook. Specifically attributes a model may have, like "Cold as Ice" which means the model is never outgunned, and things like that. Is there some other supplement to the Star Army rules I'm missing.
eternaldream
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:53 am

eternaldream wrote:Cool, thanks for that. I've seen those things on a website, but not compiled into a pdf. Very helpful. However he uses a lot of terms in there I can't find in the rulebook. Specifically attributes a model may have, like "Cold as Ice" which means the model is never outgunned, and things like that. Is there some other supplement to the Star Army rules I'm missing.

No, that was from the original 5150. Name may have been changed or Attribute deleted. Stone Cold?
Ed
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby stryderg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:44 pm

There is also a battle report floating around (I would love to find it again), that features a squad of 5 marines holding a cross roads against a platoon of 30 planetary defense forces (aka IG). It played out more true to the fluff that the rules that were written for the minis. It also showed how well the in-sight tests modeled suppression and opportunity fire.

Note: suppression is not a rule, it's something that happens in the player's head. If you've got a squad in cover, you have to really want to move them out of cover because the other guys will take an in-sight test, and probably get to shoot first.
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Ludanto » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:50 pm

I can't find an actual batrep, but there's a bit of description regarding that HERE.

Mahon the painter wrote:I have just finished a comparing of 40K and 5150 by replaying the same scenario in these two rulesets. Imperial Guard platoon trying to capture crossroads held by Space Marines. The game played with 40K was pretty bland and boring. Too static and 'artificial' for my taste. It ended with the IG surrounding the SM and forcing them to surrender (trying to fall back). On the other hand the game played with 5150 (with the 4Dkay mod) was vicious, dynamic, full of exchanges of fire, troopers hitting the ground to avoid enemy fire, being forced to duck back into craters left after some initial bombardment (I used the same terrain for both games, with craters to imitate effects of bombardment of the crossroads). Troopers rejecting to leave cover under fire, and eventually 2 Imperial Guardsmen managing to leave the board, with their wounded comrade on their shoulders, while some 20 casualties and 3 POWs remained on the SM controlled board.

Totally different experience for me! And highly recommended…

A different batrep HERE also touches on 5150 making the space marines in play as badass as they are described. :)
Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon.
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby WargamingR » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:40 pm

A different batrep HERE also touches on 5150 making the space marines in play as badass as they are described. :)[/quote]

If only 40K had played like that - sigh :(
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Return to 5150 Universe