Fringe Space Questions

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Re: Fringe Space Questions

Postby zonk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:11 am

Thank you Atomic Floozy :D

I never thought to look there. I mean it says GLADIATORS right there on the label

Thank you Ed.
zonk
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:39 pm

zonk wrote:Thank you Atomic Floozy :D

I never thought to look there. I mean it says GLADIATORS right there on the label

Thank you Ed.

What label? It mentions Gladiators in the description to show the differences between them and RSBM. Did I link it wrong? I'm :?
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby zonk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:21 pm

What label? It mentions Gladiators in the description to show the differences between them and RSBM. Did I link it wrong? I'm :?

No I just misunderstood.
zonk
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

zonk wrote:

No I just misunderstood.

No worries, I spend half my life doing that. :)
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Mehman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 pm

EasyEight wrote:One of the drafts of Fringe Space included a new wealth & trading system, which had not just carrying other people's cargoes, but:

• Hauling Cargo
• Hauling Passengers
• Speculation & Trade
• Smuggling
• Mining & Resource Extraction
• Wrecking & Salvage
• Missions

Trading was more detailed. When you generated a system you kept track of it not just LAW and POP, but also type (Ag world, Mining, Developed) -- and that influenced how much cargo was bought and sold for.

Example: Example – The Billy’s Chance arrives at a Zhuh-Zhuh Farming Planet (POP 3) and has 3 Units of Cargo to sell from a Manufacturing planet. Captain Billy resolves the first PEF by using the Trader Table and finds a Trader. He can now trade Cargo.
Captain Billy rolls 2d6 and scores a total of 9, then he makes Trade Adjustments. He gets +1 for trading Manufacturing cargo at a Farming world, and a variable for trading at a non-faction planet. He rolls 1d6 and scores a 5, giving an extra +1 modifier. The final result is an 11. Looking on the Trading Table Billy sees that he can get 40 Wealth per Unit of Cargo. He now rolls for Market Fluctuations and luckily there aren’t any.

The system included "Wealth Points" which were basically a type of Increasing/Decreasing REP that you kept track of to see how wealthy you were, what resources you had access to, etc.

Wealth Level Wealth Points Financial Condition Cash Dice on Hand Type of Item or Services What You Drive Where You Live
1 0 (I)Impoverished or in debt - 2d6 Free Motorcycle Apartment or Tenement
2 50 (S)Struggling -1d6 Cheap Car Simple Home or Apartment
3 100 (M)Middle Class +0d6 Average Aircraft Apartment or Nice Home
4 500 (A)Affluent +1d6 High Quality Shuttle Luxury Home or Upscale Apartment
5 1000 (W)Wealthy +2d6 Expensive Freighter Penthouse Apartment or Mansion
6 5000 (R)Rich +3d6 Very Expensive Starliner Luxury Estate or Private Building
7 10000 (V)Very Rich +4d6 Extremely Expensive Starbase Private Starbase

Example 1(Abstract WP use): Captain Billy Pink has accumulated 600Wealth Points and is considered Affluent. He wants to buy a Freighter (a “Wealthy” asset) and makes a Wheeling and Dealing roll against his Cash Skill (3), applying his Trader skill (+1 Rep), but -1 for trying to get an item one level above his current WP. He rolls a “3” and a “4” and can only get the Freighter if he lowers his WP from Affluent to Middle Class. He decides to take the hit and get the Freighter.

Example 2 (Tracking specific WP): Captain Billy Pink has accumulated 600 Wealth Points and is considered Affluent. He wants to buy a Freighter but needs another 400 Wealth Points. He can’t go to a bank given his colorful past so he goes to Gratz the loan shark. Captain Pink makes a Wheeling and Dealing roll against his Cash Skill (3d6), applying his Smooth Attribute (+1d6), while the loan shark rolls 4d6 (the loan is an Affluent Wealth Point level). Billy scores3,3,4,2 for three successes while Gratz scores 2, 6, 2, 4 for two successes. Billy convinces Gratz to front him the cash and now has 110WP, enough to buy his Freighter with 100WP to spare. Now he’d better hope he can pay it back!

But at the time the book was already pushing the limits of new stuff you could reasonably introduce -- but there's the core of a 5150 book on traders and merchants here if anyone wants to collaborate on it.

Cheers!

See, that's what I've been looking for! The Mining and Resource Extraction really gets my mouth watering but everything you wrote looks amazing. I'm in awe of this list of economic options! Well, time to see what I can do with this idea...
Mehman
Rep 4
Rep 4

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi