5150 Compendium

5150 Star Army, Star Navy, Fighter Command, New Beginnings and even CR3 if you're playing it as a Sci-Fi set.

Re: 5150 Compendium

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Be careful what you wish for. There are games I no longer play because of changes in the background. Reaper's Warlord is one where the Sisters of the Blade started as a band of female mercenaries who came together because it was difficult to find employment in male dominated companies. By the 2nd edition of the game, they had become zealous nuns whose heavy cavalry rode giant sables (weasels). Bleah!

My own view of New Hope and New Hope City are greatly affected by my having lived most of my life in West Texas & Eastern New Mexico. For instance, I now live in Dallas & here in Dallas, DFW airport is a good 30 miles from the city. Yet, in a short story where I placed New Hope City's star port 30 miles from downtown, I received several comments about the star port should be closer to the city, because those readers lived in cities where the airport was on the edge of town or in the city limits.

I find it sometimes difficult to write about New Hope in a way that has detail, yet is open ended enough for the reader/gamer to create his/her own New Hope. Though it is a small place & a very small cog in the Galaxy, New Hope is a complex place. Lots of unanswered questions that can take the storyline of a player's game in many different directions.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby THW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 am

Thanks, that's a start and more is better. Keep it coming.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby MirabelleBenou » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Crinklechips wrote:
THW wrote:So can anyone be more specific, maybe an outline?

Well, This is straight off the top of my head but here goes...

* Different races - Description/History/Relationship with others.
* Planets/homeworld - Descriptions/Geography/Places of note/Events.
* Separate chapter on New Hope/New Hope City - Full description of the city it's history and its various districts/Politics/Gangs/Law and order.
* Space travel/Ships/Trade/Piracy.
* Including - Time lines/Star maps/City maps/Illustrations.

That's really that sort of things I have on my mind.

Background details, history (how did the war between Hishen & GP started, first encounter between Alien races, ...), Point of interest in any rings or planet, etc... It add a lot of depth to the universe, and so, to the games.
MirabelleBenou
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby EasyEight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 pm

MirabelleBenou wrote:
Crinklechips wrote:
THW wrote:So can anyone be more specific, maybe an outline?

Well, This is straight off the top of my head but here goes...

* Different races - Description/History/Relationship with others.
* Planets/homeworld - Descriptions/Geography/Places of note/Events.
* Separate chapter on New Hope/New Hope City - Full description of the city it's history and its various districts/Politics/Gangs/Law and order.
* Space travel/Ships/Trade/Piracy.
* Including - Time lines/Star maps/City maps/Illustrations.

That's really that sort of things I have on my mind.

Background details, history (how did the war between Hishen & GP started, first encounter between Alien races, ...), Point of interest in any rings or planet, etc... It add a lot of depth to the universe, and so, to the games.

Not to mention that interesting point in the 5150 'verse, Earth is *not* the core world of Gaea Prime, and in the 5150 First Contact book, Earth thought it was alone until about 2153 when GP forces intervened on behalf of Mars during the uprisings by the Martian colonial "Sahadeen" separatist movement.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby THW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 pm

EasyEight wrote:
Not to mention that interesting point in the 5150 'verse, Earth is *not* the core world of Gaea Prime, and in the 5150 First Contact book, Earth thought it was alone until about 2153 when GP forces intervened on behalf of Mars during the uprisings by the Martian colonial "Sahadeen" separatist movement.

Shhhh. Don't say it too loudly as much of my sales come from Earth...but that's another story.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby THW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Atomic Floozy wrote:Be careful what you wish for. There are games I no longer play because of changes in the background. Reaper's Warlord is one where the Sisters of the Blade started as a band of female mercenaries who came together because it was difficult to find employment in male dominated companies. By the 2nd edition of the game, they had become zealous nuns whose heavy cavalry rode giant sables (weasels). Bleah!

My own view of New Hope and New Hope City are greatly affected by my having lived most of my life in West Texas & Eastern New Mexico. For instance, I now live in Dallas & here in Dallas, DFW airport is a good 30 miles from the city. Yet, in a short story where I placed New Hope City's star port 30 miles from downtown, I received several comments about the star port should be closer to the city, because those readers lived in cities where the airport was on the edge of town or in the city limits.

I find it sometimes difficult to write about New Hope in a way that has detail, yet is open ended enough for the reader/gamer to create his/her own New Hope. Though it is a small place & a very small cog in the Galaxy, New Hope is a complex place. Lots of unanswered questions that can take the storyline of a player's game in many different directions.

Yep, so true.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby EasyEight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 pm

THW wrote:
Atomic Floozy wrote:Be careful what you wish for. There are games I no longer play because of changes in the background. Reaper's Warlord is one where the Sisters of the Blade started as a band of female mercenaries who came together because it was difficult to find employment in male dominated companies. By the 2nd edition of the game, they had become zealous nuns whose heavy cavalry rode giant sables (weasels). Bleah!

Yep, so true.

Good points -- so the trick is to create a more detailed background, enough to help players better understand the 5150 'verse and the like, while still being open enough to adding whatever people want to. One of my many gamer ADD projects is an expanded system, sector, planet and city generation system. No name to it yet, maybe it could be a fit for this 5150 background and setting tool-kit book.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby THW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:14 pm

This thread is really good for maps.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2814
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby chadmann70 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 am

Honestly one of the most detailed "universes" I have seen, outside of those with movies and TV shows attached, is the Star*Drive campaign for the old Alternity RPG. If a book could be 1/4 as detailed as the core book for that it would provide an amazing amount of content. I am considering using it for SM and FS campaigns as the setting.
chadmann70
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby tonicnh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:44 pm

There's going tl be a vehicles book coming out soon with a campaign or two inside.

...not just vehicles but with extras too...

Ta Ed you're a Star!
tonicnh
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi