Nuts! 4thE order of attack resolution

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Nuts! 4thE order of attack resolution

Postby junkbarbarian » Tue May 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I know I saw this in the rules but now I'm pulling my hair out trying to find it.

The section on shooting has a model roll all its dice (2 for a semi auto rifle in my example) simultaneously placing the highest on the first target (and so on). It seems to imply that I resolve them simultaneously but I can’t find where it says one way or the other. At first I thought it would not matter because a miss will only be followed by a miss, but then this happened:

One of my GIs (armed with a semi auto rifle) encounters two Germans (one with an assault rifle and one with a bolt action rifle) and wins the in site test. I declare that my fist shot will be against the scary STG44, and the second will be against the guy with the bolt action.

They are both misses (the Germans were stationary in a building).

So which of these things happens?

A. The first shot misses the guy with the STG44, and he immediately returns fire. Best case scenario he misses, but he still outguns the GI (3 vs 2) and will cause a duck back. With a status of ducked back (or worse) he doesn’t get his second shot.

B. I resolve both shots, and the second guy (missed but outgunned by the semi auto) ducks back. Then the guy with the STG44 returns fire.

In most cases it would not matter as a miss will only be followed by another miss, but in this case it determines if the second German is ducked back or not.

Short version: Does return fire interrupt subsequent attacks from the same model, or does the model resolve all it's attacks before return fire is resolved.
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Nuts! 4thE order of attack resolution

Postby J Gregory » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am

junkbarbarian wrote:B. I resolve both shots, and the second guy (missed but outgunned by the semi auto) ducks back. Then the guy with the STG44 returns fire.

This. Your GI won the In Sight so he gets to act first, and his action consists of two shots because he has a semi auto. (Technically the Duck Back and the Return Fire happen simultaneously)

Shoulda put both shots into the SG44: the rifleman isn't targeted, so he won't Return Fire, and if you take out the SG44 the other guy takes a Man Down test at half strength... :twisted: (which, when you think about it, is probably what you'd do in reality, ie. focus on the bigger threat)

(As a personal aside, I don't play it that the M1 Garand outguns a single-shot bolt action rifle in my games - it makes it unrealistically easy for a single GI to drive off (outgun) a pair of Grenadiers, IMO. It gets enough of an advantage as it it with that extra shot...)
J Gregory
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Nuts! 4thE order of attack resolution

Postby junkbarbarian » Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks for the clarification. And that's a good point about the advantage of the M1 over the bolt action. When I get comfortable enough with the rules to start tweaking them, I may try it that way.
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to NUTS, FNG and More