Wondering

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Wondering

Postby keif149 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:22 am

Might be late or what's in my favorite beverage glass, but any reason why Nut's/FNG couldn't be played with squads with 40 or 50 meter hexes?

Thought about playing it in the Squads Battles-Steel Panthers-or ASL Vassal editor mode. I know, being lazy.

Many thanks in advance...................
keif149
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Wondering

Postby THW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 pm

That's what's good about the systems, distance shouldn't make a difference unless you want to reduce ranges, but no reason to do that I believe.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby stryderg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Instead of each man having a REP, give each squad a REP. Range on a typical rifle is around 400 meters (very broadly), so 8 x 50 meter hexes.
If I'm advancing across that 400 meters towards your position, how many times would you be able to shoot at me? A lot of that time, I'm going to be sprinting from cover to cover, going prone, etc. So maybe 8 to 10 times?
Given that, movement should be 1 hex.

Easy. Now go play a few games and see if it looks right. If not, adjust the numbers. Then write up some battle reports so we'll have something to read! :)
Diplomacy is the weapon of the civilized warrior.
-- A. T. Hun (Robert Aspirin)
stryderg
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby keif149 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Wondering if the scale of the printed buildings on the map forces issues with like movement of 1" = 1hex and if that opens a door to time/scale, or just play it as is.
Ignore the size of the hex and if a building is in a hex, the squad is assumed to be "in" the building.
keif149
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Not sure about hexes as NUTS doesn't use hexes. But the buildings are pretty easy to enter an exit.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby keif149 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:41 pm

I've built THW versions with RP Maptool before. Now was hoping for less building and more playing.
Using minis and table tops isn't really practical for me anymore.

Love the THW rules though and would hate to leave them.

Typical ASL, SB, SP type map attached................

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 474 times
keif149
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby EasyEight » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Nice map! That looks perfect for NUTS Big Battles. Those rules use squad markers as the basic maneuver unit for company scale games. But it looks too big for NUTS squad level games, in which the basic maneuver unit is a single person or vehicle. Is there a way to re-scale the maps? Maybe dial the scale in by a factor of x5 or x10? That means a single building should be 5-10 hexes per side, etc. That would be more skirmish scale. If mimicking a table top, many NUTS games would be 48" by 72" in size, or in 15mm a 36" by 36" table top.

Say Ed, there's also that abstract NUTS combat system using the Battleboard concept, yes? In that concept you can use whatever scale map you want for movement and in sight, etc., but then resolve the action on a 12"x12" battleboard to resolve shooting, melee, etc.
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby keif149 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:36 pm

Lol, thanks, it's one of my custom maps for Squad Battles (there isn't a map editor, it's all done with coding)

But, like I mentioned, I'm getting older and less time to build things. I was hoping to "cheat" by just using the scenario editors in SBs or Steel Panthers or the Advanced Squad Leader Vassal module. Mainly for using their built in LOS tools.

I'm sort of a "ghost" in all 3 worlds, pc games just do not have a competent AI and forces you to seek pbem opponents. I find that even tiresome these days and the THW PEF/AI system is quite brilliant.

I've sold off my mini stuff and don't have a proper game room to leave a table top set up, which is the reason board games aren't an option.

I thought a pc based environment where I could jump in, play for 15 minutes and come back whenever.

Yeah, individual soldiers are my favorite and in my RP Map tool forays, I could scale the building correctly.

Hmm, a pc based THW war game if only suitable for solo playing that included a map editor, would be be a "hot" seller.
keif149
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby davidlhsl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 am

All Things Zombie: Hospital 911 was the rulebook that made me realize I could play THW with counters on a mapboard instead of using miniatures, so I definitely believe you can play NUTS! using your mapboards. For inspiration, go you YouTube and search for "NUTS Wargame Tutorial" by TheWargamingAddict, as he demonstrates an earlier version of NUTS using a virtual mapboard, albeit using squares instead of hexes. I've even played out some encounters by sketching my map on regular notebook paper and just fudging movement distances rather than attempting actual measurements.

Normal movement is 8", so it's pretty easy to scale your maps on 3 levels: 1:1, 1:2, and 1:4 based on the map you're using. Starting with hexes:
1:1 = moving from hex to hex uses 1" of movement, so you can move 8 hexes in open terrain using normal movement
1:2 = moving from hex to hex uses 2" of movement, so you can move 4 hexes in open terrain using normal movement
1:4 = (I used this scale on a Combat Commander map once) moving from hex to hex uses 4" of movement, so you can move 2 hexes in open terrain using movement.

With difficult terrain such as buildings and woods, you can double the movement costs. Consistent with the way a lot of board wargame rules work, units can always move 1 hex, regardless of cost (except when considering impossible terrain such as crossing cliffs, etc.). Movement factors outside the 4" increments, such as the slower 6" movement of zombies in ATZ, mean I'll only move them one hex. I once tried this by allowing movement where the counter straddles 2 hexes to indicate the extra movement.

When playing at 1:2 and 1:4, I allow stacking so that multiple figures can occupy the same hex. At 1:2, I typically limit to 2 figures. At 1:4, I will use only one counter or marker to represent the entire group, and I'll list the members of the group on a separate index card or roster sheet to track each person's status. I've had several games that I've played on an Excel spreadsheet where I have one tab gridded as my map, and my roster listed on another tab (or even on the same worksheet below the map).

Square grids also work, as I prefer this method with urban environments. Orthogonal movement is treated as mentioned with hexes, but I use 1.5", 3", and 6" for diagonal movement at 1:1, 1:2, and 1:4 respectively.

You'll have to play around with this yourself to come up with something you find intuitive, but it can be done.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby keif149 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for the input guys. Some great ideas for sure.
Forgot to mention Combat Mission that has scaled buildings, a LOS tool in the editor, but no Pacific Theater.

I would tend to think 1 hex = 1inch and when a building is encountered, the soldier or soldiers would either be in or out of the building. Basic 1s and 0s logic.
keif149
Rep 3
Rep 3

Next

Return to NUTS, FNG and More