Playtesters needed for NUTS! Compendium

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Re: Playtesters needed for NUTS! Compendium

Postby EasyEight » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Ok-dokey, the playest is back on, finished updating the layout. If you would like to help review this amazing book of NUTS! Compendium awesomeness, please PM me here, I'd love your input. Thanks!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby TeknoMerk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Will the compendium cover support weapon topics like mortars, artillery, air, naval and calling in fire support to cover the Europe and Pacific theaters? I realize most of those are typically beyond the normal squad support, but it would be fun to have for larger battles.
<> TeknoMerk <>

Creator of Savage Apocalypse
Savagepedia contributor
TeknoMerk
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby EasyEight » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 pm

TeknoMerk wrote:Will the compendium cover support weapon topics like mortars, artillery, air, naval and calling in fire support to cover the Europe and Pacific theaters? I realize most of those are typically beyond the normal squad support, but it would be fun to have for larger battles.

Hi,
Yes, yes, yes, no (not naval) and yes. There are different ways of calling on support, typically your unit would have access to mortar support, sometimes arty. Rarely air support, and I can only recall a few instances in the PTO where USMC FOs coordinated with destroyers providing support during some of the battles in the Solomons -- really hard to coordinate that, that should be built into a scenario.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Atomic Floozy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:38 am

Will the compendium have the rules for female militia or female members of partisan forces?
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby EasyEight » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am

Atomic Floozy wrote:Will the compendium have the rules for female militia or female members of partisan forces?

Yes, and I'd love to get your input! Right now the rules are pretty light touch. PM me, be happy to send them to you for your comments.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Atomic Floozy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:27 am

I'm no expert on female fighters in WWII, that's why I asked. I really like and agree with the Women In Combat section found in Clash of Titans. The only thing really consistent for women across all fronts was the reluctance to engage in melee combat. As if they had watched lots of American Westerns, Spanish Militiawomen often saved the last bullet for themselves rather than taking a chance of being captured as a result of melee.

While British & Americans felt women couldn't fight because of maternal instincts, the Soviets found that women made excellent snipers because they were thought to have "more patience" to make the perfect shot. They also thought women could endure stress & cold better.

As another example of women soldiers avoiding melee, the Soviet female sniper team of Mariya Plivanova & Natalya Kovshova were killed in action together. Wounded and out of ammo, they waited until Germans approached their trench & then detonated grenades.
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby EasyEight » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:40 am

Atomic Floozy wrote:I'm no expert on female fighters in WWII, that's why I asked. I really like and agree with the Women In Combat section found in Clash of Titans. The only thing really consistent for women across all fronts was the reluctance to engage in melee combat. As if they had watched lots of American Westerns, Spanish Militiawomen often saved the last bullet for themselves rather than taking a chance of being captured as a result of melee.

While British & Americans felt women couldn't fight because of maternal instincts, the Soviets found that women made excellent snipers because they were thought to have "more patience" to make the perfect shot. They also thought women could endure stress & cold better.

As another example of women soldiers avoiding melee, the Soviet female sniper team of Mariya Plivanova & Natalya Kovshova were killed in action together. Wounded and out of ammo, they waited until Germans approached their trench & then detonated grenades.

OK. At present the Compendium really just taps the way Clash of Titans handles it, I figure if you want to build a female sniper character you could give that character the right Attributes. The Soviets probably had the most widespread use of women in combat, but as in any war women often found themselves fighting for their lives. Here's what it says right now:

WOMEN IN COMBAT
While women served their country in support roles as nurses and administrative aids, many women also fought for their country as Partisans and Militia – such as the female “Huk” warriors of the Phillipines, and as Partisans and Underground fighters across Europe. The Soviets also incorporated women into the Red Army in combat roles as pilots, vehicle and tank drivers, gun crew, traffic police, guards and snipers.

In general, women in combat will suffer some combat penalties:
• -1 REP in Melee Combat
• -1 REP when firing any Heavy Weapon or Crewed Weapon that requires strong handling (e.g., MMG, HMG, Mortar, a towed AT Gun, but not stationary AA Gun, for example)

Also, for many reasons male soldiers would tend to be protective of their female counterparts and female soldiers. When in the presence of male soldiers, a female soldier will temporarily have the “Lucky” Attribute (NUTS page, 7) in addition to any other rolled or assigned Attribute.

Comments??
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Atomic Floozy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 am

I really like the -1 REP in melee for women.

The only question I have about the -1 REP when firing a heavy weapon is with the towed artillery, such as a towed AT gun. I understand that female crew members would have difficulty in "man-handling" guns into place. When the rule says that they can man a stationary gun without the -1 REP penalty, does that mean they can crew an otherwise towed gun without the. -1 REP penalty if it is stationary in a gun emplacement or trench?

I know this is a hypothetical question since Spanish militias loathed the idea of digging trenches.
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby EasyEight » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:25 am

Atomic Floozy wrote:I really like the -1 REP in melee for women.

The only question I have about the -1 REP when firing a heavy weapon is with the towed artillery, such as a towed AT gun. I understand that female crew members would have difficulty in "man-handling" guns into place. When the rule says that they can man a stationary gun without the -1 REP penalty, does that mean they can crew an otherwise towed gun without the. -1 REP penalty if it is stationary in a gun emplacement or trench?

I know this is a hypothetical question since Spanish militias loathed the idea of digging trenches.

No, it would apply to any towed gun. My reasoning is that a towed gun, even in a "stationary" emplacement has only a limited arc of fire, and the crew must lift up the trail and re-orient the gun while reloading 20 pound shells. Similar with a heavy MG.

In contrast, an AA gun would tend to be more stabilized and use either hand cranks or powered action to aim, requiring less strength.

That's the simple way of doing it, but it could be modified to be that the REP penalty only applies any turn the gun is moved, that would be less harsh. Once an AT gun or MG is in place and there's targets in arc, the gun crew don't have to move the weapon very much.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Atomic Floozy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 am

I think the simple way of doing it is better. I just thought I'd ask about towed guns in stationary emplacements. I think I've only seen one bit of newsreel footage where women manned a small AT gun & that may have been staged for the camera. I have seen newsreel footage where women did crew AA guns in both England & the Soviet Union. Odd, the English crew was all female except for the gunner. The British did not feel women should pull the "trigger".
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

PreviousNext

Return to NUTS, FNG and More