Leader die always applies?

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Leader die always applies?

Postby tofof » Sat May 07, 2016 11:22 pm

As far as I can tell, the leader die always applies to every group when making an applicable test, because of the way temporary group leaders work and the "assuming command" rules.

Does this apply even to solitary figures operating alone? What if the figure is (or is not) an NCO/Officer?

These questions came up when, for example, the NCO leading a half-squad of Germans was hit and obviously dead, triggering a Man Down test. Players in our group were divided with several voicing the idea that the 'leader' had just died, so clearly there would not be leader dice.
User avatar
tofof
Rep 3
Rep 3
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:51 am

Re: Leader die always applies?

Postby THW » Sun May 08, 2016 3:33 pm

tofof wrote:As far as I can tell, the leader die always applies to every group when making an applicable test, because of the way temporary group leaders work and the "assuming command" rules.

Does this apply even to solitary figures operating alone? What if the figure is (or is not) an NCO/Officer?

These questions came up when, for example, the NCO leading a half-squad of Germans was hit and obviously dead, triggering a Man Down test. Players in our group were divided with several voicing the idea that the 'leader' had just died, so clearly there would not be leader dice.



Leader die only applies if the Leader is in Carry On status and is involved in the test. So if he's Duck Back OOF or OD there's no leader dice.
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4423
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: Leader die always applies?

Postby Bill Owen » Thu May 12, 2016 1:41 am

Then the rules need to be clarified.

Page 15
USING LEADER DIE When the Leader is part of a group... (continuing on page 16) Whenever a half-squad loses the Leader or if the group becomes separated from the squad, the soldier with the highest Rep will assume command. He functions as a Temporary Group Leader.

CONTRADICTION: the rules say *when* the leader is part of a group as if occasionally a group could ever be leaderless and yet a Temporary Group Leader always appears instantly (no delay) when a group would otherwise be leaderless. When can a group be leaderless if a *replacement always appears instantly*?
User avatar
Bill Owen
Rep 4
Rep 4
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Soca, Uruguay

Re: Leader die always applies?

Postby THW » Thu May 12, 2016 3:26 am

Bill Owen wrote:Then the rules need to be clarified.

Page 15
USING LEADER DIE When the Leader is part of a group... (continuing on page 16) Whenever a half-squad loses the Leader or if the group becomes separated from the squad, the soldier with the highest Rep will assume command. He functions as a Temporary Group Leader.

CONTRADICTION: the rules say *when* the leader is part of a group as if occasionally a group could ever be leaderless and yet a Temporary Group Leader always appears instantly (no delay) when a group would otherwise be leaderless. When can a group be leaderless if a *replacement always appears instantly*?


The Leader is the guy in command of the whole side - usually a Star. The Temporary Leader is a Grunt.
Actually it's a contradiction in interpretation.
That's the beauty of the internet, instant answers.
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4423
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: Leader die always applies?

Postby THW » Thu May 12, 2016 11:59 am

Also I forgot, that the Temporary leader does not have a Leader Die.
User avatar
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
 
Posts: 4423
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am
Location: New Braunfels TX

Re: Leader die always applies?

Postby Bill Owen » Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm

THW wrote:Also I forgot, that the Temporary leader does not have a Leader Die.


Thanks for that clarification. I updated my charts to reflect no leader die for Temporary Leaders in Crisis or Recover Tests at:

http://www.g-design.us/nuts/
User avatar
Bill Owen
Rep 4
Rep 4
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Soca, Uruguay


Return to WWI, WWII & Moderns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests