NUTS platoon generator script

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

NUTS platoon generator script

Postby wjburn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:30 am

Hi all,

I decided to write a platoon generator for NUTS. I liked the one on the website, but I wanted to add a few more features for my own use. A few days later and I am ready to post a functional piece of code. There is still a lot more I want to do, but it's a start. I created a windows executable, squad_geneator.exe or you can run the straight python code with the directions in the readme file.

You will be asked where to store the files, you will need to create a directory manually (e.g. C:\thw_nuts_platoons) . The script only writes files, it does not create directories. So if the directory does not exist, the script will throw an error and exit. Also, if you try to write the same platoon type to the same directory twice, the script will throw an error that the file already exists. I did this on purpose to keep users from overwriting their own platoon files.

The script generates two files, a YAML file (which can be ignored for now) and an HTML file, which can be printed.

The attributes selection uses NUTS 4th edition and NUTS Compendium attributes.

Also bear in mind this code is less than a week old, so if you find a bug just let me know.

You can find the code here:
https://github.com/wjburn/thwnutsplatoongen

on the right hand side click the clone or download green button and choose zip file. Make sure you extract the zip file as there is a yaml_maps/ directory the script needs to run properly.

You can enter in arguments on the command line (see readme) or just run the script/executable and you will be prompted with menu options.

One of the feature list items is to make the YAML key/value pairs dynamic to allow for use with different rule sets. However, there are more features I want to add first. I left a TODO in the readme if you are curious about my short list of features. Feel free to fork/clone the code and write your own features. :)

Also if anyone wants an OSX executable I can do that, just let me know.

Cheers,

Will
wjburn
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: NUTS platoon generator script

Postby EasyEight » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 am

Super cool, can't wait to try it out!!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Return to NUTS, FNG and More