Victory Game "Ambush"

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Victory Game "Ambush"

Postby General May Hem » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Anyone remember a reference to the old war game "Ambush" by Victory Games in the forum? Some reference about it being compatible with THW or the other way around? Or some other discussion about the two?
Appreciate any help as my old memory "it ain't what it use to be many long years ago"!
Thanks
General May Hem
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Victory Game "Ambush"

Postby Tekawiz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:40 am

I think it was in reference to Nuts! Although the feel between both games are similar, their game mechanics a completely different.

You could use some of the components from Ambush! to play Nuts!. You could also use the Ambush! maps but would have to convert the distances.

If you know the general premise of the Ambush! scenarios you could set up your Nuts! tabletop to mimmick the Ambush! map and play it out using Nuts!. I did this with the first Ambush! scenario. You'll get a good game but it won't follow the Ambush narrative.

If you can decipher some of the Ambush! random events, you could implement them into the random events table for Nuts! One of them is "a famous general visits your men on the battlefield." It's kind of nonsense, but you can create your own narrative behind it.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby General May Hem » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
General May Hem
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby junkbarbarian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

I remember that too. Like Tekawiz says, I think it was just a reference to the two games having some similarity in tone more so that direct compatibility. I think I remember a caption of a photo on board game geek mentioning it too. In the NUTS Final Version section if memory serves.

Ambush was a great game. I lost mine years ago sadly. A scenario book for NUTS converting some of the scenarios would be fun. I would think NUTS attracts a lot of old Ambush players.
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Tekawiz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Some of those photos you see on BGG are mine. In one of the photos you'll see my table layed out for the first Mission of Ambush!

Since I've been playing Nuts!, I find it a much better game than Ambush! The main reason is that I can come up with my own scenarios and campaigns, you can't do that in Ambush! Secondly, I like adding flavor to Nuts! based upon what I see in war movies and from the TV show Combat! With Ambush! you're locked into the game system.

I tried to decipher the Ambush! missions by reading through the paragraphs. It's hard to do since the plot points are scattered. However you can still get the general idea of the mission. If you want to play Ambush type of scenarios, the supplement "Italy After Normandy" has several of those type of scenarios.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 am

I can't comment one way or the other as I never played Ambush. Heard it was pretty good.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to WWI, WWII & Moderns