New to NUTS!

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

New to NUTS!

Postby DiceHex » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 am

Hi all,

Several years ago, I was running a casual gaming club, and tried to expand some horizons (so to speak) for our local player base. I was hoping to get others to try "other" games than the ones they were already heavily invested in (those of the big commercial heavyweights). I bought a few "alternate gaming systems" to try to get people interested, and sadly didn't have much success in breaking others out into new gaming territory.

Recently, going through some boxes in a new house in a new town, I discovered Final Fade Out and NUTS! (Europe 1944, 2009) relatively unused.
I dug out some zombie models and found some survivor models, and have been having an absolute blast with FFO. Great fun co-op game. I built some modern terrain, and it is nearing completion. Loving it.

Now, I have a week or so before next zed-hunt, and I'm looking at NUTS! with fresh eyes. I dug out a pile of spare 15mm US airborne, and German Grenadiers, and started gluing them to 15mm washers. I have a lot of German vehicles, and a friend has a lot of allied vehicles. Seems like we are all set for the invasion of France, moving on to Market Garden over time.

When looking at the US Airborne force, is see that I may not have enough figures to form the 2-3 squads of up to 12 models each.
Is the game balanced towards having a couple of dozen figures? If I am to get by with just 12, will the PEFs and tables be too strong for casual co-op play? I have plenty of spare Germans, but perhaps not enough Airborne.

The allied force:
-SMG star (NCO?)
-Jr NCO with radio and side arm (just looks a bit different and important, could be player 2 star)
-30 cal and friend (rifle)
-BAR and friend (rifle)
-60mm mortar and carbine friend
-2 riflemen
-Bazooka and friend (rifle)

Pretty sure I have a 75mm sherman somewhere too, yet to be found.

Looks like there is enough there to divide in half (two sections, ish) and play co-op happily.
If it turns out the Germans are a bit too strong, what would you suggest to soften them up? In FFO, the game self-generates zombies from gunfire and searching buildings, and we've found that when we are getting in a pickle, we put away the big guns and start trying to be sneaky with combat weapons (or just run for dear life). Will that sort of thing work in NUTS, or should I be thinking about an enemy REP penalty or something? Suggestions welcome.

Hope it is cool to just post queries here as we go along.

Cheers and happy gaming.
DiceHex
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: New to NUTS!

Postby paulnutsplayer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 am

Welcome DiceHex,

You have US Airborne. Just consider it is D-Day, your stick got spread out last night and you only have 4 soldiers on the table at the moment and you have a mission to journey 4 table lengths (described below).

NUTS 2nd Edition page 62 has what is called Possible Enemy Force (PEF). PEFs represent the possible location of enemy forces. They start off as tokens. There may be several on the table at the same time. Once they are in Line of Sight (LOS) of your troops, the PEF is revealed to be nothing or an actual enemy trooper that you put on the table.

I would suggest making your own Reinforcement table (page 68). Something like:
American Reinforcement
1 = 1 trooper
2 = 1 trooper with satchel bomb
3 = 1 trooper with bag of bazooka rounds
4 = 1 mortar man and crewmate
5 = 2 troopers
6 = 1 Lt. & 1 Medic

German PEF that resolves to:
German Reinforcement
1 = 1 trooper
2 = 1 trooper with SMG
3 = 2 trooper
4 = 3 trooper
5 = 1 LMG and crew
6 = small vehicle with small gun

Every time you get '7' on activation you get a roll on your reinforcements and that part of your stick finds you. Every time one of your guys gets killed, recycle that figure into the reinforcements.

You should be able to find rules for mortars on this site.

Play it that your troops must go through 4 tables to end their mission. Put down the table terrain. Then start those 4 soldiers at one end o the table. Move them across, rolling up PEFs when appropriate. When you get to the end of the table, clear the table off, put new terrain on it and enter the troopers. Eventually you'll have small scale battles and build your squad up.

- John Paul
paulnutsplayer
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby DiceHex » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:36 am

Great idea on toning down the reinforcement tables! Thanks.
I was concerned that a half platoon of Germans and a tank may show up with some regularity, via PEF or Reserves, and make play extremely difficult.

Is the game generally played with two or three squads?
I might have to invest in some more toys. 8-)
DiceHex
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 am

DiceHex wrote:Great idea on toning down the reinforcement tables! Thanks.
I was concerned that a half platoon of Germans and a tank may show up with some regularity, via PEF or Reserves, and make play extremely difficult.

Is the game generally played with two or three squads?
I might have to invest in some more toys. 8-)

Yep, tone the reinforcements down to what you want to play with/have.
I usually play with one sqaud.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby paulnutsplayer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:12 am

DiceHex wrote:Looks like there is enough there to divide in half (two sections, ish) and play co-op happily.
If it turns out the Germans are a bit too strong, what would you suggest to soften them up? In FFO, the game self-generates zombies from gunfire and searching buildings, and we've found that when we are getting in a pickle, we put away the big guns and start trying to be sneaky with combat weapons (or just run for dear life). Will that sort of thing work in NUTS, or should I be thinking about an enemy REP penalty or something? Suggestions welcome.

You could start the Germans out at as recruits or low moral foreign troopers. Give most of them Rep 3 with a few Rep 4s in there. Give most of your Paratroopers Rep 5 with a few Rep 4s in there.

Thankfully, you don't need to worry about gunshots bringing in hordes of zombie Nazi's to you. NUTS doesn't use those game mechanics.

If you feel squished by the Germans, just back up your troops and try a flanking movement. Don't put your troops out in the open. Its a good way to always be reacting to gunfire rather than advancing. Also, you're probably going to have to leave your Out of Fight figures behind. You are deep in enemy territory and you have to keep advancing.
paulnutsplayer
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby DiceHex » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks for the replies guys, good stuff.

Update:
I've almost finished assembling and painting my US troopers, and I found 5 rifle guys hiding in among my German spares. Squinting at 15mm models is how we identify them, and sometimes we need to squint harder. ;)
...so... as it turns out the model I thought was a mortar, was carrying the tripod for the .30cal, so I don't have a mortar anymore, but I do have a good looking LMG team. I found the Easy Mortar Rules pdf, just before realizing I don't actually have one.
http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3128

Is it okay to post a couple of pictures here, or is there another part of the forum for that sort of hobby/miniatures stuff?

Also, I've run a couple of gaming tests on the NUTS mechanics, and... I have a creative idea for Strategic Points and Reserves, reminiscent of RTS video games. When tested, would you be happy to give comment and critique? I'll post the idea when I've written a "something". I'm guessing homebrew rules are more encouraged than not, thanks to the open attitude of THW et al. Of course no extra complication is needed, but could be fun, might be good, so will let you know how it goes.

Happy gaming.
DiceHex
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby paulnutsplayer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Dice Hex,

Post Away. We enjoy hearing from members.
paulnutsplayer
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to WWI, WWII & Moderns