Any adjustments for 10mm minis in use with Nuts!

Anything from WWII through to Modern warfare. NUTS! and Supplements, Fire in Korea, FNG, CR3 and the like.

Any adjustments for 10mm minis in use with Nuts!

Postby Char B1 bis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Title says it all really. Looking to play larger battles (at least platoon size but not based and don't care for BBNUTS! abstractions.

So, can I play these straight up in Nuts!? And, should the battlefield shrink?

Thanks,

Pat
Char B1 bis
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Any adjustments for 10mm minis in use with Nuts!

Postby THW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am

I wouldn't shrink it. 3x3 is a good size but you caan play on bigger or smaller. Just a matter of preference. i know folks playing 6mm with the same ranges and movement.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby SquidLord » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:27 am

I find 3'x3' to be just fine for pretty much anything I want to run, but I'm a little persnickety about my scale-measuring.

Essentially, use a multiple of the individual figure scale for in-game scale inches. Figures are 28mm? One inch equals (roughly) one inch, 28mm. Playing in 15mm? One game-inch equals 15mm, or about half an inch--1.5cm. Playing 10mm? One game-inch is a centimeter (and you're going to have room for tonnes of maneuver).

For me, the reason is pretty straightforward. When my figures scale down what I'm really interested in is obviously maneuver, because what I really want to do is see more board. If you don't change the scale of the movement unit you don't really gain any terrain. Movement remains the same scale; it takes no more or less time to travel from one side of the board to the other. If you link movement scale to figure scale, by scaling down the miniatures you're effectively zooming out on the map.

That's a huge win in my book.

(There is one reasonable argument for not scaling movement for a smaller scale miniature, and that is because for whatever reason you find it very difficult to reconcile the size of a miniature intended to represent a 1:1 scale element with the implied speed of a turn in your given game. Because THW rounds are not strictly defined in terms of actual time measurement, it's not a game that I think of exemplifying that particular problem – but it could be an issue for some people. For them, leave the movement scale alone and just use bigger maps. For the rest of us? Scale away.)
SquidLord
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Yep, it's a matter of preference.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Char B1 bis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks Guys,

I think for now I'm just going to play on a 6'X4' table and see how that works out. Then I I'll try the 1" equals 1 cm and see how I like it.

Can you run company size battles on a 6'X4' table in 10mm scale with NUTS? How long does a company sized battle take in Nuts?

Thanks
Pat
Char B1 bis
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Bartman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:33 pm

I play in 15mm and have tried halving all distances and ranges and 1" = 1cm. I found that I like no changes at all to measurements. The changes had no real effect on the game and it is just easier to go with it as written for me.

Bill
Bartman
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to WWI, WWII & Moderns