Passing dice,challenges and stealth questions and confusion

ATZ, horror and Post Apoc

Passing dice,challenges and stealth questions and confusion

Postby Dredloc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi I'm new to this system so if someone could please explain a few things as in-depth as possible with examples it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Please explain 0d6 passing of dice. Does that mean 0d6 is auto passing?
2. In the rules of ATZ FFO it says its not an auto fail but is it an auto pass?
3. Do you not even roll a 0d6 since 0 means no dice.
4. When would you do that?

Challenges?
1. How do you define when to make a challenge?
2. What is allowed and is the a list of allowable things you can do?
3. Do I just make up challenges in my mind? Example I want to avoid 3 zombies in a store. I challenge myself to find a ladder to the roof..it passes. I escape to the roof on the ladder. New challenge jumping off the roof to the ground without getting injured. fail...I get hurt......How far does this go???
4. Should we make up a list of allowable, realistic, behaviors? and if so has someone done it and where is it?

Stealth rules?
1. Is the any rules on losing zombies or hiding from them or would this be an insight rule.
2. Can you hide or play stealthily?

Thanks everyone :?
Dredloc
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Passing dice,challenges and stealth questions and confus

Postby THW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:39 am

Dredloc wrote:Hi I'm new to this system so if someone could please explain a few things as in-depth as possible with examples it would be greatly appreciated.

You got it.

1. Please explain 0d6 passing of dice. Does that mean 0d6 is auto passing? You pass a d6 by scoring the number or lower. Passing d6 means you didn't pass any d6.
2. In the rules of ATZ FFO it says its not an auto fail but is it an auto pass? Where's that at?
3. Do you not even roll a 0d6 since 0 means no dice. No. You roll the d6 necessary, usually 2, and see how many are equal or lower than the target number, usually Rep.
4. When would you do that? Never. if it's asking how many d6 are passed, then you're rolling d6. Here's an example.
Billy Pink (Rep 5) is taking a Reaction Test. I roll 2d6 and score a 6 and 6 - as both are higher than the Rep, he passed 0d6. We don't say failed as we're asking how many did he pass.

Challenges?
1. How do you define when to make a challenge? When you want to do something not covered in the rules. It's up to the players.
2. What is allowed and is the a list of allowable things you can do? Whatever the players agree on.
3. Do I just make up challenges in my mind? Yep and be sure all agree to it. Example I want to avoid 3 zombies in a store. I challenge myself to find a ladder to the roof..it passes. I escape to the roof on the ladder. New challenge jumping off the roof to the ground without getting injured. fail...I get hurt......How far does this go??? As far as you want it to while making sense. In your two examples you have to define what happens if you fail before the test. From a convention game the player wanted to jump down from the second floor of a mall. Succeed and you make it unharmed. Fail and you break a leg ans only move 3" per turn - half the speed of the zombies. He rolled boxcars and failed.
4. Should we make up a list of allowable, realistic, behaviors? Not really. Just do it when the situation comes along. Another convention game a guy got knocked down and was surrounded by zombies. His friends said they wanted to drive by in their van and one guy reach out and grab him, pulling him inside. All agreed it would be difficult (-1) and if he failed he would fall out of the van. They succeeded. and if so has someone done it and where is it?

Stealth rules?
1. Is the any rules on losing zombies or hiding from them or would this be an insight rule. That would be a Challenge test toislip by them if you came up on them from behind and they couldn't see you. if you get tot he In Sight,. it's too late.
2. Can you hide or play stealthily? Sure, use the Challenge test although Stealthy is an Attribute. Hope this helpos,
Ed

Thanks everyone :?
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Dredloc » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:34 am

Super helpful and pretty exciting to have that level of flexibility...but I guess why not. I'm starting out solo that's why I was looking for more structure on what is allowed. As a solo player how do we structure out of the box options. It would be great to hear from experienced players also to see how you guys and gals work with these situations.

Thanks Ed for the great responses and clarifications on my questions.
Dredloc
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:21 am

Challenges are easy to do. If you're playing solo it's easier as you have the final say so.

Look at what you are facing and what you might want to do. Sneaking by someone is a great example.
Think how hard it would be. I figure at night, not hard. Daytime, might be difficult, so that's a -1 to Rep..
What if I fail? Well, they see me, we take an in Sight and I count a -1d6 penalty or if playing a game using the Action Table, they get the Advantage.

As you think of stuff, just post it here. Someone will help.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby davidlhsl » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:54 pm

Welcome to the world of THW and ATZ specifically!

Challenge Tests are the way THW allows you to flesh out your encounters and make them more immersive. If you're playing a standard board game, your options on what you're allowed to do is limited by what the game designers provide.

ATZ, along with many of THW's titles, are designed with a role playing mindset. Role playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons, provide a set of rules as a foundation on what tasks players are capable of doing, but they also encourage players to use their imaginations to consider a wider variety of options. One person, called the game master (or dungeon master), is tasked as a sort of referee to evaluate the difficulty of various tasks, guide players through the specifics of their adventure, handle non-player characters (NPCs), determine whether the things that players want to do are feasible, etc. For example, in a board game, you might be presented with a locked treasure chest, and the game gives you a specific way in which to try to open it. If you think of a different way to try to open it, then you are going outside the rule book. In a role playing game, the game master won't necessarily tell you how to open it, and players will need to decide how they might attempt it and communicate this to the game master. The game master, in turn, decides whether the task is feasible and determines the odds of success.

ATZ is written primarily from the perspective of the solo gamer, so you are actually both the game master and the player. The ATZ rules provide you with several tools for resolving a lot of items that game masters typically keep hidden from players until needed. For example, PEFs (possible enemy forces) is a fantastic tool for concealing what forces you'll encounter. Is that PEF a hoard of zombies? Is it a group of gangers who are looking to defend their turf? Is it a lone survivor searching for food? Maybe it's nothing at all.

But there are other details that the rules deliberately leave to you and your imagination. Challenge Tests allow you to do that. You've already shown that you have some great ideas of the types of challenges you might put into your encounters. As to your question as to whether you need to structure the challenges in advance or as you play, you can do both.

Challenges you define at the start of your encounter are created when you have a firm idea of the mission you want to play. Don't force yourself to create challenges each time. Let the situation dictate their usage. Examples:
* You've been wandering for days and enter a new state after zombies have overrun your previous sanctuary and you're looking for a map. Perhaps the abandoned convenient stations in a suburban area might a good place to find one. Finding a map could be a challenge.
* You want to sneak into a ganger base in the middle of the night and sabotage their weapons cache. Your scouting reports indicates their base is guarded by overconfident people who assume they won't ever encounter any resistance, so security is very lax. You can use challenges when you sneak past the initial patrol, the check point at the entrance of the base, and patrolling guards within the base. You'll take another challenge to use your set of keys obtained from a captured ganger to see if it will permit entry. Finally, you'll take a challenge to determine whether your sabotage efforts were successful.

But you can create challenges during play on-the-fly without having them preplanned. This requires you to improvise as you play and actually imagine yourself in the situation you're simulating. Don't worry about forcing challenges in every situation. Allow the process to come naturally. Here are some examples:
* In the middle of a firefight, the action came to me where I would naturally emerge from duck back status and fire. Instead, I took a challenge where I tried to talk the opponent into surrendering. "I'm not looking for trouble. Drop your weapon, and nobody has to get hurt."
* I was in an office ducked behind a desk shooting at gangers that attacked me. The gunfire was attracting a hoard of zombies outside the locked door. Eventually, the zombies succeeded in breaking through the door and immediately headed towards the gangers (I was ducked out of their line of sight). While the gangers attempted to fend off the approaching zombies, I took a chair and tried to smash it through the window and escape before I attracted the zombies' attention. I took this as a single consolidated challenge instead of taking one challenge for smashing the window and another for escaping in time. This is a great example of not needing to make every single action you take their own challenge. Use challenges like salt -- sparingly to enhance flavor.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:50 pm

With the Challenge rule, if you can think it, you can do it. Even outrageous Challenges can be done. Why? Because you can always roll boxcars and fail. :D
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Dredloc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks David and Ed. Great info.
Dredloc
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Crinklechips » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:24 pm

davidlhsl wrote:Welcome to the world of THW and ATZ specifically!

Challenge Tests are the way THW allows you to flesh out your encounters and make them more immersive. If you're playing a standard board game, your options on what you're allowed to do is limited by what the game designers provide.

ATZ, along with many of THW's titles, are designed with a role playing mindset. Role playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons, provide a set of rules as a foundation on what tasks players are capable of doing, but they also encourage players to use their imaginations to consider a wider variety of options. One person, called the game master (or dungeon master), is tasked as a sort of referee to evaluate the difficulty of various tasks, guide players through the specifics of their adventure, handle non-player characters (NPCs), determine whether the things that players want to do are feasible, etc. For example, in a board game, you might be presented with a locked treasure chest, and the game gives you a specific way in which to try to open it. If you think of a different way to try to open it, then you are going outside the rule book. In a role playing game, the game master won't necessarily tell you how to open it, and players will need to decide how they might attempt it and communicate this to the game master. The game master, in turn, decides whether the task is feasible and determines the odds of success.

ATZ is written primarily from the perspective of the solo gamer, so you are actually both the game master and the player. The ATZ rules provide you with several tools for resolving a lot of items that game masters typically keep hidden from players until needed. For example, PEFs (possible enemy forces) is a fantastic tool for concealing what forces you'll encounter. Is that PEF a hoard of zombies? Is it a group of gangers who are looking to defend their turf? Is it a lone survivor searching for food? Maybe it's nothing at all.

But there are other details that the rules deliberately leave to you and your imagination. Challenge Tests allow you to do that. You've already shown that you have some great ideas of the types of challenges you might put into your encounters. As to your question as to whether you need to structure the challenges in advance or as you play, you can do both.

Challenges you define at the start of your encounter are created when you have a firm idea of the mission you want to play. Don't force yourself to create challenges each time. Let the situation dictate their usage. Examples:
* You've been wandering for days and enter a new state after zombies have overrun your previous sanctuary and you're looking for a map. Perhaps the abandoned convenient stations in a suburban area might a good place to find one. Finding a map could be a challenge.
* You want to sneak into a ganger base in the middle of the night and sabotage their weapons cache. Your scouting reports indicates their base is guarded by overconfident people who assume they won't ever encounter any resistance, so security is very lax. You can use challenges when you sneak past the initial patrol, the check point at the entrance of the base, and patrolling guards within the base. You'll take another challenge to use your set of keys obtained from a captured ganger to see if it will permit entry. Finally, you'll take a challenge to determine whether your sabotage efforts were successful.

But you can create challenges during play on-the-fly without having them preplanned. This requires you to improvise as you play and actually imagine yourself in the situation you're simulating. Don't worry about forcing challenges in every situation. Allow the process to come naturally. Here are some examples:
* In the middle of a firefight, the action came to me where I would naturally emerge from duck back status and fire. Instead, I took a challenge where I tried to talk the opponent into surrendering. "I'm not looking for trouble. Drop your weapon, and nobody has to get hurt."
* I was in an office ducked behind a desk shooting at gangers that attacked me. The gunfire was attracting a hoard of zombies outside the locked door. Eventually, the zombies succeeded in breaking through the door and immediately headed towards the gangers (I was ducked out of their line of sight). While the gangers attempted to fend off the approaching zombies, I took a chair and tried to smash it through the window and escape before I attracted the zombies' attention. I took this as a single consolidated challenge instead of taking one challenge for smashing the window and another for escaping in time. This is a great example of not needing to make every single action you take their own challenge. Use challenges like salt -- sparingly to enhance flavor.

What a fantastic and thoughtful reply. Nice one!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby TXWargamer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:14 am

Great answer David! This is a great community.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Return to All Things Zombie and More