Curious.. do you play ATZ FFO or FTB?

ATZ, horror and Post Apoc

Curious.. do you play ATZ FFO or FTB?

Postby shubert69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Folks,

I have both games. There are quite a few differences. In Fade to Black there is no vehicle rules, no random events on double dice, In sight taken by leader, etc...
I'm curious as to which people tend to prefer when playing ATZ?

Cheers
shubert69
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Curious.. do you play ATZ FFO or FTB?

Postby THW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 am

shubert69 wrote:Hi Folks,

I have both games. There are quite a few differences. In Fade to Black there is no vehicle rules, no random events on double dice, In sight taken by leader, etc...
I'm curious as to which people tend to prefer when playing ATZ?

Cheers

FTB was made for Lock n Load to update the first version that they made. The old owner changed the rules in the first one so the new owner wanted an updated board game, then something similar to it for minis.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby THW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 am

The dilemma I'm running into is ATZ FFO is five years old and since it came out there's been over 40 new rule books released with a lot of changes to mechanics that are streamlined as well as campaign tweaks that have me thinking of updating FFO. I'm torn between not doing an updated version and doing one to provide the best game I can.

There is a quick play ATZ card/dice game coming out to attract the casual zombie board game/mini player, but it won't cover the Zombie Apocalypse in as much depth as FFO does, but is also compatible with other ATZ books.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby shubert69 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 am

Hiya Ed,

I really like the depth of FFO and I can see Fade to black is indeed streamlined. I'm also actually cannibalising some rules from the Fade to Black when I want a quicker game(almost like a basic and advanced rules). For example If I'm in a hurry (relatively) I'll use the Leader REP for the in sight, so on.
I'm kind of staying close to FFO as I have yet to try 911, and the other awesome expansions.

Keep up the good work!

cheers!
shubert69
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby shon maxx » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:37 am

THW wrote:The dilemma I'm running into is ATZ FFO is five years old and since it came out there's been over 40 new rule books released with a lot of changes to mechanics that are streamlined as well as campaign tweaks that have me thinking of updating FFO. I'm torn between not doing an updated version and doing one to provide the best game I can.

There is a quick play ATZ card/dice game coming out to attract the casual zombie board game/mini player, but it won't cover the Zombie Apocalypse in as much depth as FFO does, but is also compatible with other ATZ books.

You can always do an alternate game for people that prefer streamlined rules. Just take FFO and use the 2d6 and Battle Board rules. People can then use these or FFO rules for their ATZ games and supplements. Maybe call it Dead Simple and include the Day One rules as a scenario so that it's not really a remake, just an alternate way to kill zombies.

I love FFO but I'd enjoy a 2d6 system as I'm getting used to those rules.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby davidlhsl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:06 am

I really love the graphic images in the LnL rulebooks, but ultimately I prefer the clean design of the THW rulebooks. With all the whitespace and large margins, I can pencil in errata and reminders as needed. For example, I've penciled in the two Citizen Brown Pants rules' page numbers in the appropriate pages of the QRS so I won't forget them. I also have a comb binder, so I've printed the updates posted in these forums that I've inserted into my rulebook. That's the main reason I haven't purchased the LnL books. "Nowhere Nevada" was very tempting, even though I already have "Haven."

It's difficult for me to gauge which rules I use from FFO, which from the updates (I know the change to the melee rules against zombies introduced in "High Moon" and found in the update is one I immediately adopted), which from the supplements such as "Tales of Dread," which from the updated mechanics found in other THW rules, and which rules I improvise myself (Such as my test to see if phones, internet, and electricity are available during the initial weeks of the outbreak -- roll 2d6 vs. Week #, pass 0d6 = operational, pass 1d6 = out of service for the current encounter but can be tested in next to see if comes online, pass 2d6 = permanently out of service for the area). I suppose an ATZ update wouldn't be such a bad idea to pull things together the way it was done in Nuts, though you probably won't need to have a separate compendium.

That toolbox aspect works the other way as well, as I've used ideas from ATZ in other THW titles, particularly the random event rules that I sometimes create customized to whatever encounter I'm playing. In fact, I've often thought it would be interesting for THW to produce a booklet devoted specifically to various tools that have potential to be used across a wide variety of genres ("Chain Reaction Compendium" or "Advanced Chain Reaction" perhaps? Though it shouldn't be a free product.). For example, THW used to feature rules for building interiors in an earlier version of 5150. Such a resource could also feature some of the earlier methods of the rules for those of us who don't mind the extra level of detail and dice rolling. For example, the earlier method of resolving In Sight based on individual characters rather than groups is thematic in non-military settings such as the wild west or even the zombie apocalypse. As a matter of fact, "Chain Reaction 2015" preserved the weapon impact rules as an option for those who want it. Then again, resolving In Sights by group leaders is far less complicated to explain, so the modern mechanics definitely have the advantage in terms of streamlining things.

And I'm rambling, so I'll wrap this up... :D
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

I like the CR Compendium as there are lots of rules to choose from.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby shubert69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Oh talking about Haven... I've been looking everywhere for that one.. Sadly Not been successful.
Is it still for sale? Or perhaps stash somewhere?

Cheers
shubert69
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Haven.jpg
Haven.jpg (96.43 KiB) Viewed 827 times

Here it is, back from the dead. :)

http://twohourwargames.com/haven.html
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to All Things Zombie and More