Lovecrafts Revenge. A couple of questions...

ATZ, ATH, or anything else you're using in a Horror or Post Apocalyptic setting

Re: Lovecrafts Revenge. A couple of questions...

Postby shon maxx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Deathworks wrote:Hello!

There are a few things that struck me about the game:

First of all, in one response here on the forums, the date is set as the 1920s. However, in the introduction story, the couple trying to flee make sure to have their cell phones on them ... sounds a bit more modern to me (^_^;; Personally, I think it should work just fine with a modern setting, the rules are flexible enough.

I wanted an opening story that would fit the mood of the game, but rather than use an entire Lovecraft story, I decided to include one of my own, but stripped down. I completely forgot about the cell phone.

Secondly, I am confused about the darkness level rules on page 30. At first, the example describes that the darkness level rises during a scene based on a trigger event. Then, we get the rising darkness table, which seems more like a table for a one-time rise between scenes. The way the table is written, DL rises by up to 2 once between scenes. Otherwise passing 1 would be worse than passing 2...

Oops. Originally, the DL only went up by 1 if the events happened. Otherwise it would stay the same. This was a last-minute change, but I forgot to fix the example.

On the blog, a rule named It's Quiet, too Quiet or some such is mentioned, but it seems to be missing from the final rules.

It was cut right before release. Originally, if it dropped to 1, then on the very next turn, it would shoot up 1-6 levels.

BTW, I really like the PEF and combat rules for Lovecraft's Revenge, as you do not really need a battle board/table at all: After all, PEFs are all encountered one after the other (so no maneuvering on the table to see whether you encounter a PEF or not), and combat also only has ranged distance and melee, which is even simpler than some things I have seen in RPGs that do not require miniatures/a table to be played.

Although I am not really sure about a Lovecraftian campaign. It is not really his style, you know (^_^;; However, if there was a more generic ghost/monster variant, I see some potential there.

All in all, good job, and I am looking forward to the dreams supplement.

Thanks for the comments! Deadly Dreams is currently in line.

Yours,
Deathworks
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Tekawiz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 am

On the blog, a rule named It's Quiet, too Quiet or some such is mentioned, but it seems to be missing from the final rules.

It was cut right before release. Originally, if it dropped to 1, then on the very next turn, it would shoot up 1-6 levels.

I'm curious to know after the "It's Too Quiet" rule is triggered, how many levels the DL would go up and for how long? I'd like to try it in my current story.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Deathworks » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 am

Hello!

Thanks for the reply.

As I said, I like the idea of using modern times with the game. After all, horror is more effective if it is close to home ... :) :) :)

BTW, there was one thing that kind of annoyed me. You used an investigative reporter in your examples, but forgot to suggest what profession to use. I am now using a female investigative reporter and opted for the civilian, although it does put her at a big disadvantage with the coward attribute (^_^;; ... or maybe it is an advantage, giving that fleeing might be a good idea in Lovecraft's stories :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Deathworks wrote:Hello!

Thanks for the reply.

As I said, I like the idea of using modern times with the game. After all, horror is more effective if it is close to home ... :) :) :)

BTW, there was one thing that kind of annoyed me. You used an investigative reporter in your examples, but forgot to suggest what profession to use. I am now using a female investigative reporter and opted for the civilian, although it does put her at a big disadvantage with the coward attribute (^_^;; ... or maybe it is an advantage, giving that fleeing might be a good idea in Lovecraft's stories :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

Which examples?

Tekawiz wrote:On the blog, a rule named It's Quiet, too Quiet or some such is mentioned, but it seems to be missing from the final rules.
I'm curious to know after the "It's Too Quiet" rule is triggered, how many levels the DL would go up and for how long? I'd like to try it in my current story.

Here you go; in this case the DL can drop below 3. I think I got a little overzealous when I first wrote the rules, trying to give the option to recreate every scene from Lovecraft's stories. Ed trimmed a lot of it down, pointing out that I made some parts of the rules a little too complicated.

IT’S QUIET, TOO QUIET!
While unlikely, it is possible for the Darkness Level to drop to 1. Don’t drop your guard yet, though; this is only the calm before the killer storm. This rule is called, ‘It’s quiet, too quiet,’ and is used to keep the game from becoming boring if the DL drops too low.
Here’s how it works:
• If the DL drops to 1, players are allowed to play out the rest of the scene at that level.
• However, at the beginning of the very next turn, raises the DL by 1d6.
• This occurs every time the DL drops to 1, even if it does so several times in an encounter or scene.

Example - The DL drops to 1 as I enter Downtown. I play out the scene as normally and prepare for the next one. Usually this means I would roll on the Rising Darkness table. Instead, 'It's Quiet, too Quiet' kicks in. rolling 1d6, I get a 4, and the DL goes up to 5. I play out the next scene in the Graveyard and fight off some Ghouls. At the end of this scene, I roll on the Rising Darkness table and Pass 2d6. The DL is now a 7.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Deathworks » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello!

On page 11, in the example for recruiting grunts and co-stars, Rhonda the investigative reporter, a REP 5 Co-Star is mentioned.

I think investigative reporters are good (Co-)Stars as they have a tendency to get information they were not meant to get. And a lot of Lovecraft's writing is about such forbidden knowledge and its dire consequences ...

Yours,
Deathworks
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Ah, I see. I probably should've lumped IR's with Detectives, but you can go with either them or Civilians.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Deathworks » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Hello!

Detectives or civilians, that was also my feeling, although detectives sounded a bit too tough for the image I had.

BTW, another aspect that I am thinking about modifying is a problem I see in other THW titles with a clue system (Larger Than Life, New Hope City:PI) as well: the revelation of the destination at the final PEF. From a narrative point of view, it seems odd that you should visit some random location in town with no idea whether you are looking for a person or an item in that location.

For example, why would you visit downtown during an investigation that just saw some ghouls in the graveyard in the previous scene? Similarly, if you visit the university, you would probably either be looking for some item they have or maybe a knowledgable professor - or students reportedly involved in strange things.

For instance, I have defined that the target building for the opening scene will be the office of my star and that the last PEF will include her boss who insists on regular in-person-visits at the office even in our age of home-office working.

For later scenes, I am not sure how to handle the objective problem. After all, there can be occasions where the scene starts with only vague details (for instance, a missing person spent a lot of time at the coast, so you head there, not knowing whether you find an object or maybe an acquaintance of the missing person), while in other cases, it would be more reasonable to assume that you have at least a general idea (for instance, after seeing some things out of this world, you decide to visit the university and talk to a professor specializing in folklore and the occult).

So, I feel that sometimes the objective and target building should be determined at the beginning of the scene (I am setting out to meet professor X in the building Y) while at other times, they should be determined during the scene (either thanks to a successul encounter or at the last PEF). I have no idea how to put this into an automated mechanism, though (^_^;;

Yours,
Deathworks
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 am

True. I always viewed it as my character knew more than I did so when he/she went to the final location, he figured it out and I learned everything at the end. Kind of like a mystery on TV where the person reveals everything in the last scene.

Just my thought on it.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Deathworks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 am

Hello!

Interesting.

Personally, I prefer a more immersive approach. The character and I have the same knowledge, at least on a conscious level (although I have the advantage of knowing that there really are monsters out there :) :) :) :) ). There may be times when the character remembers something - like connections available or such things, but those are revealed to me the moment the character remembers.

I also always want to know why my character does something. Otherwise, I feel there is too much detachment (^_^;;

At least those are my preferences.

Yours,
Deathworks
Deathworks
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Well remember Ed's Mantra: Play the game your way. If you prefer for your story to take place in only one or two locations, go for it! The options exist for all types of game play preferences.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Previous

Return to Horror / Post Apoc