ATZ: EV, FTB, or FFO?

ATZ, horror and Post Apoc

ATZ: EV, FTB, or FFO?

Postby soup1979 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to ATZ and am looking to get into playing. I'm intrested in the miniature/measuring version of the game for that and was curious what this community would reccomend from ATZ: EV, FTB, or FFO? Also, some of the differneces would be nice too. Do they all require erratta or are some complete as is?

I appreciate all the help and can't wait to get playing!

Thanks,
Sam
soup1979
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: ATZ: EV, FTB, or FFO?

Postby CthulhuKid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Probably the best way for you to figure it out for yourself would be to pick up Chain Reaction versions since each version of ATZ is based off of a different version of ATZ.

I would probably stay away from Fade to Black since that's the oldest (unless I'm messing up my titles) and probably the most fiddly. But you can get Chain Reaction 2015 if you're curious.

Final Fade Out is based on Chain Reaction Final Version and has a great campaign system and is simple to play. You can download Chain Reaction FV and 2015 from the "Vault" on the THW site.

Evo is the newest and based off of Chain Reaction 2018. From what I hear (I don't have it....yet), it's the most streamlined and does away with a lot of the miniatures-style movement to speed up play. Rather than setting up a huge 3' x 3' table, you're just playing on small 8" x 11" battle boards whenever combat occurs, while the rest of the game covers the campaign aspects (which are always awesome, no matter which system you're using).

Hope that helps. I have a ball every time I play Final Fade Out, and after having read Chain Reaction 2018, I might incorporate some of those bits into my FFO games to speed things up.

And, who am I kidding, I'll probably own ATZ: Evo before I know it, because I'm a weak, weak man.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Maj. Diz Aster » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:59 pm

ATZM: Fade To Black is basically ATZ: Final Fade Out in a slicker package, plus it was published in 2017 by Lock n Load Games as part of a collaboration with THW. It is completely compatible with ALL versions of ATZ. ATZ: Evolution uses the new streamlined THW rules that allow you to set up and play very quickly, relying less on laying out terrain to play a game. All versions focus on the story you are trying to create. Personally, I prefer a combination of ATZM: Fade To Black and ATZ: Final Fade Out, primarily because I have amassed a sizable collection of miniatures and terrain and I prefer using terrain to the Battle Boards of the new version.
Attachments
atzm ftb cover.jpg
atzm ftb cover.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 361 times
atz ffo cover.jpg
atz ffo cover.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 361 times
Maj. Diz Aster

Ex Spatio, En Vicroria
https://ex-spatio-en-victoria.blogspot.com/
Maj. Diz Aster
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby CthulhuKid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Ah, I was mixing up Fade to Black and Better Dead than Zed. My bad. Listen to the Major, he knows what he's talking about.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:08 pm

soup1979 wrote:Hello all,

Here goes.

I'm new to ATZ and am looking to get into playing. I'm intrested in the miniature/measuring version of the game That's Final Fade out, period. Having wrote them all, that's the one for measuring. for that and was curious what this community would reccomend from ATZ: EV, FTB, or FFO? Also, some of the differneces would be nice too. Do they all require erratta or are some complete as is? All are complete as is. As for differences, FTB was reduced in rules for LnL - limited in scope. FFO is minis, terrain, and measuring. Evolution plays on 8"x11" Battle Boards and no terrain or measuring required.
Both use similar mechanics and cover the same things, just minor tweaking in game mechanics with FFO a bit more detailed. Can't lose either way. Complimentary rule sets so can move between them as you like.

Here's ATZ FFO back on the website http://twohourwargames.com/atzfifaout.html.
Hope this helps,
Ed

Thanks,
Sam
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby soup1979 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Maj. Diz Aster wrote:ATZM: Fade To Black is basically ATZ: Final Fade Out in a slicker package, plus it was published in 2017 by Lock n Load Games as part of a collaboration with THW. It is completely compatible with ALL versions of ATZ. ATZ: Evolution uses the new streamlined THW rules that allow you to set up and play very quickly, relying less on laying out terrain to play a game. All versions focus on the story you are trying to create. Personally, I prefer a combination of ATZM: Fade To Black and ATZ: Final Fade Out, primarily because I have amassed a sizable collection of miniatures and terrain and I prefer using terrain to the Battle Boards of the new version.

Thanks to all the replies!
It looks like I'm leaning towards FFO or FTB.
Maj., as you use both, what do you prefer out of FFO or FTB?
(Certain rules or edition)

Thanks again!
Last edited by soup1979 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soup1979
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby soup1979 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 pm

THW wrote:
soup1979 wrote:Hello all,

Here goes.

I'm new to ATZ and am looking to get into playing. I'm intrested in the miniature/measuring version of the game That's Final Fade out, period. Having wrote them all, that's the one for measuring. for that and was curious what this community would reccomend from ATZ: EV, FTB, or FFO? Also, some of the differneces would be nice too. Do they all require erratta or are some complete as is? All are complete as is. As for differences, FTB was reduced in rules for LnL - limited in scope. FFO is minis, terrain, and measuring. Evolution plays on 8"x11" Battle Boards and no terrain or measuring required.
Both use similar mechanics and cover the same things, just minor tweaking in game mechanics with FFO a bit more detailed. Can't lose either way. Complimentary rule sets so can move between them as you like.

Here's ATZ FFO back on the website http://twohourwargames.com/atzfifaout.html.
Hope this helps,
Ed

Thanks,
Sam

Ed, thanks for the response!

Does the physical copy of ATZ: FFO come with a pdf version when purchased?
soup1979
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Yes it does. FFO is the tabletop terrain game for zeds for sure. Evolution is great if you want to play without having to set up the table.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Maj. Diz Aster » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm

soup1979 wrote:
Maj. Diz Aster wrote:ATZM: Fade To Black is basically ATZ: Final Fade Out in a slicker package, plus it was published in 2017 by Lock n Load Games as part of a collaboration with THW. It is completely compatible with ALL versions of ATZ. ATZ: Evolution uses the new streamlined THW rules that allow you to set up and play very quickly, relying less on laying out terrain to play a game. All versions focus on the story you are trying to create. Personally, I prefer a combination of ATZM: Fade To Black and ATZ: Final Fade Out, primarily because I have amassed a sizable collection of miniatures and terrain and I prefer using terrain to the Battle Boards of the new version.

Thanks to all the replies!
It looks like I'm leaning towards FFO or FTB.
Maj., as you use both, what do you prefer out of FFO or FTB?
(Certain rules or edition)

Thanks again!

I would have to say Final Fade Out, as it was the basis for Fade To Black, and is the best book geared towards using miniatures and terrain in your games.
Maj. Diz Aster

Ex Spatio, En Vicroria
https://ex-spatio-en-victoria.blogspot.com/
Maj. Diz Aster
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:06 am

Best...zombie...convention...game...ever. Hannah Montana, Mall Madness. Scroll down to the pics.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=358022
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to All Things Zombie and More