5150 No Limits - Combat

OFFICIAL THW Q&A. This is the ONLY forum that will regularly get official answers from Ed himself on rules questions. Please include the ruleset being discussed in the subject heading when posting a new question. Common issues such as In Sight, and order of reactions, will be stickied as they come up for easy reference.

5150 No Limits - Combat

Postby BigWalleye » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:18 pm

A couple of questions about ship combat:

1. Since stars start as Rep 5, a +1 to Rep for Quick Reflexes does not provide any advantage on the Dogfight roll. Roll of a "6" is an utomatic Fail.) Is this correct? Is there any advantage to having a Rep greater than 5 on the Dogfight roll?
(EDIT: I just noticed the same limitation applies to Quick Reflexes on the Action table, AFAIK, the only other place where it is used. Does Quick Reflexes give no advantage to a Rep 5 character at all?)

2. When one ship wins the Dogfight roll, play proceeds to the Fire table. But both sides roll on the Fire table, so the loser of the Dogfight roll can still fire. If the loser of the Dogfight roll wins the Fire roll, does he inflict damage? Does the winner of the Dogfight roll receive any advantage on the Fire roll? Or does the Dogfight roll just determine whether anybody gets a shot?

And one about individual combat:

Does wearing Soft armor actually inflict a penalty on the wearer? Damage table says shooter is +1 when determining damage if target is wearing Soft armor, which increases the likelihood of damage. If so, can characters go nude and not give the shooter a +1? :D
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: 5150 No Limits - Combat

Postby THW » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 am

BigWalleye wrote:A couple of questions about ship combat:

Here goes.

1. Since stars start as Rep 5, a +1 to Rep for Quick Reflexes does not provide any advantage on the Dogfight roll. Roll of a "6" is an utomatic Fail.) Is this correct? Is there any advantage to having a Rep greater than 5 on the Dogfight roll?
(EDIT: I just noticed the same limitation applies to Quick Reflexes on the Action table, AFAIK, the only other place where it is used. Does Quick Reflexes give no advantage to a Rep 5 character at all?)

Yes, as an insurance policy. Here's what I mean. You have a bad adventure and drop to Rep 4 (page 16). The Quick Reflexes now makes you a Rep 5 on the Action and Dogfight Tables. Hope that makes sense.

2. When one ship wins the Dogfight roll, play proceeds to the Fire table. But both sides roll on the Fire table, so the loser of the Dogfight roll can still fire. If the loser of the Dogfight roll wins the Fire roll, does he inflict damage? Does the winner of the Dogfight roll receive any advantage on the Fire roll? Or does the Dogfight roll just determine whether anybody gets a shot? Not quite. If you win on the Dogfight Table, you go to the Fire Table - not both of you. If you are outnumbered and lose to two ships, they both go to the Fire Table. The Fire Table is the reward for winning the Dogfight.

And one about individual combat:

Does wearing Soft armor actually inflict a penalty on the wearer? Damage table says shooter is +1 when determining damage if target is wearing Soft armor, which increases the likelihood of damage. If so, can characters go nude and not give the shooter a +1? :D Soft body armor is regular clothing or weak armor. The +1 is to show that Hard Body armor is better. If you did go nude, you could argue that you get a distraction factor and gain a +1 swing on the die roll to have the Advantage on the Action Table.. :) (page 17).
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby BigWalleye » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 am

1. Yep, makes sense. Was afraid it was something like that. Wasted an attribute pick. :evil:

2. So only the Dogfight winner rolls on the Fire table. The Fire table left column is headed "#D6 Passed" and the entries are "More" and "Same". What do I compare my Fire roll result against to determine whether I passed more or same. Sorry, but I'm not getting this.

3. Sounds good. Next time, I'll have my Xeog give it a try. That tanga wasn't much protection anyway. :D

Thanks for the quick reply, as always.

-BigWalleye
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby BigWalleye » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:24 am

Regarding Question 2: I looked again at the Fire table. If "Same" means that no D6 passed, and "More" means that any passed, then everything makes sense to me. Is this right?
BigWalleye
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:42 am

BigWalleye wrote:Regarding Question 2: I looked again at the Fire table. If "Same" means that no D6 passed, and "More" means that any passed, then everything makes sense to me. Is this right?

Nope, good catch. Should say Pass 1d6 and pass 0d6. Will fix it! Just to be clear, roll 1d6 for each point of Firepower. So if you win with Pirate ship you roll 3d6 (Firepower) versus your Rep.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Ed Sez