Question about recruiting in 5150 UR

OFFICIAL THW Q&A. This is the ONLY forum that will regularly get official answers from Ed himself on rules questions. Please include the ruleset being discussed in the subject heading when posting a new question. Common issues such as In Sight, and order of reactions, will be stickied as they come up for easy reference.

Question about recruiting in 5150 UR

Postby Wardog1207 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:59 pm

My star is looking to recruit an engineer as a crewmember aboard his spaceship. An Engineer is a Joe #4.
If I am following the rules correctly, my star would have to consult the Where Are They table, go to the correct area for the day part, and make contact on the PEF Resolution table.
Then resolve the contact as a Joe #4 (one chance in 11), then resolve the Joe #4 as an Engineer (1 chance in 6), and then score at least one or two more than the opponent to generate a pleasant response at which point I could recruit him. If I miss one die roll anywhere along the way, I'm back to square one.
Is this the correct procedure? Seems like it could take months or even years for my star to recruit a crew. Am I overlooking something?
Wardog1207
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Question about recruiting in 5150 UR

Postby davidlhsl » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Wardog1207 wrote:My star is looking to recruit an engineer as a crewmember aboard his spaceship. An Engineer is a Joe #4.
If I am following the rules correctly, my star would have to consult the Where Are They table, go to the correct area for the day part, and make contact on the PEF Resolution table.
Then resolve the contact as a Joe #4 (one chance in 11), then resolve the Joe #4 as an Engineer (1 chance in 6), and then score at least one or two more than the opponent to generate a pleasant response at which point I could recruit him. If I miss one die roll anywhere along the way, I'm back to square one.
Is this the correct procedure? Seems like it could take months or even years for my star to recruit a crew. Am I overlooking something?

That's the procedure on page 23 under Recruiting Your Band. You can meet multiple NPCs through the PEF resolution, and each NPC you meet can be accompanied by people from other circles and professions. Those extra NPCs can be resolved individually to increase your chance of hitting your target. However, you'll also have PEFs that resolve as nothing or as 1 NPC. So you're probably correct in this method being a long-shot.

If you role play this situation, you have several other options:

Bachelor #1: You could set up a Job Offer encounter flipping the roles where you're the employer meeting the employee at an agreed location.

Bachelor #2: Suppose you meet an NPC in another situation (doesn't matter what profession) and get a positive result. Do another opposed challenge with that same NPC (don't forget your positive response bonus, if applicable) where you're expressing to the NPC that you're looking for an engineer and wonder if they know anybody that might fit the bill. It's up to you as to whether that leads you to the target or whether you want to proceed to Bachelor #1.

Bachelor #3: You could do an unopposed challenge where you're placing an help wanted advert. If you succeed, roll 1/2 d6 to determine how many candidates respond. Set up a Chillin' encounter, resolve the PEFs as normal, and at the end you've met the candidate(s). If you want to add some extra spice, roll a d6 for each candidate. On a 1, the candidate is a no-show. Or, a favorable challenge result might be resolved with Bachelor #1.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Wardog1207 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 am

davidlhsl,
Thanks, those are some good ideas. I had actually considered flipping the Job Offer, but wasn't sure if that would be considered bending the rules to make it easier on myself. Hearing the same idea from another player is encouraging.
The other two options I had not considered. Before I got into Two Hour Wargames I was strictly a tabletop wargamer. Although I was interested in the role playing aspect of gaming and had incorporated my own version of that into some of my tabletop games (with limited success I might add), I had zero experience with actual RPGs. Guess I'm going to have to stop being so analytical and "Just Play the Game!"
I was thinking: Couldn't a character just take out an ad instead of hunting the city on foot hoping to randomly encounter the person he is looking for? But I couldn't figure a way to do it that stayed within the game parameters. Your ideas will work great.

Thanks again,
Wardog
Wardog1207
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby davidlhsl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 am

I can relate, because my background is from wargaming as well. The reason roleplaying can be such a paradigm shift for wargamers is that wargamers regard rules as the final word on the game, and everything must be explicitly defined.

Roleplaying regards rules as general guidelines (i.e., tools in a toolbox) rather than the "final word."

That doesn't mean, however, that roleplayers are so loose that they don't take reality into consideration. Suppose you need to cross a pit. A wargamer will go to the rulebook and look up pit crossing. The wargamer will only cross the pit if it's described in the rules, and will only cross the pit in the manner described in the rules. A roleplayer, on the other hand, will go to the game master and ask more questions about the environment. "How wide is the pit?" "Is there a place to tie a rope?" Then the player will decide how he/she will attempt the crossing. A die roll target is determined subjectively based on how difficult the game master thinks the task is, and modified by the player's skill statistic. Note that this general procedure is highly likely to be described in a rulebook (and THW has the handy-dandy unopposed challenge test).

So while roleplaying offers more freedom, they still attempt to create a session that is "realistic." Crossing a wide pit by jumping across will therefore be more risky than swinging across on a rope.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Wardog1207 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Exactly.

I do most of my gaming solo these days, for fun and as a tool for story builidng, so there is no GM to ask other than myself. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm being fair or realistic as you say, because my point of view is naturally going to be skewed in favor of my character(s) no matter how objective I try to be. That's why I ask so many questions on here, as a way of getting feedback from gamers like you and Ed and others. Thanks for the feedback.
Wardog1207
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to Ed Sez