NUTS! Forth Edition questions

OFFICIAL THW Q&A. This is the ONLY forum that will regularly get official answers from Ed himself on rules questions. Please include the ruleset being discussed in the subject heading when posting a new question. Common issues such as In Sight, and order of reactions, will be stickied as they come up for easy reference.

NUTS! Forth Edition questions

Postby junkbarbarian » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Nuts! Forth Edition questions. Sorry if these are over long, I'm trying to make them as clear as possible.

1. Page 19 under triggering an in site test

“The In Sight Test is triggered as soon as any figure in a moving group comes into sight.”

If I am moving a group of three models would this mean

A. I move the entire group, and if any figure came into sight the test is triggered. Then the models move their additional two inches and then the test is resolved.

Or

B. I am moving the group and as soon as the first model (perhaps with the first of three models now being eight inches from the group) comes into sight, I stop moving models and the test is triggered. . Then the models move there additional two inches and then the test is resolved.

2. Regarding return fire

Model A and B (active player) move around a corner into sight of Model 1 (inactive player).
They take an in site test and the active player wins.
Model A opens fire.

True or False – If Model 1 survives the fire from A it might return fire. If model A survives the return fire from Model 1 it might return fire. If Model 1 survived the return fire (return return fire?) and was called on to return fire again, it would duck back instead.

So effectively there is a soft limit of 3 on the number of shots that can be exchanged between a pair of models in a single phase, because even if A is still able to active fire after all this is resolved, A could not active fire at Model 1 because Model 1 has ducked back and is out of sight.

True or False – In the example above all the shots would be resolved before Model B can fire, and if Model 1 has ducked back it cannot be Model B’s target.

True or false – If the above exchange had ended with Model A dead or ducked back and Model one at carry on status, then Model B could fire at Model 1 because Model 1 is in sight. This could result in an exchange of 3 shots (between Model B and Model 1) assuming nobody runs out of ammunition, ducks back, or is taken out of the fight.
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: NUTS! Forth Edition questions

Postby THW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:23 pm

junkbarbarian wrote:Nuts! Forth Edition questions. Sorry if these are over long, I'm trying to make them as clear as possible.

No worries and here goes.

1. Page 19 under triggering an in site test

“The In Sight Test is triggered as soon as any figure in a moving group comes into sight.”

If I am moving a group of three models would this mean

A. I move the entire group, and if any figure came into sight the test is triggered. Then the models move their additional two inches and then the test is resolved.

Or

B. I am moving the group and as soon as the first model (perhaps with the first of three models now being eight inches from the group) comes into sight, I stop moving models and the test is triggered. . Then the models move there additional two inches and then the test is resolved. Yep this one. Keep in mind that all figures would move at the same time, like in real life. So all move the same distance until one steps into view. This triggers the In Sight, then all get to move 2" more whether they were moving or not.

2. Regarding return fire

Model A and B (active player) move around a corner into sight of Model 1 (inactive player).
They take an in site test and the active player wins.
Model A opens fire.

True or False – If Model 1 survives the fire from A it might return fire. If model A survives the return fire from Model 1 it might return fire. If Model 1 survived the return fire (return return fire?) and was called on to return fire again, it would duck back instead. Correct, you can return fire once, if called on to do it a second time you duck back instead. If A and B fired at Model 1, it could fire back at both if it had a Target Rating that allowed it and they were close enough to each other.

So effectively there is a soft limit of 3 on the number of shots that can be exchanged between a pair of models in a single phase, because even if A is still able to active fire after all this is resolved, A could not active fire at Model 1 because Model 1 has ducked back and is out of sight. Correct.

True or False – In the example above all the shots would be resolved before Model B can fire, and if Model 1 has ducked back it cannot be Model B’s target. Depends. If A and B can fire first, both fire at Model 1 at the same time. A and B tirgger an In Sight with Model 1. They win and BOTH fire. Model 1 gets a return fire result so can fire at both subject to the weapons Target Rating. BUT if Model 1 got a Duck Back result from A and a return fire from B, he duck backs, Akways take the worse result.

True or false – If the above exchange had ended with Model A dead or ducked back and Model one at carry on status, then Model B could fire at Model 1 because Model 1 is in sight. This could result in an exchange of 3 shots (between Model B and Model 1) assuming nobody runs out of ammunition, ducks back, or is taken out of the fight.
See above. Fire from the same side means all figures must fire at the same time. Hope this helps.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby junkbarbarian » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks! That helps a lot.

One more question ...

"Model 1 gets a return fire result so can fire at both subject to the weapons Target Rating"

Does this mean models that return fire are assumed to be firing one shot per attacker? So a model with a Semiautomatic Rifle (TR 2 if memory serves) gets one shot each at up to two attackers?
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 am

junkbarbarian wrote:Thanks! That helps a lot.

One more question ...

"Model 1 gets a return fire result so can fire at both subject to the weapons Target Rating"

Does this mean models that return fire are assumed to be firing one shot per attacker? So a model with a Semiautomatic Rifle (TR 2 if memory serves) gets one shot each at up to two attackers?

Those that return fire can only fire at those that shot at them. If more than one guy fires at them they can fire at as many of them that they have shots. So let's say two guys fore at one guy with a submarine gun (TR 3). He can fire bakc at both with up to 3 shots. The best way FYI is 1 on the first target and the other 2 on the second because the dice are arranged form high to low, first to last target. Example - My guy can return fire the two gys that fired at him. I roll a 3, 4 and 1. The 4 goes on the first guy and the 3 and 1 on the second.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby junkbarbarian » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks again.
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby junkbarbarian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:38 pm

A few more if you don't mind. Questions in green, with quoted things in black and red for specific bits that I'm focused on:

Regarding Duck Back and firing:

From Page 17

"DUCK BACK – Figures that Duck Back are seeking cover

and safety. Here’s how we do it:

Move to the nearest cover within 6”. This can be

in any direction, even forward. This ends its turn.

If no cover is available within 6” the figure will

drop prone in place, ending its turn.

Ducking Back figures may not fire until they have

Recovered (page 21).
"

From Page 20

"RESOLVING IN SIGHT ACTIONS

The group winning the In Sight will now act. Here’s how

we do it in order from top to bottom:

Figures Hunkered Down or Leaving the Table

cannot score better than current status.

Fire – includes those that have Ducked Back if

they have LOS.

If cannot fire will Charge into Melee if within 6”.

If cannot fire or Charge into Melee and in range

of the enemy, will Duck Back.

Does this mean models in Duck Back status may not ACTIVE fire but can RETURN fire?

Regarding In Site Test

"Whenever a group has an opposing group enter

into its Line of Sight or LOS, and the opposing

group was not seen previously during this

activation phase, the in Sight Test has been

triggered. "

Does this mean seen by any group, or seen by the group that has established line of site?

Regarding return Fire

From Page 27

"Example – In the previous example, let’s assume that the

two Germans that were missed were armed with SMGs as

well and not outgunned. They could Return Fire. German

rolls 2d6 and scores one hit.

The 2nd German returns fire and misses. I roll for damage

and score a 3, causing Billy to Duck Back. As he has

suffered a Duck Back result, this means he cannot return

Fire. "

Why only 2d6? Should it not be 3?

Regarding shooting and range:

Am I missing it somewhere, or does range not affect a firer's chance of hitting? IE either in range or out.
junkbarbarian
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 pm

junkbarbarian wrote:A few more if you don't mind. Questions in green, with quoted things in black and red for specific bits that I'm focused on:

Regarding Duck Back and firing:

Does this mean models in Duck Back status may not ACTIVE fire but can RETURN fire?

They can return fire only if they have a LOS. Cannot Active fire as they must recover. And this won't come up becasue when active they must try torecover.

Regarding In Site Test

"Whenever a group has an opposing group enter

into its Line of Sight or LOS, and the opposing

group was not seen previously during this

activation phase, the in Sight Test has been

triggered. "

Does this mean seen by any group, or seen by the group that has established line of site?

Only moving groups can trigger an In Sight. When you walk into LOS you trigger the In Sight. This could be to one or more groups that can now see you.

Regarding return Fire

From Page 27

"Example – In the previous example, let’s assume that the

two Germans that were missed were armed with SMGs as

well and not outgunned. They could Return Fire. German

rolls 2d6 and scores one hit.

The 2nd German returns fire and misses. I roll for damage

and score a 3, causing Billy to Duck Back. As he has

suffered a Duck Back result, this means he cannot return

Fire. "

Why only 2d6? Should it not be 3? Yep, should be 3d6

Regarding shooting and range:

Am I missing it somewhere, or does range not affect a firer's chance of hitting? IE either in range or out.
Ranges are effective range, that which the shooter feels he can score a hit. Plus at 1 " to 2 yards even on a 4x6 table you're only at 100 to 150 yards out. Hope this helps.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Ed Sez