In Sight Step-By Step

Player aids from THW. Not rule changes, just alternatives.

In Sight Step-By Step

Postby THW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:54 pm

THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Re: In Sight Step-By Step

Postby ZorroGames » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks.
Gracias,

Glenn

Avatar from Desert Documentary by Kieran McCarty - Soldado de Cuera illustration
http://www.library.arizona.edu
Kindly edited by Biddo
SOLDADO DE CUERA
Illustrated by
José Cisneros, El Paso
ZorroGames
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Redmao » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Great way to explain the basics.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby WargamingR » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 pm

nice and clear, thanks Ed!
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby deadchannel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:27 am

Is it necessary for a side to group up like that in base to base to move as one? If I have ten men on my side do they all move at once or individually? If they move individually then an In Sight could trigger with a guy 8" away from the rest of his group. If they move as a group how far around the corner would they get before stopping to test In Sight? I've always had a weird time figuring out when exactly the In Sight is triggered.
deadchannel
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby r_nakamura » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:12 am

deadchannel wrote:Is it necessary for a side to group up like that in base to base to move as one? If I have ten men on my side do they all move at once or individually? If they move individually then an In Sight could trigger with a guy 8" away from the rest of his group. If they move as a group how far around the corner would they get before stopping to test In Sight? I've always had a weird time figuring out when exactly the In Sight is triggered.

I would like to chime in on this as I had a hard time learning this part. When I started playing THW games, I was used to skirmish games where you move each figure individually. So, even when I activated a group in THW, I would move each figure individually and this caused all sorts of awkward situations. After reading discussions and using recent diagrams in THW books as reference, I consider that all figures in an active group move at the same time, even if I have to pick up and move them one at a time. So for instance if the leading figure moves 5", I go and move each of the others 5" as though they had done so at the same time.

Regarding the triggering of an in sight, again from discussions and examples I have come to adopt that "as soon as the figure is visible" means when most of it (or its base) is in sight of the enemy, much like the pictures in Ed's step by step explanation.

One thing I am not quite so sure is: suppose a figure moves 8" and in doing so, at the end of the movement, triggers an In Sight test. Is it still allowed the 2" move? The answer, the way I play, is "yes", and I figure that if I apply the same to my force, enemies and PEFs, then all is fine. However, I do not know the official answer.
r_nakamura
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:28 am

deadchannel wrote:Is it necessary for a side to group up like that in base to base to move as one? If I have ten men on my side do they all move at once or individually? If they move individually then an In Sight could trigger with a guy 8" away from the rest of his group. If they move as a group how far around the corner would they get before stopping to test In Sight? I've always had a weird time figuring out when exactly the In Sight is triggered.

When in doubt think of real life. Three of us are walking in a file, two yards apart from each other. The first fellow reaches the end of the wall and stops. The rest of us catch up. Now we all go out together.

So all figures move together, as much or as little as they want and when they want when active. When the first enemy is seen, that triggers the In Sight. it could be one, two or more figures. For example, ten guys ducked behind a wall. 1, 2 3 they all stand up.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby THW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:31 am

r_nakamura wrote:

I would like to chime in on this as I had a hard time learning this part. When I started playing THW games, I was used to skirmish games where you move each figure individually. So, even when I activated a group in THW, I would move each figure individually and this caused all sorts of awkward situations. After reading discussions and using recent diagrams in THW books as reference, I consider that all figures in an active group move at the same time, even if I have to pick up and move them one at a time. So for instance if the leading figure moves 5", I go and move each of the others 5" as though they had done so at the same time. You can move the rear guys to join the front guy. Then finish the move together

Regarding the triggering of an in sight, again from discussions and examples I have come to adopt that "as soon as the figure is visible" means when most of it (or its base) is in sight of the enemy, much like the pictures in Ed's step by step explanation.Correct.

One thing I am not quite so sure is: suppose a figure moves 8" and in doing so, at the end of the movement, triggers an In Sight test. Is it still allowed the 2" move? The answer, the way I play, is "yes", and I figure that if I apply the same to my force, enemies and PEFs, then all is fine. However, I do not know the official answer.
Correct. It's est to read the rules as written and don't dig too deep into "what about?." Your question is a great example of that.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby deadchannel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks guys, that clears a lot up. This is what happens when I get to talking about games with my friends...we overthink it instead of Just Playing The Game. :D I do like consistency when I play solo, so the example did help.
deadchannel
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:49 pm

deadchannel wrote:Thanks guys, that clears a lot up. This is what happens when I get to talking about games with my friends...we overthink it instead of Just Playing The Game. :D I do like consistency when I play solo, so the example did help.

That's the key, consistency. Once you find the game you want to play, tweak it, and just play.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Next

Return to Ministry of Information