CR3 play-by-post

A place to run games online

Re: CR3 play-by-post

Postby josta59 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Alpha leader climbs down the hill and hides in the trees while his team shifts forward on the hill.

Charlie team advances to take on the four maroons in the trench.

In-sight test
Marines get -1d6 for being active and moved.
Maroons get full dice.

Charlie leader SM5: 4d6=5, 2, 4, 2...2 successes
Charlie R4: 3d6=5, 6, 2...1 success
Charlie SA4: 3d6=6, 6, 1...1 success
Maroon P5 star: 5d6=2, 1, 6, 5, 2...3 successes
Maroon R3: 3d6=3, 3, 4...2 successes
Maroon P4 star: 4d6=6, 5, 2, 1...2 succeses
Maroon G4: 4d6=4, 4, 6, 2...1 success

The maroon P5 star fires his pistol at Charlie's SAW and R4. 2d6=5, 2, and Charlie's SAW is hit.

Roll for damage: 1d6=6, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=1, 3, and Charlie's SAW is stunned.

Fireteam Charlie takes the Received Fire and Man Down tests. Leader Die is a 4, and 2d6=1, 2. They are fired up!

Charlie Leader fires at the maroons in the rear. 3d6=6, 6, 4, and both maroons are hit, the P4 star twice (third shot but he was the second target).

The maroon G4 rolls for damage. 1d6=4, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=1, 5, and he's out of the fight.

The P4 star rolls for damage. 2d6=4, 2 vs the SMG Impact of 1. He takes the RfKD test. 2d6=5, 5, and it's a kill shot. He rolls his 4 Star Dice: 2, 6, 3, 6, and his status is changed to stunned. He loses 2 Star Dice.

But the maroon P4 had fired at the same time as Charlie leader! 2d6=6, 1, and Charlie's R4 is hit.

Roll for damage: 1d6=6, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=6, 2, and he's out of the fight. Charlie takes its first casualty.

The maroon R3 rolls a 3 and fires at Charlie leader. 3d6=5, 3, 2, and he gets a hit.

Roll for damage: 1d6=2 vs Impact of 3, and Charlie leader gets an OOF status. He rolls his 5 Star Dice and gets 3, 2, 2, 1, 6. He shakes off the wound and keeps going, not even falling down. But he is down to 4 Star Dice.

Charlie leader takes the Received Fire and Man Down tests. Leader Die is a 6, and 2d6=3, 5. He fires back at the R3. 3d6=6, 3, 2.

Roll for damage: 1d6=2, and the maroon R3 takes the RfKD test. 2d6=6, 3, and he's out of the fight.

This leaves the two Rep-5 leaders, each with 4 Star Dice, just standing and looking at each other, but the in-sight test is officially over.

Summary of in-sight results
  • A maroon squad leader stuns Charlie's SAW.
  • Charlie leader wounds a maroon grenade launcher and stuns a maroon SL. Then he wounds a rifleman.
  • A maroon SL wounds Charlie's rifleman.

All marines have moved, so it's the maroons' turn to activate. The only one able to do so is the P5 star in the trench, who is staring down Charlie leader.

But 2 of Charlie's riflemen recover from their stun, and one of them is in LOS of the maroon P5.
Missiles in Managua: Sandies and Spetsnaz assault a Contra hideout!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 pm

In-sight test
The marines gets full dice.
The maroon gets full dice because he's active but not moved.

Charlie leader: 5d6=1, 1, 1, 6, 4...3 successes
Charlie R4: 4d6=3, 6, 5, 6...1 success
Maroon P5: 5d6=2, 4, 4, 4, 2...2 successes

Charlie leader shoots first. 3d6=3, 3, 1, and he hits the maroon SL twice.

Roll for damage: 2d6=6, 1, and one is a kill shot. The maroon SL rolls his 4 Star Dice and gets 4, 1, 1, 3. He shakes off the wound and carries on, not even falling down. He takes the Received Fire test, gets a Leader Die of 2, and 2d6=6, 6. He passes 1, and since stars can't be outgunned he tries a Rush Shot.

2d6=2, 1, and he misses completely.

Charlie's marines take the Received Fire test. Leader Die is a 6, and 2d6=5, 2. Charlie Leader fires back, while the R4 fires a Rush Shot.

Charlie leader rolls 3d6=5, 5, 2, scoring 2 hits, and the rifleman rolls 3d6=6, 5, 2, also scoring 2 hits.

The maroon SL rolls for damage. 4d6=2, 2 (SMG hits), 4, 6 (assault rifle hits), and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=4, 1, and he gets a stunned status. He rolls his 4 Star Dice again and gets 1, 6, 5, 3. He carries on, losing 1 Star Die, and since he was knocked down he's now prone.

The maroon SL takes the Received Fire test. Leader Die is a 3, and 2d6=6, 2. He returns fire. 3d6=6, 6, 1, and both marines are hit.

Charlie's R4 rolls for damage. 1d6=4, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=3, 1, and he's stunned again. Poor guy.

Charlie leader rolls for damage. 1d6=5, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=5, 4, and he gets a stunned status. He rolls his 4 Star Dice and gets 1, 6, 1, 4. He carries on and is down to 3 Star Dice. He is now prone.

Charlie leader takes the Received Fire and Man Down tests. Leader Die is a 4, and 2d6=5, 3. He returns fire. 3d6=6, 3, 1, and the maroon SL is hit once (the second shot misses since he's prone).

Roll for damage: 1d6=4, and he takes the RfKD test (despite already being knocked down). 2d6=4, 5, and gets a stunned status. He rolls his 3 Star Dice and gets 6, 5, 4. He stays stunned and is down to 2 Star Dice.

• A maroon SL stuns Charlie's rifleman.
  • Charlie leader stuns the maroon SL.

That ends Turn 6. Everyone west of the trench has now recovered from stun! Stay tuned for Turn 7.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Turn 7
Roll for activation: marines 6, maroons 5

Sorry, no marine movements this time. They'll be coming after you now.

The 4 maroons huddled in hex Q6 in sector 4 roll for movement. 3d6=2, 4, 1, but as soon as they start moving they're seen by Fireteam Alpha.

Just to make things interesting, I went ahead and rolled for the next maroon group's movement, on the center hill. 2d6=1, 4, and they move west to support the first group, and in fact become part of it. This creates another huge in-sight.

In-sight test
Marines get full dice.
Maroons get -1d6 for being active and moved.

Alpha leader: 5d6=4, 4, 5, 1, 4...1 success
Alpha R4 (hex J3): 4d6=5, 3, 2, 5...2 successes
Alpha SA4: 4d6=6, 1, 2, 1...3 successes
Alpha R4 (hex J5): 4d6=4, 1, 3, 6...2 successes
Bravo leader: 5d6=1, 6, 2, 2, 6...3 successes
Bravo R4: 4, 5, 6, 5...0 successes
Maroon RL4: 3d6=1, 4, 6...1 success
Maroon SA4: 3d6=5, 5, 3...1 success
Maroon R4: 3d6=2, 4, 6...1 success
Maroon R3 (hex Q6): 2d6=2, 1...2 successes
Maroon R3 (hex Q8): 2d6=6, 2...1 success
Maroon R5: 4d6=4, 1, 1, 5...2 successes

This has taken up a lot of my evening, and I gotta clean up the house a bit. Tune in next time when the fire starts flying again, starting with Alpha's SAW and Bravo leader!

Calebhero already told me he wants to target the rocket launcher and SAW first. Bravo leader, who will you target first?
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Spendlove » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Bravo leader is going full auto on the R5!

"Control, this is Bravo leader, lost three men so far, where the hell is the medivac from the Clooney? We are taking a lot of fire from the valley. Maroons are taking heavy casualties but refusing to break. A few more rounds in the leaders should see them off."
Spendlove
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:36 am

Bravo leader and Alpha's SAW react first when the maroons in sector 4 come in sight. Bravo leader rolls 3d6=5, 4, 2, and hits the maroon R5 on the hill twice.

Roll for damage: 2d6=6, 1, and the maroon R5 is dead.

Alpha's SAW rolls a 4 and sweeps left to right. 4d6=6, 5, 1, 1. He hits the maroon rocket launcher and the SAW before he has to reload.

The maroon RL4 rolls for damage. 1d6=4, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=2, 6, and he's out of the fight.

The maroon SA4 rolls for damage. 1d6=1, and he's dead.

The other maroons take the Received Fire and Man Down tests. 2d6=5, 4, and only the R4 passes 1 die. He takes the worse result and ducks back, while the R3s force a Cohesion Test. 2d6=3, 2, and the group carries on. The R3s neither duck back nor return fire as a result of the Reaction Tests.

Next Alpha's 2 R4s react along with the maroon R3 on the hill.

Alpha's R4 in hex J3 rolls a 4 and fires, rolling 3d6=4, 3, 2. He hits the maroon rifleman on open ground on the hill.

Roll for damage: 1d6=4, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=3, 4, and he's out of the fight.

That maroon R3 had reacted at the same time, rolling a 1. He wasn't able to duck back fast enough.

Alpha's other R4 rolls a 4 and fires at the other R3, rolling 3d6=6, 2, 1. Roll for damage: 1d6=4, and he takes the RfKD test. 2d6=3, 2, and he's stunned.

• Bravo leader kills a maroon rifleman.
  • Alpha's SAW wounds a maroon rocket launcher and kills a SAW.
  • An Alpha rifleman wounds a maroon rifleman.
  • The other Alpha rifleman stuns another maroon rifleman.

The lone maroon standing in sector 3 is an R3 and doesn't have the balls to move toward you marines in this turn.

Well done, Alpha and Bravo teams. There are now only three maroons stunned (a P5 star, a P4 star, and an R3), one ducked back R4, and an R3 that's been stuck in the corner the entire game. Both of the stunned maroon stars have only 2 Star Dice left. I feel like the Clooney is pretty darn safe now (at least on its north side). Wanna call it a game?

You have four wounded to carry out and two stunned guys to revive. But I think the maroons learned their lesson today. If they're gonna beat 15 awesome space marines, they'd better bring more than 26 soldiers to the fight! A ton of rocket launchers ain't gonna do it.

You guys should all be proud of yourselves. What parts did you like best? I thought that final showdown between Team Charlie and the two maroon stars was pretty awesome. I had no idea which star would make it through.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Spendlove » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 am

I liked the unpredictability of the PEFs. When those two mobs appeared on the left it turned the whole game into desperate survival.

I just want to say thanks for running that Josta. That must have ben a lot of work for you to keep track of and it is hugely appreciated.

I think we all learned something new from the game. A great exercise.

More games planned? Or do you need a lie down in a darkened room for a month? :lol:
Spendlove
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby WargamingR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am

Quick response - I'm still packing for the holiday and need to leave in an hour :-(

I really, REALLY, enjoyed playing the game, and I hope you (or someone else) is willing to try this again - it could also be a different THW ruleset, although I would love to carry on with this set & group for more scenarios.

I think using the map from another game worked well.

At times when the thread got longer and I needed to refer back to setup or previous turns I had wondered whether the setup phase and each turn should be separate threads - I'm interested to hear what others think. I also wondered whether having set days when orders have to be in by would be easier, say Mon & Thu for example, especially for Josta running it to give him a breather!

Overall I learnt a lot from playing the game and had a huge amount of fun, tension, "oh my gawd, what's going to happen next" moments - almost all the things I used to get from face-to-face gaming - so I count this as a big success!

Thank you Josta for suggesting it and all the time and effort you put into it :D :D :D
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 am

Not a problem, I enjoyed it. Next time I want to participate as a player. Seeing some of the threads about other games here has got me curious about what it's like to play an RPG.

And now I want to buckle down and learn how to play football THW style. That's my next project.

Have a great trip, WargamingR! Glad we got this done before you left.

Scott
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Calebhero » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:27 pm

I really enjoyed the game too. Thanks so much for running it.

Favorite moments (I have two).

1. The face off between the 2 stars. That was so cool.

2. When Alpha team had to decide whether to stay on the hill or split up to move toward the enemy. I loved the feeling that I had to move my team carefully. I really felt like I was risking enemy fire or getting stuck in a bad position. I really like the fact that staying put and only setting up my firing line more effeciently was a very valid tactical choice.
Calebhero
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby josta59 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Calebhero wrote: I really like the fact that staying put and only setting up my firing line more effeciently was a very valid tactical choice.

Sure was! They couldn't touch your team in those last two turns.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

PreviousNext

Return to Play by Post