CR3 play-by-post

A place to run games online

CR3 play-by-post

Postby josta59 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Hoping this is ok with the mods...

With this thread I hope to introduce the concept of play-by-post to this forum. I've been doing this for a long time in another forum and it works great.

We're actually going to play a THW game here...or at least give it a good try.

This thread will come in sections. First we'll have a call for players. Then the players will discuss the details of the game. And then we'll play it. If it goes well, we might finish by talking about what went well and what didn't, and how or if to proceed with more games.

You may be thinking, how could we play a miniatures game in the forum? While that can be done very well (see here if you don't believe me), it can't be done by me because I don't own minis. That's weird because I'm a THW fan, I know. But I've been playing CR3 on a virtual 2D hexmap with counters, and that's what we'll be doing in this first game. Don't worry, I've got it all figured out. And I'm hoping eventually people with minis will get some ideas and try moderating their own forum games.

Calebhero has already said he'll play, so he's in. I can take up to seven more players. If no one else joins, I'll just play a game with Calebhero.

So here's where you sign up if you're interested. I'll give it a week or so and then we can start discussing details.

Scott
Missiles in Managua: Sandies and Spetsnaz assault a Contra hideout!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Re: CR3 play-by-post

Postby Spendlove » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Are you thinking of a versus game or a coop game against a GM?
Spendlove
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Spendlove wrote:Are you thinking of a versus game or a coop game against a GM?

That's one of the details to be decided. We could easily do either. Maybe we'll take a vote.

If that's a criterion for joining in the fun, I'll be happy to accommodate you. Got a preference?
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Sablemage » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm potentially interested, depending primarily on when and how often turns are posted. If nothing else I'll kibitz to see how PbP works on a forum.

I've played in and run a number of PbP games, and would struggle to post on a daily basis, which a number of them require.

I'd also suggest you allow for (a) a significant proportion of people dropping out, and (b) new guys joining in part way through the game. Stuff happens In Real Life and people can't always see the game out. (Apologies if teaching you to suck eggs there.)
Sablemage
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Sablemage wrote:I'm potentially interested, depending primarily on when and how often turns are posted. If nothing else I'll kibitz to see how PbP works on a forum.

I've played in and run a number of PbP games, and would struggle to post on a daily basis, which a number of them require.

I'd also suggest you allow for (a) a significant proportion of people dropping out, and (b) new guys joining in part way through the game. Stuff happens In Real Life and people can't always see the game out. (Apologies if teaching you to suck eggs there.)

Thanks for bringing that up, Sablemage. On the forum where I play (http://militarywargaming.com), we're extremely laid back. It's not unusual for one game to take more than a year, and some never finish. That turns some people off, but I don't mind it a bit. There will be no requirements of any kind in this game.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Spendlove » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Put me down for a coop game. Any genre although I would prefer something Weird War / Horror/ Sci Fi or Fantasy orientated.

I would LOVE to play All Things Zombie in a persistant world that would be amazing!
Spendlove
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby WargamingR » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm definitely interested - I guess my preferences are SciFi/Fantasy, but happy to give anything a go ;-)
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm so happy you guys are interested. I had considered this a long shot. And I've never gotten responses so fast on my other forum!

Let's do a co-op like Spendlove requested. And that being the case, I'm going to go ahead and close the call for players because three is plenty. I never thought that would happen so quickly.

So we have:
  • Calebhero (no preferences mentioned so far)
  • Spendlove (prefers weird war/horror/sci-fi/fantasy)
  • WargamingR (prefers sci-fi/fantasy)

I'm thinking let's go sci-fi since I'm not prepared to try CR3 in a fantasy context. I'm sorry to say I know nothing about 5150, but someone else can run that one later.

Which brings me to the next question, and you all have a vote. Would you like to:
A. Build your own world, context, characters, scene, scenario, etc., as a group?
B. Base the game on a previously built fictional world from film or literature?
C. Have me try to come up with something original?
D. Just freaking play a game, sheesh.

I've not played dungeon master before and was really only prepared to put counters on a map and throw dice. But if we're doing sci-fi, we may have to poke someone's imagination a little bit to keep you guys interested in the game. Let me know your thoughts.

The call for players is now closed (in freaking record time)
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Biddo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 pm

I suggest keeping it simple for this first attempt at playing a game through this forum. Just do a quick simple scenario so you guys can work through whatever issues/bugs might pop up. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Biddo
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Spendlove » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Seriously I'm happy with anything :-)
Spendlove
Rep 4
Rep 4

Next

Return to Play by Post