Ludanto vs josta59: SA H2H Action in Syria!

A place to run games online

Re: Ludanto vs josta59: SA H2H Action in Syria!

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:13 pm

heheh

Ok yes, we can say that Brumley loaded up another grenade at the end of your activation in Turn 6, since there was no one for them to active fire at.

Brumley fires a grenade at Rehman. Firing 1d6=4 + Rep5, and it's a miss due to cover.

Schroeder fires at Jama, 3d6=3,3,2 + Rep3, and all shots miss.

Syrian reaction: +1d6 for in cover, no leader. 3d6=3,3,2, both militants pass 2 and duck back due to outgunned (Rehman regains his feet in order to duck back.) They hide behind the wall, out of LOS.

That ends Turn 7, and Brumley's group has now spent an entire turn in the chopper area and has thus retrieved the black box (even though they were prone the whole time...we'll just assume they grab it before they leave).
Missiles in Managua: Sandies and Spetsnaz assault a Contra hideout!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Turn 8
Activation roll: US 1, Syrians 1, reroll. US 6, Syrians 2.

Only Syrians activate this turn, and they're no longer ducked back.

Jama readies a grenade, 2d6=3,5 vs Rep4, pass 1. Grenade is not readied but can be thrown in reaction or when next active.

I don't see how Jama could fire his weapon after readying a grenade, so he'll stay out of LOS for now.

Rehman comes into LOS, dropping prone again.

In-sight test: US gets full dice, Syrians get -1d6 for active/moved, -1d6 for enemy concealed, -1d6 for no leader.

US 5d6=6,2,3,5,2 for 3 successes. Syrians 1d6=4 for 0 successes.

Schroeder gets to fire at Rehman again. Since the US side has failed to activate two turns in a row, the grenade launcher will not be reloaded this time (SA page 15 or CR3.1 page 9, Other Actions).

Pretty sure I know what he'll do, but don't want to assume. 3 shots at Rehman?

Syria table_11_turn 8 in-sight.jpg
(181.39 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Ludanto wrote:(Also, it never occurred to me that Carry On is "worse" than Return Fire. I guess that shows the benefit of not playing solo all of the time.)

Actually we're not comparing Carry On to Return Fire. With a man down, the options are Carry On (pass 2d6), Duck Back (pass 1d6), and Hunker Down (pass 0d6). I wasn't making a judgment; just going by the table. Return Fire is only an option when you're fired upon and no one is hit. This was the case even back in CR3.0 and the SA rules.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 am

Schroeder x3 shots at Rehman. Yes.

(You're doing all of the heavy lifting here, so we'll keep playing it this way, but I don't think there's anything that says that you have to reload a grenade launcher.)

(The "Received Fire" text [p18] refers to individual figures. "Whenever a figure has been shot at and not hit it will take this test. All figures within 4" of the targeted figure will also take the test and react accordingly if possible.)
Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon.
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Ludanto wrote:(You're doing all of the heavy lifting here, so we'll keep playing it this way, but I don't think there's anything that says that you have to reload a grenade launcher.)

Yeah, technically you're right. This is a common sense thing, which seems to be in the spirit of things around here. If Jama just readied a grenade, how can he fire a weapon, knowing how grenades work? (Notice I could've followed the letter of the rules and let him fire anyway.) If Brumley just fired two grenades in reaction and hasn't activated in two turns, and one must be active to reload, how can he fire another grenade now?

Ludanto wrote:(The "Received Fire" text [p18] refers to individual figures. "Whenever a figure has been shot at and not hit it will take this test. All figures within 4" of the targeted figure will also take the test and react accordingly if possible.)

I forgot that I actually used to play it that way. But then it was pointed out to me that CR3.0 says reaction tests are taken by groups, so I got used to doing it that way. CR3.1 doesn't say that (didn't notice until now), and neither does SA. (CR3.1 does say that when a figure qualifies for more than one reaction test, you just roll once and take the worst result. But we're only using CR3.1 for in-sights in this game.) So I'll give in on this one, even though it's going to mean more work since there will probably be a lot more firing back and forth. But thanks for setting me straight.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:05 pm

(I was thinking SA had a grenade launcher more like an M32, I guess.)

(Go ahead and do the reactions the way you like. You're the one doing all of the processing, and as long as I know what's going on, it's cool. It sounds like I might even like it better.)
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Ludanto wrote:(I was thinking SA had a grenade launcher more like an M32, I guess.)

The USMC is using that. Show me one the Army is using, or their plans to acquire one soon, and I'll let Brumley fire it this turn. :lol:

Ludanto wrote:(Go ahead and do the reactions the way you like. You're the one doing all of the processing, and as long as I know what's going on, it's cool. It sounds like I might even like it better.)

Thanks! Not only is it easier, but it makes some sense. These are gut reactions, and while your gut reaction to being fired on might be to fire back (mine would be to run like hell), that might not be your gut reaction to seeing one of your own get hit, especially knowing there are fewer people in your own group firing weapons now.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:20 pm

After a private discussion about near-future grenade launchers... :lol:

Schroeder fires at Rehman, 3d6=5,5,1 + Rep3, miss due to cover/prone.

Rehman reaction: +1d6 for in cover, no leader. 3d6=3,2,3, pass 2, snap fire.

Rehman snap fires at the cause of the reaction (Schroeder), 4d6=6,4,3,1 + Rep4, hit once.

Schroeder damage 1d6=5, "knocked down." Recover test 2d6=3,3, pass 2, carries on (but counts as man down since he would've been knocked down if not prone).

US reaction (man down), +1d6 for cover, + ldr die, 4d6=1,6,6,3, all pass 2 and carry on.

Rehman active fires, firing right to left. 4d6=6,5,1,1 + Rep4, Mayer is hit and Rehman has tight ammo.

Mayer damage 1d6=6, KD. Recover 2d6=1,1, pass 2, carries on.

US reaction (man down), 4d6=6,4,4,2, Brumley passes 2 and carries on, all others pass 1 and duck back.

Syrian PEF A moves out of the building and stops in a spot where it can still keep an eye on US PEF C.

Syria table_12_turn 8 syrian move.jpg
(247.62 KiB) Downloaded 683 times

Rehman moves out of LOS (almost forgot).

Turn 9
Activation: US 5, Syrians 6. Only the Americans activate this turn. They come out of ducked-back status.

What are your orders?
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Can't believe I never checked LOS between Jama and your PEF A. I'm sure it existed. :roll:
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Brumley's team stands up and moves south, putting the building there between them and Jama's position.

'A' moves south-east and takes up a position in front of the door there.

'C' moves to the other door, tries to kick it open (twice if necessary) and then moves north around the outside.

USArmyTurn9A.JPG
(26.25 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

PreviousNext

Return to Play by Post