Ludanto vs josta59: SA H2H Action in Syria!

A place to run games online

Ludanto vs josta59: SA H2H Action in Syria!

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Two Hour Wargames Forum’s first ever head-to-head play-by-post wargame!

This game will be played using Star Army rules, supplemented with the Nuts! FV Crossover to SA conversion supplement and using Chain Reaction 3.1 for in-sight checks.

Our setting is a rebel militant hideout somewhere in Syria in 2015. The US Army has finally put boots on the ground in the effort against…basically everyone in Syria. An Army helicopter has crashed in a village run by Free Syrian Army militants who are now in league with the Islamic State. The US Army has sent infantry to recover the chopper's black boxes, which contain technology and information they don’t want the IS to recover.

Here is the virtual game tabletop, with the crashed chopper near the center, outlined in green. There is a ruler and a couple of "figures" for scale.

Syria table_setup_small.png
(241.63 KiB) Downloaded 1136 times

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/scottsalsman/Syriatable_setup_zps222cf721.png

And now our contestants! Playing as a squad of US Army Infantry, modeled after the Gaea Prime Star Army, fresh from passing Calculus II and having his ass handed to him by meanies on another planet, it’s LUDANTO!

And his opponent, playing as a squad of Syrian militant insurgents, modeled after the Gaea Prime Planetary Defense Force, fresh from having half his squad crushed under a roof in Nicaragua, it’s JOSTA59!

We will be using a few house rules, as follows:
  • The US squad’s goal is to spend an entire turn with at least half the squad’s members within the green box near the center and then exit at least 1 squad member off the US Start Zone. The militant squad’s goal is to either kill all the US squad members or spend 3 entire turns with at least half the squad’s members within the green box and then exit at least 1 squad member off the Militant Start Zone.
  • The US squad will use assault rifles and SAWs instead of laser rifles, but will receive a grenade launcher trooper.
  • Each player may divide his squad among 3 PEF markers, making note of which PEF represents which squad members. PEFs not populated by squad members will resolve as aerial drones or child informants, neither of which may be fired upon. Opposing squad members resolved by drones or informants will be visible for the remainder of the game.
  • PEFs do not have Rep, and all may be moved each turn in whatever order and direction the player desires, as long as his side is active. US PEFs may be moved up to 10", while militant PEFs may be moved up to 8".
  • To balance the higher Rep and heavier armor of the US squad, the militant squad automatically receives an Investment Level of 4 vs the US IL of 3, giving them a slightly greater chance of receiving reinforcements.
  • Filled blue rectangles on the map represent doors, while unfilled blue rectangles represent windows. Passage through doors incurs a 2” movement cost. In addition, US squad members must pass a Challenge Test to pass through any door unless it has already been opened (this applies to US PEFs as well as resolved squad members). Windows are treated as glassless.
  • Rules concerning building interiors resemble those for woods. A figure inside a building is automatically in cover, and, if not moving, is also concealed. Visibility within buildings is limited to 6”. Interior walls are ignored, and there are no stairs.
  • There are no “Stars” in this game.
  • There will be no random events.

With all that out of the way, the next step is for both players to roll up their squads and post the details.

I hope you’re all as pumped as I am for this!
Missiles in Managua: Sandies and Spetsnaz assault a Contra hideout!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Re: Ludanto vs josta59: SA H2H Action in Syria!

Postby Ludanto » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:18 pm

OK. Let's see if I'm doing this right:

Code: Select all
Summers (LDR1)  REP5 HBA MV10 SAW
Brumley (LDR2)  REP5 HBA MV10 GL
Urbina          REP3 HBA MV10 AR
Haywood         REP3 HBA MV10 AR
Vollmer         REP3 HBA MV10 AR
Mayer           REP3 HBA MV10 AR
Gainey          REP3 HBA MV10 AR
Schroeder       REP3 HBA MV10 AR
Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon.
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Perfect. Ouch on the Rep3...you had to roll a 6 to get that, right? Tough luck there. Makes this interesting.

You have me beat on using code, but here's mine:

Dallal (LDR1)... REP4 SBA MV8 SMG
Kabir (LDR2)... REP4 SBA MV8 SMG
Rehman... REP4 SBA MV8 SAW
Shahan... REP4 SBA MV8 AR
Jama... REP4 SBA MV8 AR
Shafi ... REP4 SBA MV8 AR
Sala... REP4 SBA MV8 AR
Abed... REP4 SBA MV8 AR
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 pm

The next step is to privately assign your squad members (or nothing) to each of your 3 PEFs, which will be labeled A, B, and C, and I'll do the same.

Also, have a look at this picture and let me know if this is an ok spot for your PEFs to start, or if you'd like me to move one or more.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/scottsalsman/Syriatable_setup2_small_zps102b492d.png

Once you've done this, I'll roll for Turn 1 activations! So just let me know and the game can begin.

For our audience: Ludanto already knows this, but there is a wall (a little hard to see) 8" in front of the US Start Zone. To get to the chopper, he'll have to either pass 1 Challenge Test to scale the wall or 2 Challenge Tests to get through the 2 doors of the building adjacent to it (never mind what's south of the building...lava maybe?). If he chooses to go through the building, the doors will remain open, making his escape easier if he retrieves the black boxes before I do. CHOICES!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Like this, but otherwise ready!

ArmyStart.jpg
(36.22 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Iiiiiit's time!! (Been watching a lot of UFC lately.)

Turn 1
Activation roll: Army: 6, Militants: 4

Ouch, tough luck again as the US PEFs (Leader Rep 5) are not going anywhere this turn. Maybe they're still trying to process their orders, or Summers is giving a motivational speech (typical Summers (X-Men reference)).

Meanwhile the Syrian PEFs (Leader Rep 4) move out. Each has 8" of movement available for this turn. They split up.

Syrian PEF A heads into a nearby building, using 2" for movement through a door. PEF B heads west, while PEF C heads into the building due south.

This ends Turn 1.

Syria table_02_end turn 1.jpg
(229.66 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times

Stand by for Turn 2 activation roll.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Turn 2
Activation roll: US 3, Syrians 3. No random events in this game, so we re-roll.
US 1, Syrians 4. Syrians move first.

Syrian PEF A moves to a window and stops. PEF B heads southwest 8". PEF C opens the southern door to the building it occupies and stops.

Syria table_03_turn 2 Syrian move.jpg
(230.24 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times

Time for the Army to get a move on! Please post your PEF movements.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:44 pm

'A' makes for the door to the west, kicks open the door and steps inside.
'B' follows and passes 'A' (unless 'A' doesn't get the door open, of course).
'C' moves north, scales the wall and stops before the door.

My measuring might be a little off. If so, just get as close as you can, I suppose.

ArmyTurn2A.JPG
(23.24 KiB) Downloaded 1106 times
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:14 pm

PEF A passed 2 dice (2d6=2,2) in the Challenge Test (CR3.1) and opened the door.

PEF C rolled 2d6=3,6 and only passed 1 die. Do you want to roll again? You have to pass 2 dice next time to scale the wall. Or you can decide to do something else instead.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Ugh. 'C' tries again, I guess. If 'C' fails, then what? Lose a turn or something?
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Next

Return to Play by Post